Qwank's 12g nano cube

qwank

• SRC Member

hey everyone. someone on another forum told me about this one and thought i'd share my tank with you guys. its a 12g NC dx and its been set up for 2 months now.

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03243.jpg

DSC03253.jpg

i've got 2 false percs, 1 clown goby, 1 skunk cleaner, 4 astrea snails, 1 turbo snail, 5 nassarius snails, and 6 scralet hermits. also 10 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand. i upgraded the pump to a Maxijet 900 and added the hydor-flo.

i just added the fuge yesterday. second chamber with cheato and a 10w 6500k bulb.

DSC03293.jpg

i hope to upgrade the lights within the next few months and start adding corals shortly after. i'm thinking of fitting a 70w MH in the hood with actinics.

12g Nanocube 70w MH + 36w actinics in the stock hood! 2 years old

24g Nanocube 70w MH + 60w actinics in the stock hood! NEW!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

heres a pic with the moonlights. using a kit i bought at the fish store. i have them installed in the hood pointing at the reflector to avoid the 'projector' look

moonlights

DSC03354.jpg

• SRC Member
nice!

i be following this thread. :rolleyes:

thanks. dosnt look like anyone else is. maybe i dont have enough fish stuffed in there to gauge any interest ;)

can i know how to u control ur temp for ur tank.

actually i am thinking of setting up a NC for my coral just beside my bed .

the lighting the NC provide is enough, but temp i am not too sure .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
can i know how to u control ur temp for ur tank.

actually i am thinking of setting up a NC for my coral just beside my bed .

the lighting the NC provide is enough, but temp i am not too sure .

i'm using a visi-therm stealth heater in the 3rd chamber to heat the water. i have it set at 76*F and with the lights on for 10 hours the temp stays at 78*F. at night with the lights off it drops 1*F. this is in the winter though with ambiant temps of 70*F in the house. not sure what it will be like in the summer.

• SRC Member

as per request i will post some more pics of my fuge light and moon lights

moonlights in hood:

DSC03368.jpg

the fuge is really easy to set up. on the back of the nano cube there is a black vinyl covering. just cut out the vinyl so the midle chamber is exposed. heres a pic with my cheto in it :

DSC03363.jpg

heres some better pics of the light:

DSC03288.jpg

DSC03289.jpg

heres what it looks like from inside:

DSC03366.jpg

the housing is a 1 1/2" electrical box from the hardware store. i mounted a screw in bulb socket in it and a 10w 6500K bulb. the fan is a 60mm computer fan powered by a 12v adapter. i put a reflector behind the bulb to help shine more light.

i'm using a visi-therm stealth heater in the 3rd chamber to heat the water. i have it set at 76*F and with the lights on for 10 hours the temp stays at 78*F. at night with the lights off it drops 1*F. this is in the winter though with ambiant temps of 70*F in the house. not sure what it will be like in the summer.

u stays in the States ?

i was thinking how to cool the temperature of a nanocube since our climate is hot all year round .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

i'd post more photos but theres really nothn else to show. :blink: like i said i'm working on a 70w MH mod. so i'll definatly get some pics of that when its done, probbaly in the next couple of months.

i'd post more photos but theres really nothn else to show. :blink: like i said i'm working on a 70w MH mod. so i'll definatly get some pics of that when its done, probbaly in the next couple of months.

what do u intend to keep for ur NC ?

does the NC come with fan?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

not sure what i want to keep for corals. i have a 240gph pump and will have the 70w MH, i have to find out what is possible with that setup. what do you think i could keep? i will keep at least one sort of coral that the clownfish could host like a frogspawn or a hammer, because i do not believe 12g is enough water and room to keep an annenomie. and i really want a small clam.

the NC has 2 fans in it stock. when i do the MH i will replace the 2 stock fans with 4- 60mm 74cfm fans in the hood and one scroll fan blowing air in from the back across the water surface and out 2 vents in the hood that i will cut in. about 4 people have this setup and it supposedly works very well. i have the fans ordered already and i am working on getting a ballast right now.

not sure what i want to keep for corals. i have a 240gph pump and will have the 70w MH, i have to find out what is possible with that setup. what do you think i could keep? i will keep at least one sort of coral that the clownfish could host like a frogspawn or a hammer, because i do not believe 12g is enough water and room to keep an annenomie. and i really want a small clam.

the NC has 2 fans in it stock. when i do the MH i will replace the 2 stock fans with 4- 60mm 74cfm fans in the hood and one scroll fan blowing air in from the back across the water surface and out 2 vents in the hood that i will cut in. about 4 people have this setup and it supposedly works very well. i have the fans ordered already and i am working on getting a ballast right now.

maybe ricordae florida/yuma ?

i believe with 70W MH , a maxima is possible, not too sure about croceas as they are more light demanding.

those cultured LPS like hammer with a base are normally small in size. generally more attractive in term of colour too .great for ur clownfishes to host :) .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

maybe ricordae florida/yuma ?

i believe with 70W MH , a maxima is possible, not too sure about croceas as they are more light demanding.

those cultured LPS like hammer with a base are normally small in size. generally more attractive in term of colour too .great for ur clownfishes to host :) .

thanks for the advice hammy. :)

UPDATE: my clown goby died today :cry2: he got stuck inside the surface skimmer. when i found him he was stil alive. had a hard time swimming for a few minutes. then my shrimp got to him and started to eat him. i tried to save him but couldnt because he went under a rock in the back. the nass snails finished him up. poor goby he was my favorite fish. i have no plans to rplace him. i will just keep the clown pair solo for now.

R.I.P Tweety: :cry2:

DSC03239.jpg

• SRC Member
nice setup... mod ideas from nano-reef forum?

too bad it's a 12G. you can squeeze in a nice protein skimmer in a 24G :evil:

yeah thats where i got my ideas. theres a protien skimmer for the 12g cube now too. check it out:

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=357

• SRC Member

Great :yeah: ...have u tried out the protein skimmer? any reviews or comments on it?

I have not bought a skimmer yet but i heard they work great.

update on my tank:

I have and ich outbreak! my clowns had white spots on them. must have been because i had an ammonia spike when the goby died. i brought my water to a fish store to have them test it with their kits. i found out my salinity was 1.030 acording to thier refractometer. my hydrometer was reading 1.024 from the same sample of water. i believe this also caused the ich. so i'm going to buy a refractometer as soon as i can.

the clowns are acting normal though. i am suplimenting thier food with garlic to boost thier immune system. i hope they make it through the outbreak.

I have not bought a skimmer yet but i heard they work great.

update on my tank:

I have and ich outbreak! my clowns had white spots on them. must have been because i had an ammonia spike when the goby died. i brought my water to a fish store to have them test it with their kits. i found out my salinity was 1.030 acording to thier refractometer. my hydrometer was reading 1.024 from the same sample of water. i believe this also caused the ich. so i'm going to buy a refractometer as soon as i can.

the clowns are acting normal though. i am suplimenting thier food with garlic to boost thier immune system. i hope they make it through the outbreak.

normally fishes like clownfishes and mandrain dragonet are very immune to ich.

i found the dipping mysis/brine shrimpss with seachem garlic guard works very well as a first line defence against ich.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

well, one of my clowns died today from the ich. i thought he was doing good all week. he was eating and everything but i guess that dosnet matter. my other clown developed more ich spots today also so it dosnt look god for him either.

• SRC Member

my second clown died this morning.

all my fish are dead.