Clam owner wannabe needs advise

johntanjm

• SRC Member

Hey clam daddys, I'm thinking of keeping a clam and now doing my preliminary research to find out more.

Light seems to be very impt and i'm running a 150W 10K MH. is that enough?

There are many clams, from what i pick up here, there's maxima, ultra, cocrea. confusing. what would be a easy clam to begin with?

Care: what's the feeding like? what to feed? how to feed?

thanks guys!

----------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

• SRC Member

nice... anyway couldn't wait bought a crocea. quite an intersting fella. It opened up fully. now even when my lights are off in the day, it also open up fully so i'm not worried about the health. but then this morning without the lights on, i observed white spots on it. like the white spots we see on fish. is it ok?

• 4 weeks later...
nice... anyway couldn't wait bought a crocea. quite an intersting fella. It opened up fully. now even when my lights are off in the day, it also open up fully so i'm not worried about the health. but then this morning without the lights on, i observed white spots on it. like the white spots we see on fish. is it ok?

Hi there bro,

Just a friendly advise, This fella needs lots of UV light to kill the bad bacteria and try to place them as high as possible ard 3 inches from the water surface cuz they need a clean water and good lighting as from what I know that on top of the running water flow surface is cleaner than the below part and furthermore most fishes seldom swim ard that area. Just my 2 cents. :peace:

sky107line,

The UV/bacteria part is bad/poor information, probably picked up from some LFS who don't understand how UV works. 'Cleaner' water does not exist in the upper part of the water column, in fact probably containing more protein! ;)

Anyway, I think the point you're trying to say is that light is strongest nearer the source and for a clam, very important for their energy source since there is little live plankton in a tank for them to filter feed from.

• SRC Member

sorry for not replying for so long. so the clam had white spots and more white spots, and more white spots. i was so tempted to sell it off as "rare special white spoted clam"

but then keep keep keep, it seems that its getting better.

no UV, and the clam is at the bottom of the tank. its only 1.5feet deep, the 150W MH should do the job.

so i still have no idea where this white spots came from

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
Hi there bro,

Just a friendly advise, This fella needs lots of UV light to kill the bad bacteria and try to place them as high as possible ard 3 inches from the water surface cuz they need a clean water and good lighting as from what I know that on top of the running water flow surface is cleaner than the below part and furthermore most fishes seldom swim ard that area. Just my 2 cents. :peace:

Btw, bro...can they survive w/o chiller at temp of 29-30 degrees during day time? :thanks:

l7304smr.jpg

Btw, bro...can they survive w/o chiller at temp of 29-30 degrees during day time? :thanks:

They can, my tank temp is around 27 to 29 and they fine. In the wild sometime they get trap in tidal pool when the tide is out and temp could really get high in those pool in the hot sun and they will even survive that, thats not to say its recommended :)