SPS tank without a skimmer

Personally I think it is possible... you will have to rely heavily on natural filtration system and most importantly no fish (or very little fish) in your tank... that's the only way it can be possible without back breaking water change twice a week :cry:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Personally I think it is possible... you will have to rely heavily on natural filtration system and most importantly no fish (or very little fish) in your tank... that's the only way it can be possible without back breaking water change twice a week :cry:

Make this a new project for u, bro Jervis? :lol:

Make this a new project for u, bro Jervis? :lol:

Hehe... I am confident it can be done... just avoid putting any fish into the tank... hence no feeding :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Yes, possible. Have a huge chaeto refugium and have a huge remote DSB. That should do the trick. Minimal fish load will help too along with excellent husbandry. After all this, you may still have excess nutrients, but your sps may still be ok, and they may not colour up nicely. Perhaps stay brown only.

Yes, possible. Have a huge chaeto refugium and have a huge remote DSB. That should do the trick. Minimal fish load will help too along with excellent husbandry. After all this, you may still have excess nutrients, but your sps may still be ok, and they may not colour up nicely. Perhaps stay brown only.

Then it's time to employ FRs, denitrators and what have you... but no skimmer :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

so would it be like 3 ft display tank and 8 ft sump ? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I think ur SPS wont last long. :D

It can be done. I have seen some really nice skimmerless SPS reefs. My reef has been skimmerless for over a month with no harm to the corals but I am waiting on a new skimmer (back-ordered). Here are a few pics of my new reef without a skimmer. As time passes without a skimmer, I experienced more color and steady growth, but not sure if my new 400w MH 14 k Hamilton bulbs had anything to do with it.

Skimmerless SPS pics

Picture004.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Still skimmerless but added new 14k lighting system pics

coralupdatenov06258.jpg

coralupdatenov06227.jpg

coralupdatenov06222.jpg

Again, I will be adding a skimmer soon, but I don't think it is required to be successful with SPS.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing.

I suppose this is the hallmark of reef husbandry skills.

Perhaps more of us should emulate this, and also it goes to show that high-tech equipment shouldn't be the focus of reef keeping.

Are there any SRC members currently trying this method of reefkeeping?

It does present a problem when fishes are kept in the tank.

• SRC Member
but he has a jumbo macroalgae tank though. think i read somewhere bout it as smithsonian style aquarium that rely heavily on macro algae.

yeah, that the Dr Walter Adey philosohpy. Use of macroalgae as a natural form of filtration...

i will be the next to try keeping SPS without a skimmer .

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
i will be the next to try keeping SPS without a skimmer .

Sorry to be a wet blanket Chercm... You seems to have problems keeping sps even with a skimmer.. You think its wise to change your system so soon? How much do you know about marco algae and how they work as natural filtration? Going by your track record, I think you should read it up now, ask more questions and understand more before you start trying and not the other way around.

i plan to sell my skimmer 1st..... and change to something else and in the meantime while waiting , i will try to keep changing water to see....

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

Bro SAPP.. Perhaps such remarks which is directed at a particular person is best left through PM.... Its not constructive to post such remarks in an open forum.... My 2 cents worth.... Moving on.... I believe sps can be kept without skimmer if u are disciplined enough.....

Thanks & Best regards,

Omar

• SRC Member

Sorry about that Bro CopperBand. Just that sometimes it pains me to see reefer chasing after the lastest fabs without having a more solid understanding as to what they are doing. I apologise to the mods if my post were posted in the wrong way but this is my personal experience and I am sure quite a few reefers share my views.