topping up using ntuc distilled water

chercm

Dear all,

Allow me to ask some questions..... 

Is your area of water that horrible until this is needed?

Have u take out whatever testkits u have and do some measurement to justify for this cumbersome action?

If the water really did not meet ur standard then maybe installing a simple water filter as what reeftask provided in the thread (drsfrostersmith) may be sufficient....

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...topic=62696&hl=

[i touch my heart to say this] If I am drinking water taken from the tap, what make me qualify for this action?

I think u misunderstood the whole thing, buying of RO water may be a constant investment, but it saves us the trouble of using DI/RO unit, one pail of 19 Litres of RO water cost $6, plus delivery, I don't find it any bad points. Although I don't know if the RO water delivered is really RO or not, but I doubt they did cheat in any way. Consuming of water cannot be compared with using water for your tank, as your body won't grow algae, and stuff like silicate, phosphate, nitrate, copper is a lot more harmful to corals compared to your body, you drink water for the sake of drinking due to body requirement, you don't breath from the water. Old pipping tap water may have some copper in it as well. Water purifier is not simple, carbon is not cheap either, and you won't be assure that the water is as pure as RO/DI. If use DI or RO unit, both can be costly investment, and their rasins need to be replaced once exhausted. Although it may be cheaper in terms of long term wise.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I think u misunderstood the whole thing, buying of RO water may be a constant investment, but it saves us the trouble of using DI/RO unit, one pail of 19 Litres of RO water cost $6, plus delivery, I don't find it any bad points. Although I don't know if the RO water delivered is really RO or not, but I doubt they did cheat in any way. Consuming of water cannot be compared with using water for your tank, as your body won't grow algae, and stuff like silicate, phosphate, nitrate, copper is a lot more harmful to corals compared to your body, you drink water for the sake of drinking due to body requirement, you don't breath from the water. Old pipping tap water may have some copper in it as well. Water purifier is not simple, carbon is not cheap either, and you won't be assure that the water is as pure as RO/DI. If use DI or RO unit, both can be costly investment, and their rasins need to be replaced once exhausted. Although it may be cheaper in terms of long term wise.

I did a nitrate test on my tap, register a nil. As for phosphate and silicate, I will think it is almost a nil though I did not test it. The reason is that Singapore has water treatment and maybe we are drinking RO water now.... Anyway, phosphate and silicate are introduced via all the foods that we throw in... having RO water will not help the situation unless one can invent a food without that in.

As for copper, we have been eduacate in many websites that it is harmful... but many times when I picked up additives and read the compounds, there is copper in it even on TM reef pro saltmix have copper as one of the trace elements... Somehow, I reason that low content of copper should be okay...

I am writing this is b'cos when ones is so concerned about it then it may be worth the while to install a RO filter for your whole family first and then the fish :lol:

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

Yup tap water in my area hover around 60 TDS too. Distilled and RO is able to produced water that is 0 TDS.

Besides chlorine, which is unstable and can dessipate through aeration overnight. Our water also contain chloramine which is a more stable form of chlorine that do not dessipate easily.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

yeah... I wish to point out that think of family members health first before the fish when it is of concern lah... Otherwise, it is a bit er.... I don't know what to say....

RO or distilled water is not recommended for long term consumption due to the lacking of minerals. Why we used it for our hobby is that our salt-mix contains the necessary minerals for the optimum health of our hobby.

0 TDS = plain H20 with untraceable minerals, this will have lesser benefits than water that still have its dissolved minerals intact.

Thus drinking of distilled or RO water should not be consider as better for health. Most health conscious people will prefer to drink natural spring or mineral water than distilled water / RO water.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
:lol: if u think this way then drinking RO water = clean water. Then supplement with all the healthy food should be sufficient... :lol:

RO or distilled water is not recommended for long term consumption due to the lacking of minerals. Why we used it for our hobby is that our salt-mix contains the necessary minerals for the optimum health of our hobby.

0 TDS = plain H20 with untraceable minerals, this will have lesser benefits than water that still have its dissolved minerals intact.

Thus drinking of distilled or RO water should not be consider as better for health. Most health conscious people will prefer to drink natural spring or mineral water than distilled water / RO water.

thanks for the explanation

:thanks:

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
my tap register N03=10ppm :lol: as for the p04=undetect :P and TDS=60+ :(

anyway, our tap contain cholrine :rolleyes:

Hi!

As I have no means of taking the TDS... could u do me a favour just to satisfy my curiousity?

