Tank + Stand question

Hi

Got this 2.5ft tank (76 * 45.5 * 45.5 cm) and the wrought-iron stand.

Total est. weight of the tank + sand + lr + fish + water would be 200kg.

Would like to know if I need to put a piece of plywood + styrofoam to support the tank OR can I just put styrofoam below the tank?

And does anyone know where can I find such plywood and how thick it should be? And also for styrofoam, what shd be the thickness?

Searched those DIY stores (Homefix, Selfix) for the plywood but with no success.

Thx.

post-6-1177368956.jpg

• SRC Member

How thick is the tank wall, esp the bottom piece if possible? U might want to use a 5 to 10mm thick foam or if u juz want to ease ur fears, u can also put a plywood under the foam, a 4 to 6mm thick should do.

For plywood, try those carpeter workshops, chances r higher. There's a few in the industrial area behind SAFRA Tampines or at Depot road, where CMPB is. Price of juz a plywood should be about $30 to $50 with laminated top and side. Should be cheaper if without laminate.

• SRC Member

place a styrofoam below the tank is best... ;)

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

You don't have to put a ply wood. A styrofoam is the best to place under the tank. Not to worry about the weight, if the styrofoam is placed in between the stand and the tank, the weight will be supported by the stand evenly.

• SRC Member

but what if the foam is a thin one, will it help to have a plywood under? Why I suggested this is bcuz I also did that for my new tank (in process). Felt that the foam might not be thick enough for the weight absorption, so placed a plywood underneath. I'm using the off-the-rack wrought iron stand too, which was told that some of this stands are hollow inside. So I thought the centre support bar might not be strong enough esp if it's a marine tank with rocks, sand and for the size used by UWS @ 2.5ft, I'm sure the weight is heavy.

Juz my two-cents :-)

But if we apply some physics on this stand, I think the centre weight of the tank would not be on the centre bar, rather it will be on the 4 side bars towards the 4 legs since all the 5 bars are on the same level. But my physics is poor, it's just guessing. Maybe you could get a ply wood like what bro Nitro suggest (if you can get one) to place it at the bottom, then styrofoam, then lastly your tank on top. But make sure the ply wood is straight with no arc, and make sure the whole piece of plywood is of same thicknes. :lol:

Put up the stand + tank already. Got the wood from a timber shop (Chip Lee) in Eunos industrial park. See pix.

But now running out of sand...got to buy a pack 2morrow either at AM (Katong) or Pasir Ris. Most likely will spend Labour Day to top up with NSW and followed by tank cycling.

BTW, where we can buy black oyama tape? Searched Homefix also don't hv.

post-6-1177692262.png

• SRC Member

Hey can see that u placed two pieces of plywood under the foam. why don't u juz put 1 piece and the other on the bottom rack so at least u can put things like filter or others at the bottom?

Ur tank too big for the stand isit? Instead of pushing the tank forward, cuzing it to jut out at the front, why not push it back so at least it jutting out at the back?

Juz my 2-cents

• SRC Member

Hey can see that u placed two pieces of plywood under the foam. why don't u juz put 1 piece and the other on the bottom rack so at least u can put things like filter or others at the bottom?

Ur tank too big for the stand isit? Instead of pushing the tank forward, cuzing it to jut out at the front, why not push it back so at least it jutting out at the back?

Juz my 2-cents

Yeah the tank is slightly jutting out...stand was given by friend but its only 15in.

My tank width is 18 in. So in order to balance it, i allow 3 cm jutting out front & back.

As for the below rack, I also got the wood already.

Better be safe to hv 2 pieces of wood than having the tank collapse.

Got bad xperience b4 whereby my glass table cracks into 2 pieces after one day of topping with NSW + LR.

Luckily the tank can be salvaged for another attempt into this hobby.

• SRC Member

no wonder u asked if it needed to have plywood under cuz of bed experience. Ya better be safe than sorry hor. However do take note that for marine set up with sand and big rocks, the thickness of the bottom glass panel do matters cuz it can crack if under too much pressure, esp with water added.

• SRC Member

i suppose u know that the wrought iron stand will rust overtime....it is quite dangerous..

may i know the thickness of the tank?.. :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
Put up the stand + tank already. Got the wood from a timber shop (Chip Lee) in Eunos industrial park. See pix.

But now running out of sand...got to buy a pack 2morrow either at AM (Katong) or Pasir Ris. Most likely will spend Labour Day to top up with NSW and followed by tank cycling.

BTW, where we can buy black oyama tape? Searched Homefix also don't hv.

Black oyama paper can be found at most LFS...

• SRC Member

hahha.. :lol: he already mention that it's 6mm. standard thickness for this kinda glass tank with this width and height.

Btw, just for general knowlegde. For tanks above 1.5' in height, the thickness of the tank must be above 6mm in order to withstand the weight. So basically for 1.5' above tank, thickness will be around 10 or 12mm and the glass used is no longer the normal glass. This is just some of the standard in tank-making. Cheers.

Hey bro, i suggest that you dun put in water and LR first. Go to your nearest hardware store and grab one can of anti-rust primer spray. Spend some time spraying it.

Spray at least three to four layers. Spread one thin layer then wait for it to dry, then you do the other layer. Repeat the same until u are done with four layers.

I did that and my iron stand manage to stand with no fear for four years le. :lol:

Just a tip for u. :D

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

i suppose u know that the wrought iron stand will rust overtime....it is quite dangerous..

When will the iron stand starts to rust? When the time comes, I hope to use this as excuse to upgrade... :evil:

BTW, before fren gave me this iron stand, most LFS DIY only wood cabinet.. and it costs around $400 for it.

Hey bro, i suggest that you dun put in water and LR first. Go to your nearest hardware store and grab one can of anti-rust primer spray. Spend some time spraying it.

I did that and my iron stand manage to stand with no fear for four years le

Thanks for advice... but then must wait for another 4 yrs before can upgrading... :(

Hey guys, how do u add a person's name & time of post inside the previous QUOTE?

• SRC Member

hahaha....when it rusts, it's really ugly...u dun have to wait till 4 years to upgrade.

:lol:

when it rusts, it will stain the floor and wall de...so i still advice u to spray it first.

IT'S FOR THE SAFETY OF UR FURNITURE AND LS >.<

how fast it rust depends on how much water u expose it to....

putting in LS weekly and water changes and caused it to rust in a few months time..

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• SRC Member

Rx is rite, how fast it rust depends on the salt water exposure but since u already placed the tank on it and put sand, rocks, water etc... the other best way is to always wipe away any salt spray or water when it's wet lor. Extra works but that's the next best thing :P