MH or T5

hammy

have been comtemplating between 4 x T5 24w HO lighting or a single 150w Mh for my 2 feet tank ,ungrade from 2 x 24 w HO.

keeping LPS and softies . hoping to keep clam.

i know the shimmering effect of MH is nice .

hope to hear from some reefer some ideas and sharings which one should i choose .

thank u :D

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

i suggest using the T5s will be gd....im using that too...

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

hi there bro hammy,

the shimmering effect can be created for T5s with good parabolic reflectors. the Aquaz reflectors are actually not bad. in my present tank, even without parabolic reflectors, just with the foil reflectors in my atman light casing within which are my HO-T5s, theres a little shimmering already. i think the surface agitation or movement of water just needs to be greater for the shimmering effect to be visible for T5s. You can also add a couple of LEDs for the shimmering effect as LEDs have very directional photon emissions. just try using a normal cheap LED torchlight and shine in across an area of water turbulence and youll see lots of shimmering. so that way, you can just add two more tubes to your present 2x 24w set up, and save costs and reduce heat load, and reduce the chances of your corals bleaching or not being able to adapt to the MH lightings.

cheers bro,

ian

wow thanks cool, k0na_scab, Alvin Tan, iantoh for the input . my tank dun have space to put another retrofit , so was thinking the economical starlite which is only 170 dollars .

or the dymax clip on retail at 290 .

getting another retrofit is only 98 , however the placement of the light will be like bro iantoh. and i am very clumsy. haiz .

the optopus clip on

post-7-1141722394.jpg

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

starlite , come with leg too. dun light to drill here or there . but if no choice i will do it

post-7-1141722463.jpg

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

hi there bro hammy,

the shimmering effect can be created for T5s with good parabolic reflectors. the Aquaz reflectors are actually not bad. in my present tank, even without parabolic reflectors, just with the foil reflectors in my atman light casing within which are my HO-T5s, theres a little shimmering already. i think the surface agitation or movement of water just needs to be greater for the shimmering effect to be visible for T5s. You can also add a couple of LEDs for the shimmering effect as LEDs have very directional photon emissions. just try using a normal cheap LED torchlight and shine in across an area of water turbulence and youll see lots of shimmering. so that way, you can just add two more tubes to your present 2x 24w set up, and save costs and reduce heat load, and reduce the chances of your corals bleaching or not being able to adapt to the MH lightings.

cheers bro,

ian

bro , is ur surface agitation very powerful?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

the clip on are very convenient. You get a lot of working space if you use the clip on.

But a word of caution, if you are going to use the Dymax octopus, please be care ful as the metal casing is EXTREMELY hot. I have burnt myself on the light on several occassion.

Alternatively, you can consider the Solite clip on. It is very sleek looking and prices are more competitive compard to dymax.

I think you can get Solite from Aquamarin or Irwana.

the clip on are very convenient. You get a lot of working space if you use the clip on.

But a word of caution, if you are going to use the Dymax octopus, please be care ful as the metal casing is EXTREMELY hot. I have burnt myself on the light on several occassion.

Alternatively, you can consider the Solite clip on. It is very sleek looking and prices are more competitive compard to dymax.

I think you can get Solite from Aquamarin or Irwana.

thanks man . yup . recently AM earned a lot of my money haha

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

:o please continue to provide them 'financial $upport'...hee hee hee :D;)

financial support is never ending.

anyway decided to stick to T5 after talking to reefers and work out the cost.

thanks to all who had help mi especially bro iantoh

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

bro , is ur surface agitation very powerful?

i second the comment about surface agitation

i am using T5NO, and i didn't notice it until today, when my buddy came over to view my tank, can notice the shimmering effect on my sandbed, even using T5s

• SRC Member

sorry to hijack tis thread...

Im gog to upgrade to a 4by2by2.5(ht)ft tank...

Is T5 powerful enough???for a ht of 2.5ft tall???

Im keeping mostly LPS lor...

Have being thinkingof 2*150w mh or t5 lor...E inital cost is abt e same....its e maintanance cost n heat tat is worrying me....as if its too hot my chiller will run longer n cost higher.....hmmmm

can anyone advise??? :(

tks :thanks:

• SRC Member

Erm.... bro marble... for your tank, since you indicated you will be going for LPS and softies,... The T5 would be good enough..But you will need alot of tubes... supplement the 2 T5 with 2 150W metal halide would be great. Hope this helps....