yellow tang

mv3i

• SRC Member

hi guys ,

i know most guys would tell me against doing this but need to really see the response on this .....

presently , i have a purple and blue tang .... really wanna add a yellow tang to it .... question : will they be compatible ... my 2 tangs are still juvenile hence , they might accept each other or they could really "kill" each other :angry:

anyone try that before .... think AT should have something to say about this ??

how much is pac marine selling them for ??

thanks

:D

It would be OK if your tank is large enough.

Do not forget that the fish will grow, and get more aggressive over space.

From personal experience, the purple can be quite aggressive and bully the yellow but then they are in 6ft tank plenty of room for evasive action....

It is possible with enough hiding places and selecting the right size to put in at the right time. The blue tang should be quite safe. The purple tang is the one that u need to watch out. Try to get a yellow tang that is ~1" bigger than the purple if possible. That should give him the advantage. And make sure u quarantine the yellow tang in your main tank (inside one of those small quarantine tank). I find that they sort of will get to know each other after awhile and when u put them together, the purple tang may not be as aggressive. The best time to release is right after feeding and lower the light to just the actinic for a while (~15min) and then off everything till the next morning.

As for the price, usually it is ~$18 and something can be as low as $15.

• SRC Member

Both yellow and purple will be agressive to each other whichever is the older resident in the tank. My 1 year old yellow slit the body of a new powder brown even though the powder brown was 20% bigger! Strangly, it did not attack the Kole I put in. ??

Marine Life in Hong Leong have a few small yellows for $20. Used to be $18 few months back.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Well, I am not a member of the US tang police, so I won't dare lay strict tang gospel rules on you...

Tangs do grow big and they do need a sizeable tank to swim in. If you have a small tank <3 ft or even medium <4ft.... and also depending on how much corals/liverock you put in... your tangs may not have enough space to swim in. They will outgrow your tank and you will have to be prepared to give them away.

As for compatibility, I would say that tangs will be able to accept each other as tankmates if they are all added at the same time. If you have tangs which have already established themselves... you will have a harder time, coz they will give the newcomer a hard time. But if the new tang can take the initial tail-lashing, not break out in ich due to stress, survive the ich... and EAT well... chances are you have a keeper.

Harder-to-keep tangs like ATs and PBTs have a worser chance as they are ultra-sensitive and demanding eg. highly oxygenated clean turbulent water.

I have a medium size yellow tang and used to have 3 purple tangs (1 is still with me, the other 2 I recently sold away a couple of months back)which I introduced together. There was a week where the established YT made his authority known by tail-slapping the 3 PTs... but after that... they are best buddies, eating, schooling and growing fat together....

IMO, tangs/surgeonfish are the most beautiful reef fishes.... but also cause a lot of heartaches when they don't make it.... poor acclimatization, stress, inability to adapt quickly, not eating well...

Good luck!

• SRC Member

thanks

i will ponder over it for a while .... as for feeding ... i have the magical garlic seasoned MS for them liao .... just in case ... experience that already but now all doing very well .. even my anthias love the seasoned garlic foodstuff

:lol::lol::lol:

anyone seen any yellow tang around lately ... beside hong leong

• SRC Member

personally , i have not been to that place ... can give some direction ... driving there lah ... thanks ....

also directions for LCK farmway 6 ... AT can give some directions and update me pls if they have some "stuff" coming in . I really like clams now ... thanks

• SRC Member
personally , i have not been to that place ... can give some direction ... driving there lah ... thanks ....

also directions for LCK farmway 6 ... AT can give some directions and update me pls if they have some "stuff" coming in . I really like clams now ... thanks

i would like to go too, if your car still can accommodate 1 person.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

It's called New Trio Fisheries. Add: 261, Neo Tiew Crescent (LCK110). Travel along Jalan Bahar till Lim Chu Kang. Turn right into Nwo Tiew Road. It's a long and winding road. Lastly, filter left into Neo Tiew Crescent. It is on the way to Sungei Buloh Reserve.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Will give up my 3 inch yellow tang once I managed to catch it out. Mine has become too aggressive towards even Harlequin Tuskfish.

This little bugger is eating very well and and catching him is asking for him to come and kick you in the face.

Ha !

IMHO, Tangs should be added last if you can.

Now trying to save money to buy that Gold Flake Angel that I've been eyeing at CoralFarm.

• SRC Member

New Trio is very easy to find. Just after the "bridge" over the reservoir, look out for the first Neo Tiew Crescent Turn towards the right. You can also see a black and yellow sign that reads "Marine Fish -->" :lol:

BTW, everyone else... do ALL tangs grow large? Are there any that grows to a largest of 3 - 5 inches? B)

• SRC Member

i have a problem too- i have a 4" yellow tang. seems i cant add anymore fishes or they get sliced up.

added a copperband butterfly(all was fine in the 1st 2 days) & then it got sliced into pieces on the 3rd day.3weeks later i added a small sailfin tang(cause i thought it was the colours of the butterfly-or the size)- took 20mins before all hell broke loose but this time i was there to fish out the sailfin. :angry:

It only tolerates clowns, even firegobies it chased out of the tank(literally).

so does this mean i got to re-setup ,either rescape or start new tank so that i can intro new fishes?

• SRC Member

i've previously reset my tanks just to take out 2 purple and 2 yellow tangs who are getting too fat and fierce towards any other fishes. Flushed them down the toilet bowl (so as to revenge for those dead fishes who gave their lifes to Tangs scapels)

They can even kill damsels !!

• SRC Member
i've previously reset my tanks just to take out 2 purple and 2 yellow tangs who are getting too fat and fierce towards any other fishes. Flushed them down the toilet bowl (so as to revenge for those dead fishes who gave their lifes to Tangs scapels)

They can even kill damsels !!

flushed them down the toilet?? no joke???? :o i'm sure there are ppl who are willing to accept them.. :( i feel heartache for the fishes....

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Look guys,

You have to accept it that every fish has its own character. You may have heard of weird individuals now and then who do things totally out of character of the species... eg. big angel which don't eat coral polyps, tangs which eat corals, a tame damsel or triggerfish, a sailfin tang attacking clams, etc etc.

It's the luck of the draw... so if you can't accept it... pls give it away to someone who can provide different conditions for it. Maybe it was feeling stressed in your tank, maybe it was unfed, maybe it was being bullied.. I dunno... it may changed its behaviour in someone else's tank.

Just don't overreact okie? I mean if it's a mantis shrimp... I understand... but a tang down the sewer? <_<

• SRC Member

Ok...ok...i was very frustrated with those tangs so the reason to hit the toilet bowl.

Now looking a method to fish out my 12 inch snowflake (getting too big and me getting too lazy to feed him seperartely from others)....

Any takers for a Unagi Lunch box made from Snowflake ?