wad exactly are zooanthids?

ah^siao

• SRC Member
If Ming is Prof. Shrooms and Onghm, the Photos Guru then may we crown Reel-life as Prof. Zoos??? :P

Yo sis,

i think u did not surf the photography section in RC.

TS is one of the gurus there.

His pics are all of very high quality and inspiring.

So he is both Prof Zoo and Photo Guru :yeah:

Me,...cannot make it lah... :P

But thanks for your encouragement.

reef-life

Your pics are awesome.......colours :yeah:

With pics like these...it will surely make the guys here want to go into keeping zoanthus. :lol:

Sad to say brillant coloured specimens are very difficuilt to come by and not too often seen.

:lol: then maybe can ask some zoos expert to frag some and give it to you... I remember ming giving a small frag to shiraz and he grew a small colony from there...(hope I didnt hear wrongly) ;)

Afterall, if we are serious abt sharing , why not even exchange frags with each other :lol: better than selling :lol:

Good to see you are back Travis..

I tik I got one of the EPIZOANTHUS..

Is tis the one..? It becomes almost botak (bare)

when it was dropped from its location.. din notice

till a few days later.. :(

Yr pic as awesome.. as ever..!

post-7-1068215541.jpg

Last I heard, yellow polyps were being called parazoanthus gracilis. I remember that name being under some argument in the scientific community, but then again when isn't a scientific name? :)

Epizoanthus are commonly called stick polyps, or baja reds.

Thanks for the kudos on the photos and the zos. I put a lot of work into both.

As far as the "proper" way to propagate zoanthids, I am firmly of the opinion that the proper way to do it is to let them spread on their own.

There are lots of techniques for doing this. A famous zoanthid farmer by the name of Bryan Kile (www.thelogicalreef.com), and also a good friend, suggests pinching a piece of rubble into the colony. The zos are tough and grow around it, and he tells me this pinching activates a reproductive response from the zos. I've had some success with this but it's still early.

My favorite method is to take a small zoanthid colony (on a rock) and glue that rock to a larger one, preferably a flat piece of rock. The zos colonize out in all directions and the rock is covered pretty quickly.

As far as cutting zos, well, it just hurts me to do it. Maybe my prop tank would be more profitable if I did it, but it pains me to kill so many zos in the process. I've never had good luck with cutting or tearing.

Shipping to singapore? I'm still trying to release my zos in the US! Sorry. :(

Travis

• SRC Member

"My favorite method is to take a small zoanthid colony (on a rock) and glue that rock to a larger one, preferably a flat piece of rock. The zos colonize out in all directions and the rock is covered pretty quickly."

when u take....u tear them out of the LR?.... pls advise

and what r the ideal water parameter?

thanks

Sorry for the delay in getting back here scooter blenny.

The method assumes you started with a zo frag, 10-50 polyps on a small piece of rock. If you need to frag a larger rock, a hammer and chisel or screwdriver work well, as do hedge shears. But with those methods again you're killing zos and presenting an opportunity for fungus or infection to take hold.

Ideal water conditions for zos vary greatly, seemingly by colony. Even in the Zoanthus species, some like high light (blues & pinks), some like lower light, some like high flow, some low. But if you aim to keep things moderate you're headed in the right direction. Many people are claiming faster growth rates with skimmerless tanks. Nothing scientific to back it up, but it does make sense since zo's mostly absorb dissolved nutrients from the water column for food.

BTW, I'm subscribed to this thread but I don't get an email when someone replies?

I'm always available at travis@reef-life.com, but no, I won't ship zos overseas. :)

Travis

good info...Travis :lol:

I was wondering why some zoos,will closed up and shrink over time....doesnt happened a lot, but my zoos that have been placed on the sand bed seems to be more prone to getting this then those on rocks...

any particular consideration to be taken ....? Thanks :D