1HP Commercial Chillers

julescity

Hi,

thinking of getting a 1Hp once and for all, put a rest to my 1/4HP artica.

would like to gather feedback from reefers who've made this switch:

1. noise wise - izzit comparable or louder

2. heat wise - ditto

3. copper or titanium coil - izzit really worth the few hunderd to go titanium?

4. chill down and... are there other providers and what's the rates?

5. $$$ - this is a rhetorical ques. i suppose the elect bill will show savings, rite?

any thing else i should be aware of?

thanks

jules

• SRC Member

noise wise and heat wise for me was nil as the unit was located outside of the house.....but if you put the compressor inside the house might not be a good idea as heat is still transferred in...

also go for titanium...if drop in coil are expensive then go for the more traditionally exchanger when water is pump in instead....Rate various as even some aircon man can do the job, you just have to ask around but from what i have heard about the price of an artica, some people even manage half.....

Dunno about the elect saving....never did really check....:P

• SRC Member

I have 1 in the house just beside the tank in the hall but the fan is blowing the warm air out toward the door. Before using this, I was using a CL650 for my 4x2x2. The Cl650 gave out more heat than the larger Starmex. Noise wise is more quieter than the 650. It took only 20 minute to cool down from 26 degree to 25 degree with 6x54w of T5 HO lightset. And it rest for 2hr.

If money is tight, get the copper ones but if you have the budget then titanium is your choice. But 1 very important thing to take note of is that once installed, nothing can be moved, be it the compressor, the piping and the coil. So you must plan for the path that the copper pipe need to be installed.

I have 1 in the house just beside the tank in the hall but the fan is blowing the warm air out toward the door. Before using this, I was using a CL650 for my 4x2x2. The Cl650 gave out more heat than the larger Starmex. Noise wise is more quieter than the 650. It took only 20 minute to cool down from 26 degree to 25 degree with 6x54w of T5 HO lightset. And it rest for 2hr.

If money is tight, get the copper ones but if you have the budget then titanium is your choice. But 1 very important thing to take note of is that once installed, nothing can be moved, be it the compressor, the piping and the coil. So you must plan for the path that the copper pipe need to be installed.

are you able to set the temp differential i.e. +- Xdegrees before it kicks in? dun like the idea of the chiller kciking in every time temperature goes up by 1 degree

• SRC Member

are you able to set the temp differential i.e. +- Xdegrees before it kicks in? dun like the idea of the chiller kciking in every time temperature goes up by 1 degree

I assume you're asking about the StarMEX?

Yes, you can set the differential.

The controller is the same as the instructions I passed to you previously.

I think the noise for the StarMEX compressor is quieter when compared to my previous aquarium chiller. There is also less heat generated, and for a much shorter time too.