Tunze ReefPack 500

jervismun

As requested by fellow reefers, here's a 360º review of the Tunze ReefPack 500. Retailing at around S$800.00 (complete set).

I will start the review tonight! So do tune in...

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neokn: The ReefPack comes with a DOC Skimmer too. After running for 2 days, I must say that I am very happy with the result. It produces a lot lesser noise as compared to the Dymax LS-20 I was running previously ~ possible noise reduction in the high-quality pumphead. And the extra wide cup improves skimming power, IMO.

Will post some pics tonight :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Reefpack 500

(0500.000)

TUNZE® Reefpack 500 constitutes a new water treatment concept for reef aquariums from 200 to 500 litres (52 to 132 USgal.). It consists of an automatic skimmer with a 500-litre (158 USgal.) air output and a mechanical quick-run filter with Turbelle® 1600/2 as well as Osmolator in one unit. The Reefpack has been designed for beginners as well as for experienced aquarists. Thus, it is possible to operate a marine or reef biotope aquarium in any standard glass tank without any complications. The water is treated on the basis of organic debris removal and contains no biological stages. Like all TUNZE® components, the Reefpack is a modular solution, which can be supplemented with the automatic calcium dispenser 3170 or bio reactor 3179, among other things.

Reefpack 500 in detail:

SKIMMING PROCESS: Skimmer module DOC Skimmer 9005 with Comline Filter 3166 combined to one unit.

FILTRATION: Comline Filter 3166 combines bottom and surface suction with latest cartridge technology. The filter cartridge can be washed, and another five spare cartridges have been included.

WATER CURRENT: Turbelle® Powerhead 1600/2 with 1,620 l/h (428 US gal./h) integrated in the filter.

WATER LEVEL CONTROL: Osmolator 3155 integrated in the filter including Storage Container 5002.25 with a volume of 27 litres (7.1 USgal.).

HOLDING DEVICE: The Reefpack can be mounted to a vertical (1) / (2) or horizontal glass pane. The holder extension (4) also enclosed can be used to mount the Reefpack to almost all aquarium frames almost invisibly.

POWER CONSUMPTION: 24 W per hour only, 230V/50Hz (115V/60Hz).

SUPPLY CONDITION: Ready for mounting with holding device, storage container and filter cartridges.

DIMENSIONS: Including skimmer cup: L225 x W135 x H388mm (L8.8 x W5.3 x H15.2in.).

post-14-1141198993.jpg

:lol: You guys are so fast... Didn't have to wait until tonight I guess. Thanks guys for providing all the technical details.

So I just have to share with you guys the actual user experience and results of the product. And some pix for sure.

I'm home... ok the skimmer in working fine. Here's a pix showing the protein skimmer in action!

post-14-1141212367.jpg

The most obvious advantage of introducing the Tunze Reefpack 500 into a Nano Cube is its ability to draw 50% water from the bottom and 50% water from the top surface skimmer. The water flows in steadily through the surface skimmer, removing floating particles and oil from the surface. It also encourages air exchange on the surface, that is to exchange unwanted (and usually harmful) CO2 with oxygen.

The operation is very silent, not like a sump tank intake creating a waterfall effect. Almost unnoticeable.

post-14-1141212664.jpg

As you might have notice, the skimmer collection cup is very wide indeed. The core is also a lot wider than the usual skimmer, allowing a very large amount of bubbles rising from beneath. After observing this skimmer for 2 days, I am convinced that this is a superior product that will work very hard for many years to come. Again, it's not as noisy as my old Dymax LS-20 hang-on skimmer.

One danger of having a hang-on protein skimmer is... flood! I once experienced a disaster where the pump (with uneven flow due to water level changes) pumped too much salt water into the collection cup, forcing it to burst open... and 25% of my tank water ended up on the floor. So with the DOC skimmer inside the tank, the worst that can happen is water flowing back into the tank!

But again, this will not happen as the Tunze ReefPack will always maintain a constant water level 24/7 without fail... unless the refill bucket went dry and you missed the really high-pitch warning signal.

Will talk more about water refilling next. Oh! The tank just refill itself, lol. :bow:

post-14-1141213318.jpg

Because the skimmer can only work its optimum at a set water level, the ReefPack 500 comes with the Osmolator. It consists of a 10g watertight container with the controller (shown on top of the white container)...

post-14-1141213592.jpg

The controller is then connected to the:

1. Optical sensor (pix: diagonal right of the filter medium) – which will detect the level of the water. If the water isn't touching the sensor, it will activate the mini pump inside the white container. The pump will be deactivated once the water touches the tip of the sensor.

2. Emergency sensor (pix: diagonal left of the filter medium) – this sensor is just an added safety feature in case the optical sensor fails. Once the water reaches its tip, it will cut-off the pump regardless of reading gathered from the optical sensor.

Both sensors were nicely attached inside the ReefPack filter compartment. Neat and sweet!

In case both sensors fail, the pump will deactivate itself if it runs longer than 8 minutes continuously. And stay deactivated. There will be high-pitch sound demanding attention.

So this system really provides peace of mind when it comes to auto-topping. Probably there are too many problems encountered with other similar systems in the past.

Really appreciate the 2 "in case" features... so no more flooding the floor :D

post-14-1141214158.jpg

This shows the inside of the white container. There's a really tiny pump inside (kinda noisy so you know when your water is topping up itself) connected to a thin rubber tube that will deliver water to the tank. Notice they even cut 2 small holes to allow the electrical cabel and tube to run through without any loss of water due to evaporation. Yes, the lid is 100% water-tight!

The controller above it also contains different colour LEDs to indicate its status and activities.

post-14-1141214393.jpg

Ok now I really sound like a Tunze salesperson :lol:

Just to assure you guys, I am not a salesperson but a designer. I run my own design studio.

So, no connection with Tunze whatsoever, except I am a very happy Tunze owner. Just want to share with you my discovery. Hope you guys find it useful. And do post me any questions regarding the product. I will continue to monitor the product, so if there's any problem, I will let you guys know.

Well, ok... there's one disadvantage, nothing is perfect. It's a bit big for a 24g Nano Cube. It takes up almost 30% of the tank space. As this product is intended for a much larger tank. Well, it's not the product's fault I guess, it's mine.

So yes, the product is PERFECT!!! :yeah:

p.s.: I bought all my Tunze equipments from Reefdepot.com.sg... good attentive service and very punctual delivery. And some freebies too :heh:

can show pic of your tank with reefpack 500?

how much space it occupies?

Boxfish, specially shot just for you :D

post-14-1141221037.jpg

Full view of my tank!

post-14-1141221164.jpg

can show pic of your tank with reefpack 500?

how much space it occupies?

You seem interested, are u getting one?

The auto water top-up feature still amazes me everytime it adds water to my tank... like a "maid" doing her job well, lol.

See how hard the skimmer is working for my tank... he is quiet, but he'll bite! lol

post-14-1141300489.jpg

This is what I call candy floss foam... nice huh? And my tank is not even stocked.

post-14-1141300710.jpg