My First Clam!!!

jervismun

Normally, how long does it take for small damages like this to recover?

Will it grow back, in the first place? :thanks:

post-53-1143035512.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

dear bro jervismun, the clam's mantle will recover quite quickly if you are providing sufficient lighting, and adequate alk and ca levels. you should soon start to see bright white growth areas in the top portion of the clam's shell. shell growth is the best indicator of health in my opinion. if it has sufficient energy to grow its shell, dont worry bout the mantle's small blemishes ya. nice looking crocea bro!

bro brunei,

submerge your fingers and just pull the whole clam away from the rock to which it is attached to. dont worry about the byssal threads as those arent live. its sort of like a web material the clam uses to bind itself to a hard surface, but removing it wont hurt the clam. when you place it somewhere else, it will plant more byssal threads. when youve taken your clam up, try to use your fingers to nudge at one of the corners of your anemone's foot- in the same way you would sort of rub blue-tack or plasticine away when it has been left sticking to something for a long time. just prod it gently. your anemone should slowly release its grip. try to be patient in this process though, so as to avoid injuring the anemone's foot. if your anemone wont budge, then just place the clam with the anemone smack in front of a powerhead with the powerhead's outlet flow blasting straight at the anemone. it should soon move. maybe theyre both just jostling for the best lit areas in your tank bro, thats why the anemones clambering over your clam.

cheers,

ian

submerge your fingers and just pull the whole clam away from the rock to which it is attached to. dont worry about the byssal threads as those arent live. its sort of like a web material the clam uses to bind itself to a hard surface, but removing it wont hurt the clam.

If possible I would advise against doing that as you might damage the clam and leads to infection.

Better to use a knife and slowly cut the byssal threads.

Surprise!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah:

post-53-1143114990.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

New Crocea or is it a Ultra Maxima... lol..

It's another Crocea... got it from AM for a very reasonable price :)

post-53-1143115277.jpg

Hehe the new clam is even more beautiful today :rolleyes:

post-53-1143202075.jpg

• SRC Member

Wait til you see the color and the mantle matures or get use to the tank. It will be your most loved...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Wait til you see the color and the mantle matures or get use to the tank. It will be your most loved...

Oh I can't wait for that day already... here's a pix taken through my glass :rolleyes: Love the snake skin pattern :ooh:

post-53-1143205966.jpg

nice piece you got there! and they both seem to be doing great so far and is adapting well too!

Thanks bro... well they are less than a week (in my tank), so still crossing my fingers... hopefully they will flourish :) If everything goes well... I will be getting a piece of ultra maxima soon... must have the confidence first :peace:

looks really at home... remember to watch your calcium n KH

Both KH and Calcium is at good range... will continue monitor the parameters (once every 2 days). I am still trying to increase the KH slightly though...

The single LED moonlight shines on the clams at night... am I affecting them resting? Or it's natural for them to get a bit of moonlight at night? :thanks:

post-53-1143344833.jpg

Look who's creeping behind my clam Nº2 :pirate:

post-53-1143395078.jpg