How to keep chaetos?

i saw at ikea selling a spot light, Bulb using 7W energy saving which is equal to 25 W...

it is 'orange' type of light instead of the white light.....

is the orange light suitable for chaetos? or it needs white light?

sorry...another question...can i place chaetos on my 9 inches DSB?

• SRC Member
i saw at ikea selling a spot light, Bulb using 7W energy saving which is equal to 25 W...

it is 'orange' type of light instead of the white light.....

is the orange light suitable for chaetos? or it needs white light?

no sir...those light from Ikea is either 2700K or 4500K...not suitable..

you can get those energy-saver bulb from philip but please check it is at 6500K lumen (as 11w also have 2700K,4700K and 6500K) they are not the same..

• SRC Member
no sir...those light from Ikea is either 2700K or 4500K...not suitable..

you can get those energy-saver bulb from philip but please check it is at 6500K lumen (as 11w also have 2700K,4700K and 6500K) they are not the same..

those 4500K cannot meh? i always tot can.. :paiseh:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• 2 weeks later...

think if you search the topic, chaeto discussion comes up quite often....anyway, you just need a florescent lighting (change tube to 6500k), keep it on 24hrs /7 days......the chaeto's will grow well. I even grown some in natural sunlight.near window.

vipersig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
btw guys...is it a must to have flow in the refugium?? as my refugium is a different tank from the sump...so do i need to fix a power head?

Sufficient flow is a necessity... if not they will rot after a while :(

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
think if you search the topic, chaeto discussion comes up quite often....anyway, you just need a florescent lighting (change tube to 6500k), keep it on 24hrs /7 days......the chaeto's will grow well. I even grown some in natural sunlight.near window.

Cheato need 24/7 of lighting??????? :unsure::unsure:

DSB in sump refugium is to cultivate crustaceans in a predator-free environment for consumption by your reef inhabitants in the display tank. Also a DSB helps reduce nitrate. But recent postings has talked about long-term usage of DSB causing tanks to crash because of the trapped gas pockets within the sand. Using Aragonite sand also helps increases calcium slightly as the sand dissolves. Correct me if im wrong :whistle

Is it a must to have a DSB for chaeto to grow??

And what's the purpose of this DSB??

The guru of sandbed and plenum have recently wrote about this issue just few months back. Check the below link for more info:

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/InstantO...3_Fall_2007.pdf

DSB in sump refugium is to cultivate crustaceans in a predator-free environment for consumption by your reef inhabitants in the display tank. Also a DSB helps reduce nitrate. But recent postings has talked about long-term usage of DSB causing tanks to crash because of the trapped gas pockets within the sand. Using Aragonite sand also helps increases calcium slightly as the sand dissolves. Correct me if im wrong :whistle

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• 1 month later...