Overflow teeth

giantbicycle

• SRC Member

Why spend $20+ for a piece of plastic strip? Anyway the plastic part below the overflow teeth quite thick, about 1-2". So if your overflow is already high, it will push your water level even higher.

So if you wanna raise your water level or dont mind paying for it, get those at AM.

If not just use egg crates. White ones can get at any fish LFS. Black ones Ive seen Aquastar selling.

• SRC Member

delirium, the teeth only looks high .. don't forget that it has to sit somewhere .. by the time the teeth is inserted .. it's the same level as your original overflow height ..

giantbicycle, if you have the slots in your overflow to fit the comb.. then get the AM overflow since it's not really worth DIY (trust me I did it .. still ended up getting the teeth from AM)

and if you decide to silicon the eggcrate.. note you gotta dry up the tank for a while .. and the surface has to be really clean or it'll not stick..

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

gunzo as you can see from the picture of my very dirty overflow, I silicon the whole strip and not individual teeth. No need dry out whole tank. Just clean and wipe dry the top edge of the overflow where the egg crate is to be siliconed.

BTW nice starfish you have as an avatar. Is it still around?

post-9-1165458318.jpg

• SRC Member
gunzo as you can see from the picture of my very dirty overflow, I silicon the whole strip and not individual teeth. No need dry out whole tank. Just clean and wipe dry the top edge of the overflow where the egg crate is to be siliconed.

BTW nice starfish you have as an avatar. Is it still around?

wow interesting .. so you stopped the return pump while fixing this ??

yes ... that's actually my point .. you have to ensure that the glass is totally clean before you attempt to silicon it :)

This is the AM teeth .. as you can see .. it doesn't raise the level any higher .. since the bottom is already sitting inside the slots on the overflow.. eh.. assuming you have them :paiseh:

Yes that starfish is still with me .. won't be nice without !! :lol:

1 hardy little bugger .. I got 1 linkia .. and long time never change rowaphos so PO4 went up 1ppm .. melted .. this guy still scooting around like nothing ..

post-9-1165545274.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

Yup did it when there was still water inside. Stop return pump for 1 day but the pump for circulation was left running together with air stone.

DIY the overflow too as the tank i got was a bare tank.

Glad the starfish is still ard. the colours look so unreal. amazing!

wow interesting .. so you stopped the return pump while fixing this ??

yes ... that's actually my point .. you have to ensure that the glass is totally clean before you attempt to silicon it :)

This is the AM teeth .. as you can see .. it doesn't raise the level any higher .. since the bottom is already sitting inside the slots on the overflow.. eh.. assuming you have them :paiseh:

Yes that starfish is still with me .. won't be nice without !! :lol:

1 hardy little bugger .. I got 1 linkia .. and long time never change rowaphos so PO4 went up 1ppm .. melted .. this guy still scooting around like nothing ..

okie, got it , so how does this work? 2 side clam together by magentic attraction or silicon?

Thanks Guys for the input :peace: