• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

As promised, here is the DIY Pico Skimmer for the 12G O Nano Cube.

Some consideration for the DIY Pico Skimmer;

- It must be small enough to fit into the 1st or 2nd Chamber and the canopy top must be able to close too.

- There must be no micro bubbles flowing out into the tank.

- Ease of installation and maintainenance.

I've tried 2 different methods of skimming : Using Aspirating pump method and Air Stone Method.

The Aspirating pump method works but too much micro bubbles are flowing back into the tank.

Note ;

- You may try using a 100l/hr powerhead instead of the Ehiem compact 300 which is 300l/hr. It may reduced the micro bubbles output. But using the aspirating method, the powerhead is pushing the water and bubbles out at the same time, so you must be careful.

- This pico skimmer neck is short and the contact time of bubbles is not long enough, so it's difficult to get dry skimmate. Usually wet skimmate is possible. Takes about 2 to 3 days to start skimming.

picoskim1b.jpg

• SRC Member

This is how the Aspirating Pico Skimmer like. Too much micro bubbles flowing out from the skimmer at the bottom right. Also the bubbles in the skimmer is not fine enough.

picoskim2.jpg

So decided to change to Air Stone method. The bubbles are much more finer and there isn't any micro bubbles flowing back to the tank. Also the wattage of the air pump is onli 3W compared to the Ehiem Compact 300 5W. There is no heating up of water as the air pump is external.

picoskim3.jpg

• SRC Member

Here is the Pico Skimmer body. Ignore the air tube which is meant for the aspirating method. Sorri about the poor photo and workmanship as it's done from my recycled previous diy skimmer - used acrylic.

picoskim4.jpg

The Collection Cup;

picoskim5.jpg

• SRC Member

OK, I'm putting the skimmer into the 1st Chamber but must ensure that the surface skimmer is attached to the overflow as it will maintain a constant water level in the chamber.

Made some simple joints so that it can hook on the chamber.

picoskim6.jpg

Now with the collection cover on the collection cup to prevent salt spray.

picoskim7.jpg

Now wait and see the skimmate... ;)

• SRC Member

I bought this mesh for the filter media. I cut it to size using scissors to suit the 3rd chamber.

jbj-mod-22.jpg

Here I put some PurePhos from Aquaz in stocking and placed it on the mesh in the 3rd Chamber. Of course, it's best to put such media in a FR, but the standard FR is too big for this Nano Cube. Probably I will DIY one to suit in this chamber when I got the time in future.

jbj-mod-23.jpg

• SRC Member
Wow....nice DIY. Hows the skimmer? Is it efficient? :)

Thanks. ;)

Of course can't be compared to the one using aspirating method. But due to the shorter height, I'm getting wet skimmate. Anyway, my bioload is very low now as I'm waiting for the water condition to stable first.

One thing I noticed is that either one of these 3 things missing, I'll start to get red slime algae;

- Skimmer

- Shift of light spectrum

- No phosphate remover media

and maybe powerhead not strong enough.

;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I was trying very hard to follow but still get lost midway. DIY is not easy if you aren't good with your hands.

If you could do the same explanation for a simple nano tank using off the shelves parts would be very much appreciated. Work on budget where possible.

Thanks

• SRC Member
Hi, I was trying very hard to follow but still get lost midway. DIY is not easy if you aren't good with your hands.

If you could do the same explanation for a simple nano tank using off the shelves parts would be very much appreciated. Work on budget where possible.

Thanks

Hi,

Most of my things are budgeted types hehe. Tell me where you are lost, maybe I can help. ;)

I am looking for budget too. I just took a 1.5 ft nano tank from a bros here. The tank comes with sand - Grade 1 and Argonite Subsrate.

Don't really know what that mean but I took them out to clean the tank and the sand to dry. Notice they have undergravel filter and 2 layers of fine nets.

If you were me, what do you propose to buy or do to have a simple nano tank? Cheap, cheap one hor. If required, can always buy from 'Sell off/Pasar Malam Shop'.

I am sure I am not alone here.

Cheers

• SRC Member
I am looking for budget too. I just took a 1.5 ft nano tank from a bros here. The tank comes with sand - Grade 1 and Argonite Subsrate.

Don't really know what that mean but I took them out to clean the tank and the sand to dry. Notice they have undergravel filter and 2 layers of fine nets.

If you were me, what do you propose to buy or do to have a simple nano tank? Cheap, cheap one hor. If required, can always buy from 'Sell off/Pasar Malam Shop'.

I am sure I am not alone here.

Cheers

You may check up here on the sand;

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...988&hl=argonite

Frankly, no matter how budgeted, it will still burn a hole in yr pocket. So the onli way to save more, is to read more and search for answers from previous posts in this forum.

Besides that, it's also good to see the Members showcase to see and study their setup, regardless of big or nano tanks. Actually the theory behind it is the same. Big or small thank, an efficient skimmer is very important. Lights too and also test kits are things that cannot be saved. Test kits alone may cost more than $100.

Don't juz settle for low priced things becoz they are within budget, check if they can meet the requirment.

You may also read up the Nano forum here;

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/

Yes I do know we need to read, but I am looking for a jump start since we have so many successful bros out here. That is what this site is meant for right?

As did mentioned in other site before, it is important to share successful stories so that people are keen to join and be interested not discouraging words that drive would be members away!

One day, marine tank hobby is as simple as ABC and not the common perception now that it is very difficult and very expensive.

• SRC Member
Yes I do know we need to read, but I am looking for a jump start since we have so many successful bros out here. That is what this site is meant for right?

As did mentioned in other site before, it is important to share successful stories so that people are keen to join and be interested not discouraging words that drive would be members away!

One day, marine tank hobby is as simple as ABC and not the common perception now that it is very difficult and very expensive.

Most reefers here do have hands on experience but not many are good writers. To give a detail ABC guide in setting up is not as easy as it seems especially we don't even known what plan you have. Fish onli tank, mixed reefs, or whatever. How many equipment you need is also depending on what you have experience as you move on. A detailed guide can give you a list of things that you may or must have, and after reading it - you may feel off budget too.

Juz read up the posts in this forum, and start doing it. You will never learn without starting. ;)

No matter how, marine hobby is never as easy without trying at all. To be frank, even if it's a nano tank, it's still not a cheap hobby. Not trying to discourage.

Alamak, seems to be going round without much success. :cry2: I have started with another 2 ft tank but I just thought I could have done better if I have known certain things before that. I am now going to start another 1.5 ft tank. This time, I am not going to rush since I have one back home to enjoy.

OK, maybe this can help would be starter? Generally, most would consider fish and live rock only tank. Understand coral is another level up.

Equipment wise please go for basic and if need to, do advise how much water change per week. If no need to change better lah, Don't recommend sump, CO2, etc hor.

If writing is not easy, simply show pictures and tell us where to source that equipment.

Why do all these? People will be encouraged to take up this hobby knowing it can work. Give an estimated budget for a simple tank. I know pro are setting up a nano tank of 1ft with skimmer for $200+ Surely we can do it less than that and experience all the fun that come along?

• SRC Member
,Aug 17 2006, 06:37 PM] chrisyew bro where u buy yr 24w pl tubes?

I bought them from Ah Beng shop in Pasir Ris fish farm. In fact, most lfs also have. Juz check whether it's all white (and the K) or blue and white. I don't prefer to get those 6,500K one as it's too yellow.