Coral ID

• SRC Member

Woa~! Thats fast thanx Xjapan, but what i gathered from the net, galaxy looks like this leh... so is mine a mutilated one?? Its tentacles are so short and can see its base~! Have I been conned by the lfs again? told me it was soooo beautiful and unharmed~!!!! :angry:

post-7-1038683256.jpg

• SRC Member

Looks like it is from the genus Goniopora (pronounced goh-nee-oh-poh-ah). Common trade name: Flowerpot coral or ball coral.

Identification: 24 tentacle tip (I didn't actually count, but the pic looks like there are 24 tents.) If 12 tentacles, then it should be alveopora (daisy coral) with very similar needs for TLC.

Captive care: Long history of failing in aquariums. Goniopora frequently do well for up to a year or slightly more before declining. Recent research suggests that almost half the food taken by Gonio in the wild is phytoplankton, the rest being very small zooplankton (micro/bacteria plankton, even the rotifers cultured by AT and myself are too big). Tanks with algae scrubbers have slightly higher rate of success, possibly with the higher microfauna associated with such systems. Medium current, medium light, brighter morphs tend to be collected from shallower depths. Feeding has not been commonly observed in aquariums, suggesting that these corals may use absorption methods.

This purchase is an excellent example of an over-enthusiatic hobbyist buying something that he/she will probably never be able to take care of. Next time research the item first before buying it. Impulse buying is never good for coral reefs.

EL

• SRC Member

That is definitely a Galaxea spp. commonly called Durian coral. You can tell by the raised corallites and the space between individual corallites covered with coenosarc. Goniopora will have fused corallites. The difference in the pictures are that of a coral with and without extention of polyps.

Quite hardy LPS with potent and long stinger tentacles. Beware! Avoid area of high flow as it will increase the developement of stingers. Requirements quite similar to Euphyllia spp.

Gentle reminder,

Reefers are advised to find out more about requirements of the animals before purchase.

And, no, advise from any LFS does not count.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Woa~! Thats fast thanx Xjapan, but what i gathered from the net, galaxy looks like this leh... so is mine a mutilated one?? Its tentacles are so short and can see its base~! Have I been conned by the lfs again? told me it was soooo beautiful and unharmed~!!!! :angry:

I think it just hasn't had time to get used to its new home yet. But it really is a very good idea to research it properly bf. buying next time. Good luck with it!

Yup... that is definitely not a goniopora.... PB.. ;)

The Galaxea coral is a much much meaner coral... I have one in my tank and I keep it very isolated as the stinging tentacles can go very long.

Perhaps one of you might want it? :D

• SRC Member

newdamsel,

the new pic which you posted is when the Galaxea has opened up fully.

And AT is right.

It STINGS other corals which causes them to shrink up INSTANTLY if put too close to one another.

But apart from all this.....I personally think that it looks quite nice. :lol:

• SRC Member

Oh ok thanx guys~! Ya kinda guilty of not researching before buying, anyway it was more like a "pushed" sales...

pacbetta.. its alright~! ;) I din feel its harsh heh heh... no worries~! :lol::lol::lol:

Yupz research is needed, but the corals in lfs look so different from those found online, for eg this one... but point taken.. will try my very best :D:D

Yup...I think ya msg was way okie...PacBetta :)

Its a durian coral...am a little slow here :P Yours is a metallic version...I got rid of mine...cun stand it man...its stingy tentacles r super dopper LOooooooong!!!

Very beautiful but....too fierce liao..

High/med light - high/med flow. :)

ND...next time can ask LFS wat coral u buying...will help u better wif ya research.....no worries...live & let live :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now