What I would like to find out is :

What is the TDS reading when there is a simple filter in your tap.... This simple filter is simply like the old times when your mama wrap a piece of cloth around the tap that do the cooking. If you have no idea what is it then go to provision shop and look around. I believe they are available cheaply. When u first wrap the tap, let the tap runs for a minute before collecting sample to test the TDS....

Your effort is much appreciated.

• SRC Member

don't worry... i know what is it. i grew up in that generation :D i took the measurement few months back... with that piece of cloth... the TDS at 50+. boiled water from the tap with the cloth filter... TDS 50+

age.png

don't worry... i know what is it. i grew up in that generation :D i took the measurement few months back... with that piece of cloth... the TDS at 50+. boiled water from the tap with the cloth filter... TDS 50+

:D:bow:

I'm speechless bro!

:D:bow:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

I have some probes on the figure if you don't mind....

Is the cloth clean to start off? Or it has been clog with dirts already when u take measurement?

It may be wise to :

- do one without

- one with a clean cloth

- one with dirty cloth tie to it

Maybe there is some interesting findings.... :P

PS: what and how to take TDS? Can show a little bit or not.... Your figure make me worry my health leh....

• SRC Member

it is clean "filter" cloth i used. i don't think it makes any different. without cloth i already have it registered at TDS 60+. with “filter†cloth and boiled and unboiled, both registered 50+.

as for the TDS, i am using the TDS pen probe type. don't know what it calls :)

don't have to worry of our tap water. it is safe to drink. with boiled and without boiled, TDS register same measurement :P so it makes no diff if you don’t boil it. Bacteria can't survive in our tap b’cos of chlorine and chloramines in it.

however, i am using DI water and distilled for my tank for past 3 years. this is to keep away those unwanted algae in my tank :D

age.png

TDS=Total Dissolve Solid

Mechanical filtration will not reduce the TDS, mechanical filtration will remove undisolved solids only. For dissolved solid chemcial reaction is neaded to separate the solid from H2O.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

• SRC Member

There are few other ways also beside chemical process. Wow, this topic become chemistry. Wanna join the New Water Industry?

Yrs before the new water is introduced in Singapore, I have measured the water in Jurong Housing Estate is having dKH of 2-3. The chlorine level is 30-40 ppm but 1 week ago I measured and it was 100ppm! The nitrate and ammonia level are low.

There are few other ways also beside chemical process. Wow, this topic become chemistry. Wanna join the New Water Industry?

Yrs before the new water is introduced in Singapore, I have measured the water in Jurong Housing Estate is having dKH of 2-3. The chlorine level is 30-40 ppm but 1 week ago I measured and it was 100ppm! The nitrate and ammonia level are low.

Can you mention some other ways as you mentioned?

As I know there are to types of separation, mechanical and chemical.

Mechnical separation this is strictly for un-dissolved matter either sink, suspended, or floating --> in simple term no ion bonding. This can be done by filtration, settling, acceleration with g-force device, belt press, etc.....

Chemical separation, this for two types liquid or phase that have ion bond, mechanical separtion is not able to separate these type of mixture. Threfore, chemical reaction is neaded such as heating up to break the bond, catalyst, bio-filter, resin, absorbent material. Example - Can you separate dissolved sugar with filter? As well chorine in our drinking water, it will not separate by those tap water filters available commercially. To remove the chlorine absorbent resin is needed, such to for DI water. The relation between chlrone and dKH (precipitated calcium carbonate) is at oppsite if chlorine is high the dkH will be low. Chlorine will act as water softener.

I am not chemical engineer so if anything misleading kindly enlighten me.

But you can ask lot of mechanical separation questions, since my employer motto is "We Take The Best, Separate The Rest"

• SRC Member

Hi thedidavid!

U r in water treatment industry? Can ask some questions?

In your opinion, what are the likely components in the TDS reading?

In a certain way, I have not figure out the benefits of using the distilled water yet... the benefits seems small (Singapore water is so clean overall) 'cos I would think that those food we feed, get to dirty the water more unless one feed pellets only... The important thing I look at the tap water is the absence of silicate, phosphate and nitrate which will fuel the algae.... The rest seems negible... [Offer the best grade of saltmix impact more]

I don't know about the impact of chloramine though... which many website educate us to beware.

Hi thedidavid!

U r in water treatment industry? Can ask some questions?

In your opinion, what are the likely components in the TDS reading?

In a certain way, I have not figure out the benefits of using the distilled water yet... the benefits seems small (Singapore water is so clean overall) 'cos I would think that those food we feed, get to dirty the water more unless one feed pellets only... The important thing I look at the tap water is the absence of silicate, phosphate and nitrate which will fuel the algae.... The rest seems negible... [Offer the best grade of saltmix impact more]

I don't know about the impact of chloramine though... which many website educate us to beware.

