White Eel

:erm: Dear all,

Need help on identifing this particular eel it's like 30cm pure white with black dots and a white continous line on the tip of its dosal fin...NEed to know what species it is. ASAP.

N :cry2:

Need to know what it eats?? Can any one help please?

But does anyone have any clue of this species?? Need to read up on the species.

Usually doesn't get things which are unusually or i usually try to get some information before i put anything in my tank but the reason why i bought this Eel was to save him from this livestock supplier near my place..

This guy sells freshwater fish like arawana's and those riddiculous look chichlids and freshwater rays. but recently after that Finding Nemo craze he has been having Saltwater fishes such as comman clowns and a few damsels, even has a whole tank of puffers but yesterday when i just coincedential when down to his tank saw that he had a few Seahorses. and a few of them seem very dead. And this poor fellow was found floating in a tuberware. i just couldn't leave him just like that...i just immediately bought him home. i know i can't save those Seahorses even if i could bring them home i would be able to sustain them in my unrefrigrated tank i only have a 2 ft tank at the moment and the level of expertise to keep seahorses are very high. These people are just buying these beautiful creatures for the sake they could sell it but it seems very much unlikely they could survive.

Anyways, wondering if there is any license restricitions that a LS supplier needs to have before any selling of saltwater fish?

i don't really think snowflake eels are pure white... i have one myself.

anyway, eels prefer live food, such as feeder fish/shrimp, though they can usually be weaned onto dead food like pieces of fish and prawn. mine even takes mysis.

thanks for the advice...

usually i know what i'm gonna put in my tank but yesterday went down to the LFS shop near my place, he usually has Freshwater fishes...i kinda like admiring the freshwater Skates/Rays he has kinda cool how they swim about.

Just about to go home noticed 2 tanks filled with Seahorses/Clowns and Puffers, the seahorses seem soo weak they looked like they would die any time soon and then i noticed this tuberware swiming in the tank and they had this EEL in it. i know i can't save the Seahorses cos they need expert care more than what i can give. so i decided i'd acquire the EEL . :angel:

it seems these guys have very little knowledge 0f the LF stocks they have cos when i asked them what speices this EEL was he wasn't too sure. the stocks seem so down.

i kinda brought it back hoping to help it but now i need some help :cry:

Hi Cryptic,

I know nuts about eels but I thought I will jump in anyway.

Your intention - saving the eel - is good. No doubt about it. However, how many of these poor things will you be able to save? My opinion is don't buy sick/dying LS from LFS to save them. Most are beyond help and you are only helping the LFS to make money out of LS they could not or should not be selling. When their losses start mounting and hobbyists start to be more discerning about what they should put in their tanks, perhaps they will be more prudent about what they should be selling.

An analogy - giving a beggar money isn't always helping them. There are other ways.

FF

But does anyone have any clue of this species?? Need to read up on the species.

Usually doesn't get things which are unusually or i usually try to get some information before i put anything in my tank but the reason why i bought this Eel was to save him from this livestock supplier near my place..

This guy sells freshwater fish like arawana's and those riddiculous look chichlids and freshwater rays. but recently after that Finding Nemo craze he has been having Saltwater fishes such as comman clowns and a few damsels, even has a whole tank of puffers but yesterday when i just coincedential when down to his tank saw that he had a few Seahorses. and a few of them seem very dead. And this poor fellow was found floating in a tuberware. i just couldn't leave him just like that...i just immediately bought him home. i know i can't save those Seahorses even if i could bring them home i would be able to sustain them in my unrefrigrated tank i only have a 2 ft tank at the moment and the level of expertise to keep seahorses are very high. These people are just buying these beautiful creatures for the sake they could sell it but it seems very much unlikely they could survive.

Anyways, wondering if there is any license restricitions that a LS supplier needs to have before any selling of saltwater fish?

I admire your character and all. but come to think of it, how many can we save. =\ people mostly are in this for profit more often than not, hence the conversion from freshwater to saltwater. then again I may be wrong so I apologise if I did ruffle some feathers with that above comment.

I think if we rallied enough supporters for the cause, we surely can make the AVA think regarding licensing. then again this is Singapore. a bit hard to do that. =x

but hey if they could do it with the school of Taxi driving, why not for the school of saltwater fish keeping! hehz.

:huh: Would take that note of concern with me...

Well i guess i just reacted with emotions rather then using my mind.

The issue rite now he (The EEL) seems very very quiet i kinda rearranged the LF to give him some room to move and hide. He is pretty long but he is really small. He seems to have rejected the prawn and fish that i fed him his mouth is too small to eat anything actually even as big as a LONKANG FISH...

REally in dispair man...can't watch him starve himself...is he a plankton feeder or something...

would try to get a Photograph of him by tomorrow. I was wishing and praying he wouldn't be a wolf EEL cos his characteristics seem very similar, black dots and white body... :thanks:

Thanks again for the advice and notes would stricly adhere to them. :peace:

Okie guys after a long and long evening trying to verify which species he belongs to found him on this referrence Website. :idea:

http://www.fishbase.org

Actually found another forum which led me to this anyways in that forum the fellow whom bought the same eel couldn't disingish it's difference between a Ghost Eel or a White Ribbon Eel.

Well finally we found the culprit.

My New Pet Eel is called a Pseudechidna brummeri or commanly known as a White Ribbon Eel

This guy gets about 103cm and should have a sand substrate as it hides in the sand in its natural enviroment. It does tend to be reclusive and live foods may be necessary for feeding as reports are it is too intimidated by feeding sticks. It is not the easiest eel to keep and is good with tank mates if it can't eat them. It eats small crustaceans and fish. :rolleyes:

I think i need to hide my Sea urchin fast before the inevitable. :ph34r:

hi keep your eel seperated from the rest. . give him a pvc pipe to hide him. and u MUST feed him live fish e.g fresh water feeder fish.

feed him 1 fish at a time. no more than 3 per week

rgards

:o what will happen if fed more than 3 per week?

I fed my snow flake 3 pcs of market prawn PER DAY :(