Building a 30gallon(24'x18'x18')

Jakuson

I have set up a 30G tank with dechlorinated tap water and mixed it with coral life salt. The salinity is at 1.024 and I have a powerhead running in it, and I am not sure how many gph/h it is, but it seems the flow is enough. I would like to buy lightings for this tank, and lakeside aquatics say a 2 feet dymax T5 lights with 12,000K tube and an actinic tube is in the T5 light fixture. I am wondering if it is enough for soft corals or maybe other corals. Will try to take a pic of it and post it soon!

Any help would be appreciated. :lol:

Will it be possible that I buy the dymax T5 fixture and change the tube to other kind that is suitable for soft corals? Thanks in advance for everyoen that is helping me out! Really need lots of help from expert bro...

• SRC Member

HI Bro,

its called a T5 fixture cos its meant for T5 tubes. If you change to tubes other than T5, dun really think it will work cos the ballast is different. High output T5 for 2 ft is uses 24 watts. So check the tubes you are using for the dymax and u can tell if it is HO or NO. Normal output is about 14 watts i think.. cannot remember.

PL light tubes are a those that has a sort of elongated U shape. Not advisable to use for soft corals cos they generate alot of heat and the light spectrum is not that great. Actinic lights is more for visual effect and coraline algae growth which is not really that important if you only have 2 tubes. Get 1 white and 1 blue. Should give you a more balance lighting...

This is all the humble advise I can give for now... Hope it helps. :)

• SRC Member

Bro forget about dymax why don't you buy a retrofit from our sponsor their price have reduce so much now.

If you buy dymax light set you cannot just change the tubes cos they are using NO ballast. Get it right the 1st time and you won't regret it equipment are very important for marine set up. Do a search on lightings and you'll know why :peace:

If not wrong, there are HO fixture for Dymax... Just check if the tube wattage is 24w anot...

Lakeside Aquatic, my favorite hangout place after school... lol... Know them for quite long liao... Since sec sch days... lol....

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

If not wrong, there are HO fixture for Dymax... Just check if the tube wattage is 24w anot...

Lakeside Aquatic, my favorite hangout place after school... lol... Know them for quite long liao... Since sec sch days... lol....

Yeah, my favourite hangout place too since primary school days when I first started out my freshwater tank. It is also their saltwater tank tat is outside last time that make me wanna try out saltwater.

So, will one white and one blue T5 suffice for soft corals in my 30 gallon?? Am on a budget now, so I think I jus go for this dymax HO T5 first... Will change it once I am really into keep other corals like SPS and LPS. Thanks for all the advice, will take post pics for u all to view when I get my live rocks in T5 lights up.

SRC bro's are all so helpful, really happy that so many ppl is helping me out. Reefers rockz!!

• 2 months later...