"Floating" Anemone

• SRC Member

its not normal............

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

U might wanna try switching off ur lights and wave-maker (watever water pump u have that causes under-water currents). Let the anemone settle down in the dark first.

Alternatively, scoop it out and place it in another Quarantine tank for the time being.

Answer this question also: Did u acclimatise ur anemone or u just dump it in?

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

Bro Elune

I put the bag in the tank for about 20min then release it. It was ok at first staying on the sand bed, after about an hour, it starts to spin, just like your signature...

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

eh, floating the bad in the tank only lets it get used to the temperature. Did u do the proper drip-acclimatising? inverterbrates are very sensitive and requires very long drip acclimatising (recommended over an hour).

A very nice specimen... been looking for one :ph34r:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

eh, floating the bad in the tank only lets it get used to the temperature. Did u do the proper drip-acclimatising? inverterbrates are very sensitive and requires very long drip acclimatising (recommended over an hour).

That could be an unlikely answer but erm... the most straightforward answer is that the specimen is somehow stressed.

A strong anemone would have its foot planted down somehow and not be easily floating around for no good reason.

Perhaps you can put it in a less turbulent part of the tank, perhaps have it gently wedged near some rocks so it will become comfortable enough to secure its footing.

Watch it closely, if it shows signs of 'melting' remove it from the tank!

• SRC Member

Thanks so much for all the inputs

I will monitor it closely next morning and keep my fingers crossed now cos tank is in my office.....

Btw, how do u guys move an anemone? using hands? i will try to wedge it in between LRs tomorrow.

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

dear bro earth,

you can use your hands to move it, and its a far easier job if your anemone is not attached to any substrate, that is, free for you to move. just try to move it to an area where it will receive plenty of light, and a moderate flow. anemones, when they are discontent with the area they are in, for example, shoudl there be insufficient light, or something annoying it in that area, it will inflate itself to make itself bouyant, and let the currents carry it off to someplace else, so its not exactly uncommon, just that within our tanks, the hope is that it will find some place else it can be happy with, if not it will keep moving.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

Hi all, an update of the anemone...

Looks ok to me with no signs of melting, i tried to shift it up the highest level of the LR to get more light but it kept rolling down again...

So no choice, wedge it at the lowest level of the LR away from the return water flow. Currently resting peacefully there....

Will post pics later for u guys to assess if it is ok..

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

That could be an unlikely answer but erm... the most straightforward answer is that the specimen is somehow stressed.

A strong anemone would have its foot planted down somehow and not be easily floating around for no good reason.

Perhaps you can put it in a less turbulent part of the tank, perhaps have it gently wedged near some rocks so it will become comfortable enough to secure its footing.

Watch it closely, if it shows signs of 'melting' remove it from the tank!

:bow::bow::bow::lol::lol::thanks:

oK, AT's comment overrides (^_^||). I ain't no expert when it comes to anemones. Take AT's comment and ignore mine. Its stressed, no doubt.

Thanks for ur attention AT!

Bro Iantoh: :thanks: too, on the part of why anemones inflate themselves and let the current current them to another area... i learnt something from you again.

So, how's ur anemone already? Has it settled down?

• SRC Member

Bro Elune, i think its no harm for all of us sharing our experiences with each other, everyone has got their own views and different experiences. We should adopt a positive attitude to accept everyone's opinion with respect. :D:D Thanks for contributing to solve my problem.. :bow:

Here's some pics of the anemone:

post-6-1142994702.jpg

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank