Aquascaping ur live rock

• SRC Member
Actually, why are these crabs so detestable? :(

firstly, u can't eat them when they are big, secondly, they will prey on your fishes and lastly, disturb the rock structure

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

hey read some cleaning the LR in the net. 5 easy steps.

1] after buying the rock, place them on a newspaper on the floor

2] use a spray [flower spray/saloon spray] and spray the live rock with water to keep it wet

3] use a toothbrush to brush off the die off and decaying matter

4] get rid of all the hitch hikers /bristle worms/crab

5] last of all rinse your live rock througly and put em in ur tank.

ORDed

back to studies and reefing again..

• SRC Member

damn the crabs got twice as large from the time i got em

not so cute already..

is there a trap i can diy to catch it?

the silly crab stays at the bottom of the rock structure ( taking it out would mean that i would have the spend the next few nights making the same structure again)

• SRC Member

For me, the crabs in my tank are rather non elusive... though they seldom appear... but once you see them, get a pincer and slowly imerse your hand.. usu they stay motionless at the same spot hoping that you din see it ... but then slowly, slowly THEN when you are within striking distance~! POW.. see orange stuffs float in ya water~!!!

I tried taking the rock out of water.. but once they crawl back into their tiny winy hole... you will then wish you have a needle that can curve itself to the shape of the hole... heh heh

• SRC Member

what i do is i use those pointed chopsticks and impale them and leave the remains for my clean up crew, the fishes.. hahaha

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Crab Trap

Can try putting a glass tumbler in your tank with some food at night.. Crabs climb in cannot climb out.. Hope it helps B)

hahaha...I read about it in this forum a few months ago and i tried getting a chicken essence bottle and putting prawn meat in it and place taht near where the crabs usu appear..... but those crab did not bother about the prawn meat in it... every morning i wake up enthusiastically to see my catch.. but the rotting meat disappoints.. haha...

maybe i was not lucky or tactical enuff to hide the bottle?? i dunno... gave up in the end... :):)

• SRC Member

i killed about three crabs yesterday. left maybe 1 or 2 more.

i also found 2 dead smaller different type of crabs, suspect they were killed by those murderous creatures.

i took the LR out and use this scissors to get them out. whats left of them is this pincer in the sand. ha ha.

• SRC Member
I also killed many crabs and not my reef no more craps... only crab claws..........................

I keep a Mantis Shrimp.......... <_<

the claws are the result of your mantis makan-ing the crab.. :P

• 3 weeks later...