Little Horse Tank at home

Chris Low

• SRC Member

Took a year to save and create a little haven for our 1st most successful generation. Total 7 male horses after letting go all pairs.... Got to stop breeding for a long time because of work commitment. Hope you guys enjoy my little creation for them....

post-32-1142690557.jpg

• SRC Member

Thank you for the welcoming message.... showing my entire setup. Keeping it neat, simple and easy maintenance is my theme.

Consist of:

a. 1/10 Hp chiller maintaining temp at 24 to 25 Deg C.

b. Box filter (Big) with only bio-ring full.

c. Box filter (Small) with chemical filtration such as Seachem Activated Charcoal

and Phosphate absober.

d. Sump loaded with bio-ring and mini refugium power by 13 Watt PL. Aglae :

Chaetomorpha.

e. Lighting by Aqua pro. 24 watt Actinic and 24 Watt PL. On only from noon to 8pm.

f. Prizm hangon skimmer

g. Tank size: 200 litre bare bottom.

post-32-1143117525.jpg

• SRC Member

.....continue.

1. Monthly utility bill $50.

2. Food for 7 horses: 2.5 cubes of Mysis Daily and enrich alternate day with Zoe and Zoecon.

3. Food for worms and Fans: 5cc of Conc DT from AquaTim.

4. Bare bottom tank allow weekly removal of detrius.

5. Top up weekly spoonful of Ca and Mg and trace minerals.

6. Fortnightly replace with DIY salt water 10% using Deionizer.

7. PH = 8.1 and NO3 = 1 PPM

post-32-1143118278.jpg

• SRC Member

Sea fans don't really mind the horses and kind of getting use to each other. Reason for sea fans is to help absorb mysis juice and tube worms to filter out the tiny mysis particles when the horses puff. However, this mere food is not sufficient, so DT come into play.

2 to 3 cubes of mysis daily put a great burden to the sewage plant. Rowa should be used and change 1/3 bottle monthly. Charcoal 1/3 bottle montly.

Have fun and keeping a horses only tank may not really be a chore :whistle unless productive couple..... :(

post-32-1143120099.jpg

• SRC Member

Keep it up Chris! Your work on seahorses command my deepest respect :)

I used to keep them for a while (in 1990s) but failed miserably. I think it is slightly easier to keep now due to better knowledge and technology but still your effort is impressive.

Show more pics please! :)

• SRC Member

Well not at all in this tone. But I do realise the horses look abit more orange in amber lighting when my dining hall lit up and tank light turn off. Lower temp would also bring out the colour. Haven't really tried out but would do so.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...