FOWLR vs REEF

• SRC Member

In my humble view as I am not any senior, I have about 1.5 years of experience, having started and maintained at least 4 salt water tanks.

The easiest and lowest cost with the lowest amount of equipment is Fish with Live Rock (FOWLR) and also many public tanks (refer to my thread - public tank in Hougang Mall) you will observe that they are normally always FOWLR. Very rather you see reef tank except those in the Science Centre and Underwater World where they can afford the higher maintenance cost that goes with these more beautiful reef tank.

For my self, my LPS tank has now slowly become a FOWLR except the hardy few mushrooms that still can endure the conditions that is in my tank. Due to work comittment, lack of constant care and maintenance and lower cost, these mushrooms and fish can survive for about a year now.

So in my view, FOWLR is the simplest and easiest to start and maintain without the high cost, efforts that a reef tank requires.

compare the advantages and dis-advantages of FOWLR (Fish-Only With Live Rock) System to a Reef Tank System. can all the seniors share ya views together?

Advantage of a FOWLR:

can keep all link of beautiful angel without the fear of it nipping ur coral

less maintainence ie, nitrate can be at a higher tolerable level.

Disadvantage:

Can be a bit dull and boring if the selection of fish is not properly done

Advantage of a coral reef:

IMO, more natural and it reap more rewards in term of satisfaction

Disadvantage:

more cost and time involved.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

In my humble opinion :

1) FOWLR

advantage: can keep any fishes, easier to maintain, rescape, equipments can be simple.

2) Reef tank

advantage: nicer looking, more natural look.

disadvantage: higher maintenance, more $$$ spent on equipment.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

Its simple bro...

Jzt ask urself 2 simple qn..

-If u willing to spend alot $$$$ n got alot of time= reef setup

-If u not willing to spend alot of $$$ n have alot of other commitment to attend to= FOWLR setup

hope tis helps.....

Most impt is ur co must support n undstd wat tis hobby req or else she will nag at u nonstop for aways go LS shopping instead of window shopping w her..kekeke..N at hm aways look at ur tank c got prob anot n thinking of improvemt on e tank instead of looking at her...kekekkeeke :D

• SRC Member

Having a fowlr tank can be very challenging although the maintainance is not as detailed as keeping a reef tank. Just imagine u can have all sorts of different colourful angels & tangs swimming around & a school of lively chromis darting in & out of your rockworks :rolleyes:

U certainly need a good skimmer imo to run a successful fowlr & if u want good coralline algae,u have to keep ca,mg & kh in check...

lastly,one of the most important equipment I feel is O3/UV to prevent ich outbreak.(a major setback & 99% expected if u keep powder series tangs :( )

Happy fowlring :)

Here's my take on the topic:

1) If you are to go FOWLR setup, go for some beautiful angels that a Reef Tank can't accommodate. For example the beautiful Emperor Angel... what a fine specimen but notorious with corals. So if you are into beautiful large fishes with extremely beautiful colours/patterns... go for FOWLR. One disadvantage of having a Reef Tank is to not be able to keep beautiful Angels properly... I know of a Senior literally letting his Blue Face Angel feasting/nipping on his probably $200 Prata!?!

2) Reef Tank is extremely beautiful but it can get very very complex. Not just time and money, the additives alone can kill. Target feeding and specific feeding can also get very boring... more like a chore really. As mentioned by a bro, the equipments needed for a Reef Tank can go on and on as reefers are often challenged to keep fishes and corals together in a enclosed environment. Chiller, Calcium Reactor, RO/DI water unit, overpowered lighting units, wavemakers are just a few that probably a FOWLR setup can avoid. The above list of equipments can cost $2000 to $4000

3) However, for a successful FOWLR setup, due to the naturally higher bio-load/wastes (larger fishes with ever larger appetite)... you will really need to invest in the following:

a. A very efficient protein skimmer (a good guide is go with the best you can afford)

b. A good denitrator (to remove NO3 so that you can avoid changing water every week)

c. A good filtration system (even the old fashion trickling system can be quite useful in nutrient export - best work in conjunction with a denitrator).

Have fun! :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Damsels will loose it bright colourations when it start to grow to adult hood. But is the easiest marine fish to keep and also the hardiest. But beware once you intro new specimens of damsel, the old bird wil whack the new ones silly and even to its death.

• SRC Member
compare the advantages and dis-advantages of FOWLR (Fish-Only With Live Rock) System to a Reef Tank System. can all the seniors share ya views together?

Bro, see the difference between a fowlr and a reef tank.

Reef 4 x 2 x 2.5 still affordable to maintain

fish only 7 x 3 x 2.5( i will keep reef tank if sponser by PUB, Tropic marine and Seachem)

post-8-1152596685.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

• SRC Member

FOWLR( not live rock)

post-8-1152596754.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....