Adding More LR

• SRC Member

Hi,

I'm planning to add more rocks to fill-up the empty space in my tank.

It's only been running for 1.5 weeks now with a clownfish, yellow-tail wrasse, a coral beauty angel, a bristle worm (hiding somewhere) and two leather sponge (came with the LRs). All are quite ok...fish appetite is quite good... they all eat during feeding time...

Anyway, what are the things that I need to monitor in the next few days if I add the LRs tomorrow (Saturday, 26-May-06)? What are the tell-tale signs of a disaster about to happen? How can I limit my casualty?

Do I need to quarantine my new LRs? I'm not sure which one is better (or least disastrous), buy LR now and cure them in a separate tank and put them later (after how many weeks?), or buy LR now and give it a FW-bath and throw it in... I don't intend to add more LRs after this one...

My 1.5-week old LRs have grown green algae in them already (good or bad? what's this stage?)...

thanks!

zurc

tank specs

Your tank have been running for 1.5 weeks or month? You should'nt add any livestocks if it's 1.5 weeks, there should only be LRs and sand in the tank, let the beneficial bacteria culture 1st then you add LS. Now you see lots of algaes could be due to silicate if you are using tap water for your salt mix. Or it could be detectable amount of NO3, your tank may not be cycled fully yet. :angry:

• SRC Member
Can u do a water paremeter test first and post the figures in here?

I did a water test 2-days ago... ph was probably around 8.4 (based on the color) and NO3 was was probably around 10 (based on the color as well). Specific Gravity was at 1.024 at 28 degrees. I'll test the water again later and post my findings...

I did a water test 2-days ago... ph was probably around 8.4 (based on the color) and NO3 was was probably around 10 (based on the color as well). Specific Gravity was at 1.024 at 28 degrees. I'll test the water again later and post my findings...

Your NO3 is probably NO3 already in the tap water (assuming you use tap water to mix your salt in) and not because your tank is cycled.

You need to wait at least 1 month minimum. Same rule apply even for freshwater tank! Your algae problem is probably because of the accumulation of waste due to an uncycled tank. You should monitor your tank for ammonia and nitrite as well.

Good luck.

• SRC Member

scroll up, he said tank been running 11/2 weeks so u can guess how long the cycle was roughly. Pretty short i'd say .... :blink:

Dear Soul, respectfully, i understand what you trying to mean.

But if you were to read the full sentence, perhaps you missed out the "...BEFORE ADDING LIVESTOCKS?". ;) I want to know when long was the tank water cycled BEFORE fishes/inverts were added.

In addition, from my perspective, I consider tank/water cycling as "cycling" period; only AFTER cycling and the reefer puts in lifestock, then I consider as "running" the tank.

To giving an analogy, if you "run" the car for 1.5 km, then got problem... I'll be asking: How long did you spent "warming up" the engines BEFORE you start to RUN the car? U get the idea where my concern is? ;)

Up till now, zurc still hasn't responded, so I do not want to comment further without knowing more information, or else my comments would be full of "it may be", "it could be", "it probably"...

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member
question : how long did you cycle your tank waters before adding livestocks?

well, i think not quite enough (or close to not at all)...

day 1, started with mixed saltwater (red sea + tap water that went through some chemical filtration that is good enough for human consumption). eheim 2211 is started... air is also pumped in to aerate the water...

day 2, nothing special... cheap air pump busted... backflow...

day 3, added the bacteria solution... aeration of the water continues (until present)...

day 4, added a few LR...

day 5, nothing...

day 6, added 3 LS (clownfish, coral beauty, yellow-tail wrasse),

day 7, added an interal filter (300 l/hr) to help create some current...

day 8, added a few drops of plankton solution for the leather coral (it came with the LR)...

day 9, nothing...

day 10, nothing...

day 11, nothing...

day 12, a few drops of plankton solution again... I added an air-driven, cheap skimmer...

day 13 (present), nothing...

i'm doing a water change today (saturday), I've started aerating the water to shake-up the chloramine (as advised by an owner of a nearby LFS)...

• SRC Member

Your NO3 is probably NO3 already in the tap water (assuming you use tap water to mix your salt in) and not because your tank is cycled.

You need to wait at least 1 month minimum. Same rule apply even for freshwater tank! Your algae problem is probably because of the accumulation of waste due to an uncycled tank. You should monitor your tank for ammonia and nitrite as well.

Good luck.

thanks for the tip, got any recommended test kits? there are so many... i can't decide which one to get... or which one is the most accurate... :)

• SRC Member
You might want to consider adding a little beneficial bacteria, or you may purchase some cured LRs to help to cope with the upcoming NH3 and NO2.

will do... :thanks: