assexual on macro algea?

• SRC Member

I would like to know too.

Just yesterday my refugium was nice and clear. Just an hour later I noticed that my refugium was green! like those fresh water pond with green algae! I shut down my refugium cause I did'nt want it to effect my main system.

I then changed water in my refugium and noticed that the micro algae has turned white. It was the fern type that only lost it's color. The rest was ok.

Tonight i'll be turning on the refugium into my system again.

Is this a case of "assexual"?

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

Hi Ian and RedDevils,

What are both your photoperiod like?

Normally, macro goes sexual during lights out or when they start to fight for space. When they go sexual, they release back the nutrients (nitrates, phosphates) it has exported back to the tank in high concentrations.

Regular pruning of the algae will help. 24/7 photoperiod will also help.

Cheers

• SRC Member

Only 8 hrs a day. Thanks! will take your advice. Thank god I caught it in time!

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

Tried 3 types of macroalgae, fern-like type, grape-like type and the seahorse grapping those type.. with 24/7, 36W PL.

Fern-like type and grape-like type become sexual and die easily when light off even for few hours. And do not recover later.

post-6-1068527536.jpg

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member
Tried 3 types of macroalgae, fern-like type, grape-like type and the seahorse grapping those type.. with 24/7, 36W PL.

Fern-like type and grape-like type become sexual and die easily when light off even for few hours. And do not recover later.

hi bro, interested to get the type of macroalgea u posted, the one where the seahorse graping on... i've tried fern and grape but gone assexual in a few days time.... can advise where to get and how much you pay for it?

• SRC Member
can i juz use FL light?

wah on 24/7 very shiong leh and also very hot

Unless your FL is 36W 65kk, which simulate sunlight.

Anyway you won't want it to turn assexual and release the nutrient back to your tank right. 24/7 36W PL will cost you less than $5 electrial bill.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

the other side effects of 24/7 lighting is the unnatural 'lights on' all the time for critters and other creatures.

i've read somewhere it affects their 'activities' and reproduction.

however if it really costs <$5 to maintain 36W 24/7, it's worth it, isn't it to prevent algae going sexual!

• SRC Member

I am using PL 36W 6500K for my refugium and the photo period is around 12 hours. Every week I will have to cut 2 palm full of the macroalgae.

The algae you are seeing now, cannot be obtain from the LFS, it somehow grows from the orginal batch of algae that I gotten from CF. This algae never goes asexual on me....

post-6-1068612903.jpg

• SRC Member

I also feel that 24/7 lighting is the unnatural 'lights on' all the time for critters and other creatures. :huh: So what I do is

-36W 10000K on reverse 12hr photoperiod

-15W actinic FL 7day/24hr photoperiod (to bring out the vivid colours of the invertebrates and somehow this prevent asexual of macro algae)

My 2 ft refugium tank with livestock of: B)

Cleanup crew: Snails, tiny hermit crab urchin and a lot of Pods

Fish: NO fish

Invertebrates: 2 ###### Dancing Shrimps, 2 anemone shrimps Boxing shrimp, tiny lobster, 2 tube anemones, yellow poly, pink tube worm, pom-pom crab and sun coral.

Some reefer in the forum also feel that this type of green algae shown in my tank is not efficient for nutrient export since it only need little nutrient to grow fast. Any comments!

post-6-1068614239.jpg

• SRC Member
I also feel that 24/7 lighting is the unnatural 'lights on' all the time for critters and other creatures. :huh: So what I do is

-36W 10000K on reverse 12hr photoperiod

-15W actinic FL 7day/24hr photoperiod (to bring out the vivid colours of the invertebrates and somehow this prevent asexual of macro algae)

My 2 ft refugium tank with livestock of: B)

Cleanup crew: Snails, tiny hermit crab urchin and a lot of Pods

Fish: NO fish

Invertebrates: 2 ###### Dancing Shrimps, 2 anemone shrimps Boxing shrimp, tiny lobster, 2 tube anemones, yellow poly, pink tube worm, pom-pom crab and sun coral.

Some reefer in the forum also feel that this type of green algae shown in my tank is not efficient for nutrient export since it only need little nutrient to grow fast. Any comments!

bro, your tank look more like a planted tank... :blink::blink::huh::huh::lol: