shifting a 4'tank

• SRC Member

Hi to all reefer,

sori for off topi.

Need yours advise how to shift my 4 ft full loaded tank? just about 1 ft to make way for others furniture. this tank with 4 " DSB and 50 kg LR. with iron stand

Pls enlighten me the best solution beside empty the whole tank.

Thanks in advance :thanks::bow:

• SRC Member

if im not mistaken, u shoulnt shift just by trying to push the one feet even with 10 guys, bcos of unequal stresses being put on the glass tank and the cabinet. This will lead to disastrous consequences quickly or later on. U may hav no choice but to lighten as much as u can by removing all or most of the heavy items like LRs, as much water as possible, the sump etc . then the load is very much less on the tank n cabinet when u shift by pushing. An innovative idea though Im not sure, is try putting something smooth on the floor like oil thru the one feet as u push equally on the cabinet thru the one feet. of course after u hav lightened the tank !!

The Universal Law of Cause and Effect a.k.a the Mystic Law manifested in the Universe as Nam-Myoho-Renge-kyo. For World Peace and Human Happiness.

• SRC Member

remove at least half of the way, off the pump and other electrical stuff ofcoz..and remove any "unsteady" rocks then get some guys to move it inches by inches

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

I think this is a good money making opportunity for Tank and Stand/Cabinet makers to come up with Stand/cabinet 'rollers'...

Well, i would suggest shifting the furnitures than to move the tank. Stress level of moving furnitures: 0%, moving tank: 100%.

• SRC Member

i read somewhere that you should not have more than 10% of water inside the tank when you shift, esp a tank of your size, maybe just the water alone is about 300-400 kg, not counting other things, so i think it would be better to remove the water esp when you shift..

• SRC Member

the other time when i shifted my tank by 6 inches, i emptied out 3/4 of the water in my 3x1.5x2 tank, and half the water out of my sump, before i could use bull strength to shift it. and its not easy. almost died.

so if you really wanna do the shifting, i recommend you to remove till 10% of the water, half the LR, and water from your sump.

this way you will not structurally weaken any part of the tank or the stand, aand its much easier to. take it as a chance for you to do a major rescape...

• SRC Member

Hi,

Thanks to all brillant advised. :thanks:

If after removed 90% water and LR, the 4"dsb which easily weight some 100kg, can it still caused any distortion of the tank during shifting?

btw my tank is sitted on iron stand without any canbinet.

May be is time for me to convert to BB tank if i need to clear all sand out of it liao :blink:

need comments again! :peace:

• SRC Member

its not advisable to move the tank without the sand...

the LR will topple easier without the sand to hold back the slight movements

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.