TDS Meter actually measuring the ion contents in the water general can be used as quick and dirty method to measure water quality. It won't tell you what are the dissolved minerals, whether good or bad. Example, the TDS after from DI filter is O but after mixing with salt the TDS will shoot again since there is changes in the water conductivity. Personnly I think tap water is enough.

• SRC Member

Can you mention some other ways as you mentioned?

As I know there are to types of separation, mechanical and chemical.

Mechnical separation this is strictly for un-dissolved matter either sink, suspended, or floating --> in simple term no ion bonding. This can be done by filtration, settling, acceleration with g-force device, belt press, etc.....

Chemical separation, this for two types liquid or phase that have ion bond, mechanical separtion is not able to separate these type of mixture. Threfore, chemical reaction is neaded such as heating up to break the bond, catalyst, bio-filter, resin, absorbent material. Example - Can you separate dissolved sugar with filter? As well chorine in our drinking water, it will not separate by those tap water filters available commercially. To remove the chlorine absorbent resin is needed, such to for DI water. The relation between chlrone and dKH (precipitated calcium carbonate) is at oppsite if chlorine is high the dkH will be low. Chlorine will act as water softener.

I am not chemical engineer so if anything misleading kindly enlighten me.

But you can ask lot of mechanical separation questions, since my employer motto is "We Take The Best, Separate The Rest"

means mechanical process and heat process.

Alamak this thread just a simple thread become so complicated. Dont make things so complicated la.

motto is "We Take The Best, Separate The Rest" means salary is put aside? wow, that means they willing to pay double? they need to employ anyone now? LOL

*Reeftask starts to type resume*

means mechanical process and heat process.

Alamak this thread just a simple thread become so complicated. Dont make things so complicated la.

motto is "We Take The Best, Separate The Rest" means salary is put aside? wow, that means they willing to pay double? they need to employ anyone now? LOL

*Reeftask starts to type resume*

Bro it's time to stop talk c*ck...just give me example lor I believe you've very vast knowledge.....maybe you can be rich if you can find way for better separation method (look at hyflux) . Don't worry my company pay me just enough to eat...happy liao....

• SRC Member

Bro it's time to stop talk c*ck...just give me example lor I believe you've very vast knowledge.....maybe you can be rich if you can find way for better separation method (look at hyflux) . Don't worry my company pay me just enough to eat...happy liao....

alamak, bad words also out.

*start to walk away*

not so easy to get rich. hyflux started as an engineering company and then water treatment equipments before this trade now. They have backups from sugar daddy. If I have backup, I also rich. Only ideas wont get rich. With sugar daddy 100% will get rich.

*hops away to find sugar daddy*

• SRC Member

alamak, bad words also out.

*start to walk away*

not so easy to get rich. hyflux started as an engineering company and then water treatment equipments before this trade now. They have backups from sugar daddy. If I have backup, I also rich. Only ideas wont get rich. With sugar daddy 100% will get rich.

*hops away to find sugar daddy*

Wah... this is your belief?

Only ideas wont get rich. With sugar daddy 100% will get rich.

It's true ideas won't get u rich but "ideas + effort" to make the idea from something in your brain only to something "solid" will.... One can have many ideas but it just take one good idea to get rich ;) As for sugar daddy... only when your idea is appealing that the sugar daddy will come :lol:

• SRC Member

Wah... this is your belief?

It's true ideas won't get u rich but "ideas + effort" to make the idea from something in your brain only to something "solid" will.... One can have many ideas but it just take one good idea to get rich ;) As for sugar daddy... only when your idea is appealing that the sugar daddy will come :lol:

nah, business world is a doggy dog world. As for Hyflux, they didnt invent those new water treatement. Europe and USA had long ago invented them but didnt go ahead because the cost is high and not worth. At that time when the Msia and Spore had conflict on the water issue, the government has to find a solution so Hyflux was introduced to this issue. This is a die die must want project so the government must die die backup. This is a political issue business so Hyflux will 100% gain. After this issue, every country knows that it is best interest to depend on self on water resources. Well, if you have ideas and no money, how to make it work? then you have go to the investor and they will ask, "who are you?" BTW before you see them, they already ignoring you, "another poor guy comes to beg" This world is damn realistic. If your good friend is a sugar daddy, no matter you have nothing, you will get rich through his support. Saw that on many rich ppl.

Alamak, why talk so much on unrelated issue? PPL just put this topic about NTUC distilled water, now we better go back to something related.