diy cpu fan

remus

• SRC Member

i jus brought a cpu fan from sim lim tower as i saw one one of the bro said there is alot there so i went.But now the problem is tat it cannot fix to the socket .i ask those eletri shop to do but they said cannot fixed, so wonder any bros out there using cpu fan.And how to connect it or u can tell me where.Thks

Get any old power adapter that has sufficient voltage AND current ratings, from your old handphone, cordless phone, modem, routers, etc... then cut off the socket part, trim away the rubber tubing to reveal the 2 sets of copper wires, and finally attach to the YELLOW (+12DC) and BLACK (ground) molex connector of your CPU fan.

There are only 2 ways to connect the 2 copper wires to the yellow and black sockets of your CPU fan molex connector. If it doesn't work, simply swap the wires around. You have 50% chance of getting it right the first time, and 100% chance of getting it right the second time! :D

Note:

Most 80mm CPU fans are rated 12VDC, 100mA (0.10A). I have tried using 5VDC, 200mA power adapters on these fans, and they worked, although they spin much slower. But my 2 feet tank still gets cooled sufficiently.

It would be better to find adapters producing the same amount of voltage and current as the fan for optimum performance.

Also note that when the fan is spinning at top speed, it can be noisy. Lowering the speed <=> lower frequency of vibration and lower amplitude of sound <=> noise less noticeble to the human ear. Thus, it might be better to get a slower spinning 120mm DC fan instead of a faster spinning 80mm DC fan, even though both have the same rated airflow, in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). In other words, there is same performance but with less noise. ;)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• 4 months later...
any good cheap silent PC dc fan brand to recommand? wan to DIY....

you can go to sim lim tower basement 1 to buy...i bought 2 @ $2.50 each to cool my 2ft tank.....reduce from 30 to 28-28.5......as i put my tank near to the window so its warmer than most tank.....

Regards,

Wilson

Sim Lim Tower does sell a lot of cheap electronic stuff, including fans. However, I was surprised to find 80mm exhaust fans complete with 4-pin and 3-pin connecters, selling cheaply in Sim Lim Square!

The brand is iCute and I bought mine from Bell Systems Electronics Pte Ltd for S$3.00. Walk around, you should be able to find cheap exhaust fans in SLS. The problem with SLT is the opening hours. Most of the shops are closed after office hours.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

make sure the adaptor has sufficient current to unleash the "power" of the 80mm dc case fan :D

After my bigger adaptor blown, I happen to be at china town and bought a small adaptor from a shop at the complex with many tour agency. That woman owner told me "no need big adaptor.. small one can work liao!" ... walao forgot all my electrical knowledge and bought it cos it was cheaper. Sure the fan works if only 1 is connected to the adaptor. Forgetting I'm using a smaller adaptor, try to connect 2 fans to it and both fans run slowly. There goes my tank temperature...shooting up to 29 degree with 4 fans without T5 on!! :pinch: , but powered by 2 small adaptors. That's bad. Took me a while to figure out that I need one that has more current :P.

Replaced with 2 adaptors that can support 12V and 500mA and 1200mA lately and tank temperature goes down to 27 degree without T5 on and almost 28 degree with 5 x t5 on. Lesson learnt. :whistle

• SRC Member
us,Jul 26 2006, 10:30 PM] Sim Lim Tower does sell a lot of cheap electronic stuff, including fans. However, I was surprised to find 80mm exhaust fans complete with 4-pin and 3-pin connecters, selling cheaply in Sim Lim Square!

The brand is iCute and I bought mine from Bell Systems Electronics Pte Ltd for S$3.00. Walk around, you should be able to find cheap exhaust fans in SLS. The problem with SLT is the opening hours. Most of the shops are closed after office hours.

hey bro so u mean that there is no need for us to rewire the stuff ? juz pluge and play ?

hey bro so u mean that there is no need for us to rewire the stuff ? juz pluge and play ?

The AC to DC power adapter will not have a socket to plug into the CPU fan, although that fan comes with a form of socket. You will have to cut away the existing socket of the adapter then connect one wire to the YELLOW (+12V) and one wire to the BLACK (Ground) of the fan. There are only 2 wires from the adapter, so if this combination doesn't work, swap the wires and then it should work.

You can join the 2 wires by twisting them together, using a connector or solder them together.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)