Getting started, need salt and rocks

Hi, just started setting up my tank, a really tiny one at 15x15 cm.

Are there any shops that sell small marine salt boxes? Everywhere I've been to sells those huge sacks and I don't need so much. I also need to get small live rocks to start off with, and the shops seem to sell by the kilogram. I think I only need 1 kg of rubble.

try reborn. i believe they have the 4kg RedSea salt. (or smaller)dunt get the bio-sometink salt by rainbow. (horrible)

they also have live rocks(uncured) depending on supply. not always have.

• SRC Member

Hrmz, i've not really seen any small salt packages for the more recognised brands. Why not just get a sack and stre them in a container. They have indefinate shelf life if you kee them dry.... :) Keep a lookout on the pasar malam section, maybe you can get a piece of rock from fellow reefers who are selling them.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

if u want rocks, u can try bio-ocean . they have very nice rocks

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

i dun mean to sound discouraging, but for ur tank THIS small (1/2 feet only), stay to 1 fish only ya? and ONLY damsel fish.

Rock-wise: Try the pasam malam section n see if anyone closing their tanks n selling liverocks. which area u stay? if u stay east, u can try Iwarna or Ah-Bengs's at Lor Halus. they sell liverocks of various sizes. but it all depends on availability. My advice is for u to get "Cured" liverocks from fellow reefers. Uncured ones in ur small tank.... when things inside the liverock starts to die off, ur ammonia will rocket high up, water quality will change, the tank will smell bad, and ur fish might up the lorry. Tell us which area (town ) u stay, and maybe one of us reefer who happens to stay near can give u a piece of small rock.

Salt-wise: there ARE LFS (local fish shops) selling small packets of marine salt. $8 per pack only. Highly dissolvable. Try ah bengs' also.

DO get a hydrometer to test ur Salinity/Specific Gravity. Given ur small tank-size, water parameters fluctuations can have significantly obvious effects on ur sensitive tank. I do NOT advise u to buy NSW (Natural Sea Water), (unless u drive, and can afford to go down to the LFS to buy NSW every week. These water bags are HEAVY!). Becuz for ur tank size, u might need to be changing ur tank water every 2 days. U will find urself running short of salt water very soon. So, having a medium packet of salt WILL come in handy.

Last but not least, before u start to introduce fish. Do read up more on how to start marine tanks and how to cycle water. most importantly, understand what we meant by ANN (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) cycle. this IS critical in whether ur tank survives thru the 3rd week. just curious, who gave u the idea of small such a small tank? (Pico tank)...

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

It's alright, this will be my 4th reef tank. I belonged to the wet/dry and skimmer schools more than 8 years ago... this time I'm going small and rock only, with just an external filter. Got the idea from nanoreefs.com.

Last time I kept lots of tubeworms, mandarins, and stuff like that. This time I plan to keep only polyps and mushrooms and maybe 1 shrimp.

• SRC Member
try reborn. i believe they have the 4kg RedSea salt. (or smaller)dunt get the bio-sometink salt by rainbow. (horrible)

they also have live rocks(uncured) depending on supply. not always have.

I used to use RedSea salt but I switched to BioMarine salt in the later stages.

Other than solubility issues, I have no problems using BioMarine salt. Can you are to share why its horrible?

• SRC Member

Bro;

I have Dead rock but not exactly small and some used salt water if you want. PM me and collect by Sunday, as I outstation on Monday morning...

I stay TP by the way.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.