Comments on design needed

vipermako

• SRC Member

Inspired by Maxstar81, also want to make a pico tank similar to his. Any copyright infringement??

Look somethin like this....

perspectiveView.jpg

overalldimension.jpg

partitiondimension.jpg

others.jpg

Want to check with you guys, whether the flow sequence is right.

Intend to put a Tunze nano skimmer in the overflow compartment, is it ok?

How high should be the return flow hole.

Want to make sure design is right before sending to Maxstar81's friend for making.

Wow! Pro lah! Just one thing... the holes for the overflow comb looks too wide to me.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

pal, the return pipe hole look too close to the edge - whats the actual dim? U may risk breaking it during the drill process

If u intend to use tunze nano, heard that it is very sensitive to water level fluctuation. Based your CAD drawing, it looks like u are putting it in the 1st compartment, But your sump compartment wall design is not meant to hold a stable level of water... so, u may have problem tuning the skimmer water level.

Secondly, your 2nd wall is only 20mm from the top.... looks alittle risky if for certain reason, the sump is clogged up while your return pump continue to work, u may actually overflow out.

My personal preference is do may the wall like this... but it depends on how u like of coz.

post-69-1142437864.jpg

• SRC Member

nicholas_yeo,

nice addition regarding the walls.... :o

vipermako,

Cool !!! :lol:

Teeth too big, i had a lot of shrimps getting into the overflow.

I suggest U give more space for the main display. Not enuff

dept will result in limited choices when buying corals.

PS, cani know what software U use to draw ?

• SRC Member

thanks! guys for advices, esp nicholas.

Maxstar81, the software is solidworks.

I hv increased the depth from 1ft [300mm] to about 350mm.

I may change my mind on making this tank though, as i hv setup a pico at my bedside and hv the intention to CONVERT my 2ft FW to SW. Maybe can adopt this built-in sump idea and mod the 2ft tank accordingly. Will model it up in solidworks to see how it would look like.

thanks! guys for advices, esp nicholas.

Maxstar81, the software is solidworks.

I hv increased the depth from 1ft [300mm] to about 350mm.

I may change my mind on making this tank though, as i hv setup a pico at my bedside and hv the intention to CONVERT my 2ft FW to SW. Maybe can adopt this built-in sump idea and mod the 2ft tank accordingly. Will model it up in solidworks to see how it would look like.

Hi there

You're a product/industrial designer? Coz I use Solidworks too :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

good to hear that solidworks is used by product designers too.

I am a R&D Engineer occasionally need to design some mechanical components and some FEM analysis. Hv been using it since '96 purely for engineering but suddenly got this idea of using it to design my tanks. Looks good and the user-friendliness of the software make it very easy to make changes etc.

• SRC Member
May i know this type of IOS can use to keep marine?

I think this type of tank is ok except that you would have to make the modifications - adding the teeths for the overflow, the hole for the water to be pumped back. In theory any tank can be used if you are going to do a little modifications.

As a ex-product designer now school teacher I used to use AutoCAD now using SolidEdge and ProDesktop for CAD drawing although very little drawing nowsadys mostly draw by hand sketches to communicate with students.

• SRC Member

hi there bro vipermako,

just my two cents ya... the rate of flow through your overflow compartments will be limited by the space clearance between the two divider plates of glass, so do take note of that. if you plan to have higher return flow rates out of the return hole, to minimize the need for further powerheads of wavemakers within the display area itself (you might still need one though), then you should consider making the spacing between the two divider plates bigger. also, the flow rate through the compartments is in a similar manner, limited by the height of your secondary internal overflows, that is, not the height of the main tank overflow (as that determines your display tank's water height), but for the divider over which water flows under, or over, if you have it too low or too high, likewise youll reduce the possible rate of water flow through that area. best to give more leeway in those areas i think as this way, you can accomodate a larger range of flow rates through your internal sump. i had to redo my sump as i got these portions wrong the first time round, so thought id chime in. but superb drawings there, and a good fundamental design.

• SRC Member
hi there bro vipermako,

just my two cents ya... the rate of flow through your overflow compartments will be limited by the space clearance between the two divider plates of glass, so do take note of that. if you plan to have higher return flow rates out of the return hole, to minimize the need for further powerheads of wavemakers within the display area itself (you might still need one though), then you should consider making the spacing between the two divider plates bigger. also, the flow rate through the compartments is in a similar manner, limited by the height of your secondary internal overflows, that is, not the height of the main tank overflow (as that determines your display tank's water height), but for the divider over which water flows under, or over, if you have it too low or too high, likewise youll reduce the possible rate of water flow through that area. best to give more leeway in those areas i think as this way, you can accomodate a larger range of flow rates through your internal sump. i had to redo my sump as i got these portions wrong the first time round, so thought id chime in. but superb drawings there, and a good fundamental design.

thanks, Ian.