How to increase PH???

Adrianli

• SRC Member

My current 4ft tank PH is 7.4 but my fishes are doing well. My tank is fish-only.

I have poured 5 bottles of baking soda n 2 bottles of PH Up into the tank but PH remains at 7.4. PH pen has been calibrated with PH 7.0 solution. I also double checked with Litmus paper. Both showing PH 7.4

Guys, pls help me increase my PH w/o changing water.

• SRC Member

You try adding reef/marine buffer.Maybe it works.Hmm omg u dump a lot of baking soda.You must be nuts man.Check ur KH.Sure dam f...... high.

girlone.png

You can try to dose Kalkwasser... it will reduce PO4 (at least to the water that comes with it), raise pH and Calcium. However, do practice great caution whenever you dose anything. Just like adding salt to your food... do you dump in everything? Or test first... then add again?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

My tank has been running for a yr plus w/o water change. I add one bottle at a time but PH still no increase, I tot I cant keep adding so come here n sought advise from the bros here.

Attached a pic of the baking soda n PH Up added so far............ :unsure:

post-17-1187436314.jpg

• SRC Member

Omg... Be careful man... pH low is not good for long term but will not kill your fishes suddenly.

A BIG change in pH will wipe out all the living things inside your tank. ;)

Try to change the water parameters slowly. I think it's you never change the water and all the buffering agents used up in your tank. Why don't you try changing 20%~30% of water using a good marine salt? And use Kalkwasser to top up the evaporation water. :)

• SRC Member

my friend, a good way to maintain stable ph is to use a ph buffer like seachem buffer plus to keep it at about ph 8.4, changes in ph are dangerous. What buffer plus does is to maintain a high KH, or alkalinity so that any acidic compounds introduced into the system will be neutralised by the high alkalinity content.

my 2-cents

Cheers :)

a water change is the best solution at hand even though i know it is a PITA

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

I think i got the solution:YOUR TANK IS OVER STOCKED.That's why the buffering capacity no use.Tell me all about your tank and it's inhabitants.

girlone.png

Like Bro Hammy, I suggest you do frequent partial water changes with a quality saltmix.

No point trying to adjust the pH when your trace elements have been depleted due to lack of water changed.

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
I think i got the solution:YOUR TANK IS OVER STOCKED.That's why the buffering capacity no use.Tell me all about your tank and it's inhabitants.

There is only a maroon clown n black garoupa in the 4ft tank. Yes, only 2 fishes.

PH is still 7.4 :unsure:

• SRC Member

Hmm what brand of salt you use???

I will reccommend you to use red sea salt but the KH is 1 dkh lower,coralife,marine environment and SeaChem salt.Those wre good salt brand.

Btw what did you use to test your ph???Liquid reagents???Ph priobe???If you use pH reagents when did you buy it and how long already???And what is the brand too???

girlone.png

• SRC Member
I would like to buy more fishes but afraid that my tank's low PH will kill any new fishes. :(

More advises needed......... :thanks:

I will do few water change before any purchase....

Beware of those non-marine products which will eventually lead to ionic imbalance if dosing without proper knowledge.

PS: Pardon me... I feel that ur action is abit like "penny wise dollar fool"... I believe about $20, u can get corallife salt mix enough for water change.... :peace:

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

I remember somewhere in this forum that someone has carried out an experiment that dose baking soda to raise PH... If I remember correctly, for a fairly small tank, the KH was over 30 just to bring the PH to 8.2. And, shorting after that he report the tank crash.....

Personally, I have also use baking soda before but just to raise the KH a little and not really bring up the PH. There are many components inside natural seawater.... unless you know what you are doing....

• SRC Member

Hi,

My salinity is 1.024, using coral life salt.

Using PH pen and litmus paper to measure the PH.

I am lazy to do water change so used baking soda to raise the PH. My KH test kit finished liao so unable to measure it. I guess the only solution now is to do water change. I was at Pasir Ris farm n wanted to buy 5 medium size blue tangs. To play safe, I measured my tank parameters b4 purchase.

Looking for coral life salt, if anyone got spare pack, can sell to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Guys,

I changed 80% water last Sunday. I have been monitoring the PH and from monday till yesterday, the PH is maintaining at 6.8.

Looks like water change actually decrease the PH instead!!! It dropped from previously 7.4 to 6.8 now.

How to increase the PH now???

My grouper n clown survived the water change n r feeding normally. Bought a new grouper, white body wif three thick black band n yellow tail. It is beautiful. It is also feeding well.

• SRC Member

Glad to hear that.... if I not wrong, ph and kh do not remain constant.... when do u measure the ph? Anyway, u can't go wrong with a good salt mix water change ;)

• SRC Member

light on or off? Anyway, if you are interested in knowing why maybe this article can.....

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

PS: Frankly speaking, I can't really explain well to you... Sometime life is much easy when you do things you r suppose to do.... at least u can't be too far wrong...