Simple steps of setting up micro chiller

etuceojoj

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

What i can said is tank volume below 35Ltr should be able to cool it to minimum 25-26oC...

Now i am thinking of what material to use as cooling probe (for marine tank)

1. Aluminium (must anodised)

2. Stainless Steel ( OK anot ?)

3. Tatanium ( Too expensive le)

Great diy!

I know that some are using high grade stainless steel and shown that there is no sign of rust even after a year. Personally have not tried that.

Great diy!

I know that some are using high grade stainless steel and shown that there is no sign of rust even after a year. Personally have not tried that.

Had check some pricing on material....

1. Heatsink ($20) ( Big size ) got FOC better

2. Aluminium cooling probe ($10)

2a. Stainless cooling probe ($40)

3. Peltier ($22)

4. Fan ($10)

5. Screw ($2)

6. Cable ($2)

7. Thermal paste ($2)

9. Themostat (Is yr wish) cost is $90

9. Power supply unit 12V - 8.5A ($55)

10. Isolate foam ($2)

11. Wire tape ($1)

12. Aluminium probe for anodising (Marine use) ($55)

Above costing is estimated only (may be more or less)

I did mine dis way:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42805

its a mini fridge but i did open it up to take a look. Its running peltier inside.

Having it hanging on top of a tank is not a very good idea as peltier it self is cold on 1 side and hot on the other. Its open to electric shock. Not safe lah bro, sommoe cannot control the cold water current.

Just my 2cents

I did mine dis way:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42805

its a mini fridge but i did open it up to take a look. Its running peltier inside.

Having it hanging on top of a tank is not a very good idea as peltier it self is cold on 1 side and hot on the other. Its open to electric shock. Not safe lah bro, sommoe cannot control the cold water current.

Just my 2cents

Bro,

U know y yrs failed?

A peltier had a limited cooling volume with it wattage...

U DIY yrs with additional container which more water volume of around 10+ ltrs which yr peltier cooler box can't cool the total volume water...

Mine ideal is cooling the water volume of not more than 35ltrs, which the peltier cooling probe directly soak into water to cool it..

Sometime DIY is not $$ saving, is because we got no place to hold a chiller size which bordering our place..

About temp controlling with themostat, if got budget then we can spend additional $$ to fix on it...

See this picture of 1.5ft x 1ft x 1ft with fully setup with themostat....

Hope everyone got the ideal how it the Micro-chiller soak in water for cooling..

post-9-1143000404.jpg

I have read that peltier cooling is "good" for smaller tanks; most marine tanks here would not be suitable for peltier cooling.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

i want thinking if install let say 4~6 of these how much help can it be for those big tank like 5ft~6ft...

yes they wont lower the temp but at least help to slow down the speed of temp raise and thus result in shorter chiller run time also...

us,Mar 22 2006, 03:31 PM] I have read that peltier cooling is "good" for smaller tanks; most marine tanks here would not be suitable for peltier cooling.

It should be able to cool small tank like 1.5ft & below...

Now my worry what is the best materials to use as cooling probe ..

i want thinking if install let say 4~6 of these how much help can it be for those big tank like 5ft~6ft...

yes they wont lower the temp but at least help to slow down the speed of temp raise and thus result in shorter chiller run time also...

It will not help.

Big marine tank keeper prefer chiller..

It might not be cost-efficient to do so. In other words, you might be better off running your chiller more often than buying a couple of these peltiers and powering them for a long time.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

like tat wont it be better to get a chiller since the totally cost is also must be over hundred is it becos chiller is more expensive in the long run.

He already mentioned in his earlier post that this DIY is not for saving $$$, its more for ppl with space constraint. For nano tanks, it doesn't make sense to have a chiller that is nearly the size of your tank in you room generating heat and noise...

like tat wont it be better to get a chiller since the totally cost is also must be over hundred is it becos chiller is more expensive in the long run.

HaHaHa.....

As far as hobby, you have to spend $$....

My wife don't allow me to have a chiller in the living hall, it will warm up the hall.

DIY Micro-chiller is a secret, yr family member may not know what it is.

So you can keep yr aquarium cooling..

Btw, Gold is inert. ;)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

I was just kidding. :P

Gold is a metal so is a good heat conductor; gold is "very" inert so it is highly unlikely to react with the saltwater to for gold oxide.

Heh.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)