• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

Anything that can reduce nitrate interest me. Thinking of redesign my sump as well. Can someone tell me what is the maintanance chores involve in such a refugium system? (whether weekly, monthly or yearly)

Maintenance free, except for pruning of macroalgae, which I do every 2 weeks.

• SRC Member

DSB is suppose to metabolise the nitrates, it does not act as a store.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Here comes the cut glass and the mess I created. After my wife complain, it is now in order. Got to find time putting the glass together. Hopefully I can do it on Sunday as Saturday I've got a Soccer tournament. Hopefully not to tired.

post-7-1042196170.jpg

• SRC Member

After marking each piece of the glass (Base, Front, Rear, left, right). Will need to buy whiteboard marker.

Next step is to clean the glass to remove all the grime and dirt.

post-7-1042197250.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Trying to find the right time to do the cut in on the new refugium and sump. CNY looks good.

I started drilling hole for the refugium to sump transfer.

post-7-1044278181.jpg

• SRC Member

D-a-r-n. The guy who fix my powerhead actually glued the PVC piping all the way to the powerhead. I could either use force to unscrew it. What if it doesn't and it breaks than I'm stuck with it and will not find any replacement PH during CNY. Worse still my tank will not be w/o filter until I get this done.

So I decided to postpone the cut in to a later date and probably buy a new PH (About time to upgrade PH?) Eheim 1262 should be fine to replace the 1060. Also need need to get a piping reducer from 20mm to 16mm so that I can fix a hose to the pump.

• SRC Member

It is 5mm thick and cost ~$3 per square foot. You can get the custom cut glass at any frame/glass shop. I got mine from Changi road in front of the Kassim Mosque. There are a few other glass/frame shop along that stretch. Drilling a hole cost $4 each.

I did ask for the quote from the tank makers but it is too costly. Almost double the cost if I were to DIY myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

As suggested by Phang to have a bypass to the sump. Good idea! Also be able to control how much water to flow through the refugium. Too fast also no good.

post-7-1045439740.jpg

• SRC Member
Yazid,

Notice that its not the typical sand you're using for your DSB, is it that river sand you're using?

Or could it be the lighting?

no lighting yet

• SRC Member
Yazid,

Notice that its not the typical sand you're using for your DSB, is it that river sand you're using?

Or could it be the lighting?

Yes it is river sand... the smallest grain I could fine. This river sand is cleanse with no silicates. Based on Ron Schimek study the smallest grain that you could find the better and no sharp edges. Smallest grain will ease burrowing critters to dig. Based on Garf, mix with different size grain as different organism prefer certain size. I've mix/seed with my main tank sand and some worms (Similar to Garf grunge).

Quote from http://website.lineone.net/~espsrg/dsb_s_&...&_live_rock.htm

"Research has shown, that regardless of the type of media used, be it land or oceanic in origin. "

"The DSB on the other hand utilises a very fine grain size (preferably below 0.2mm but above 0.050mm) to get round these problems. There are various discussions going on as to the ideal grain size, although the main consensus is that a very fine 'silt like'[\B] texture is better for what we, and all those lovely critters are looking for. Some even go as far as a mud like texture (ref the new trend of a material called 'Miracle Mud'). "

Of course Miracle Mud (powdery) too expensive and getting mud from the sea is too risky.

• SRC Member

My wife was laughing when she saw me prone position in front of the refugium tank.

I was amazed to see so many critters that I couldn't ID. Of course the usual copepods and amphipods...

I saw worm in my DSB.... :D

post-7-1046044762.jpg