Jacobus' Glass Box

jacobus

Oh dear... evil cleaner shrimp :o

Any pix to show your latest rock scaping?

As for my office tank... delivery this Friday evening. Will take it slow but must decom Percula 90 by 20th September, coz I am going Sydney for more than a week :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

wow ... holiday ? water's quite cloudy now... dunno if anything can be seen ..

Visit my sis :) Sorta family reunion :heh: I need to seriously plan the transition process already... not gonna be easy as I am reusing some of the existing equipments... so gotto coordinate properly <_<

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

During the rockscaping, did u try to elevate the rock or try have as little contact as possible between the rock and SB? That's smthing I miss out during my setup and hving as little contact or elevated rock will ensure that the detrius won't be trap easily which will result in the increase in your NO3 or PO4.

That's wht I learn from sm of the senior reefers!!! ;)

• SRC Member

hmmm din do tt leh.... i shoved the base rocks into the sand for stability too ... haha ..

should i rescape again then ? i would like to finalise scaping before i relese my blue tang (tiny one) in ... dun flame me hor .. haha .. its gonna be my showpiece... the rest of my fishes will be nano fishes ...

• SRC Member
hmmm din do tt leh.... i shoved the base rocks into the sand for stability too ... haha ..

should i rescape again then ? i would like to finalise scaping before i relese my blue tang (tiny one) in ... dun flame me hor .. haha .. its gonna be my showpiece... the rest of my fishes will be nano fishes ...

I think it's up to individual! Hving a good rock scape will help to minimize potential detrius built up and enhance the circulation/ flow within the tank! ;)

i would like to finalise scaping before i relese my blue tang (tiny one) in ... dun flame me hor .. haha .. its gonna be my showpiece... the rest of my fishes will be nano fishes ...

Flame you for what? BT being a monster only suitable for large tanks?!? Hahaha... well you can limit the amount of food lor... don't allow it to grow too fast... mine's a real monster, from 1.5" to 3" within 6 months... the front profile is so scary... totally obese :unsure:

Bro, if you are gonna rescape... I have the following suggestion:

1) Choose the largest pieces for the base

2) Don't just lay the LR flat on the sand bed, play with it, rotate it around... you can also use 2 to 3 pieces to form a steady base (not necessarily stacking one on top of each other).

3) I would strongly suggest you use Epoxy to hold them together. Even apply a bit at the base (glass) to avoid the LR from sliding. If you have not put in the sand, I would suggest you add a piece of egg crate.

4) Create as much cave as possible. Caves must be hollow through the back (meaning not just a dead space to trap detritus). The hollow caves must allow water to flow from the front, go out from the back or vice-versa. Remember, any dead space is DEAD SPACE :o

5) Be patient, don't rush. It's not easy to achieve a good balance in scaping... but it is a very crucial step as too many of us (including my Percula 90) will end up unhappy with our scaping (due to lack of planning and knowledge) and there's nothing we can do... that's why the constant upgrading (one of the main reasons).

Have fun bro... it's not gonna be hard for your tank size... just gotto be patient :)

Not too bad lah... just that you have too many small pieces... and the way your LR leans on the glass worries me :erm:

haha. . i come scape for you la. . only 2 min away.

confirm ur gf will like. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

haha .. thanks for the offer .. but i quite like my new scaping ... wont listen to my GF if she says it sucks ... unless like everyone tells me it sucks .. haha ..

btw AJ ... is ur trigger bothering any of the corals in ur tank ?

im really keen on getting one .. plus i dun have shrimps in my tank ..

haha .. thanks for the offer .. but i quite like my new scaping ... wont listen to my GF if she says it sucks ... unless like everyone tells me it sucks .. haha ..

btw AJ ... is ur trigger bothering any of the corals in ur tank ?

im really keen on getting one .. plus i dun have shrimps in my tank ..

The black line trigger is about 4 inch and already tamed. Wun even attack my cleaner and fire shrimps.

u want get small size triggers quite ok.. those 1.5 inch type.. the bigger they are, the more aggressive.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

so the main thing that isnt "reef safe " for triggers is their taste for inverts ?

their fine with corals ?

both actually. triggers are known to attack inverts. i witness a trigger tearing the lps into two with a single bite. that's how sharp their teeth are.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

The black line trigger is quite okay for a reef safe... Ignored my corals when i was having... Tried chasing my cleaners but gave up in the end cos the cleaner always hide in between rock... Feeding it well will reduce it from attacking your shrimp...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

haha ... night consider one .. dropping by farmway later ... to buy garlic gaurd and some phyto... i really hope i wont get tempted into buying one ... what about the clown trigger or picasso ? i love those ....

haha ... night consider one .. dropping by farmway later ... to buy garlic gaurd and some phyto... i really hope i wont get tempted into buying one ... what about the clown trigger or picasso ? i love those ....

I know... 1.5" Clown/Picasso are so damn cute :lol::lol::lol: But they do grow fast :o