A new beginning

wilsontantw

Hey Mr Wilson!!!!

Nice to see you online ah! yes $4 for a sea fan is a good deal. Wa from that night you so fast bought yourself a sea fan!

Really can't wait to shift to my new place and get myself a tank man!

Finally found a close kaki to go LFS!

bro where did u get the sea fan from ?

The seafan - now we can see the natural colours (yellow + orange tones)... taken in daylight. (Apologies for the glass reflections).

All polyps opening up.

post-13920-1203314014.jpg

Is is a good deal at $4? Or did i over pay? haha...

Somehow i feel that seafans doesn't really last long, so am going to use this as a guage whether the tank water parameters are good...

:evil:

And something interesting to note: For some strange reasons, ever since the seafan was introduced, the YT never dares to swim past it. Anyone has this experience before?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

Great looking tank!

$4 is definitely a good deal :D

Yes, Seafans are difficult to keep alive for a long period of time... personally, I find them less critical to water conditions... but feeding it frequently with coral food (for filter feeders) and appropriate flow pattern are the key :) I am a seafan enthusiast too :D

All the best!

Thanks for the compliment, nothing spectacular at all, except for the scaping, which im quite satisfied, and it definitely looks more 3D in real life. But the fact is, the tank still lots to improve...

But yes, i agree, seafans are difficult to keep, coz they are micro feeders (if not nano).

I used to keep them abt 4 years ago, but naturally, didn't last anything more than 2 weeks. hahaha. In fact, when i brought it back, it barely open... since then, it's downhill all the way.

This time round, I'm pretty encouraged, at least all the polyps open and looks much better than when in LFS. Let's hope it'll continue this way...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Hey Mr Wilson!!!!

Nice to see you online ah! yes $4 for a sea fan is a good deal. Wa from that night you so fast bought yourself a sea fan!

Really can't wait to shift to my new place and get myself a tank man!

Finally found a close kaki to go LFS!

Hey You! Finally get to see you! You know, now that you mentioned, i really find your nick very familiar.

I also started reefing about 4-5 years back. And i do remember seeing your nick, coz it looks like eminem.

And yes, i added a few stuff since Sat night... Sea fan + 2 other fish, coz i managed to clear the Sailfin Tang. You should have seen the 2 Tangs together... They're both like WWE Heavyweight Tag-Team champions. Once they appear in the center 'arena', all other fish will swim off. Now, my purple firefish will actually come into the 'arena' during feeding time. In fact they are now trained to all gather in the center of the tank during feeding... makes my life a lot easier.

Dun worry dude, another 3 more months to go... I'll be more than happy to help you with the setup. In fact, please call me, i'll gladly take time off to go shopping with ya! Provided the Wives dun go, you know lah, they go, they want everything... Even those damnsels. But then again, when we do our own shopping, they can do theirs! Now we get excuse liao.

Feel free to drop by and fish watch. And you need to bring me to LCK and CF, i went there about 2-3 times about 4 years ago, but its been so many years, i dun remember the way there anymore.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

bro where did u get the sea fan from ?

Your friendly neighbourhood Ah Beng shop. The tank with all the sea fans. Facing the entrance, very last row of the shop. First rack on the left, top most tank.

Did i just break a rule of listing the price @ shop?

Apparently, he initially quoted $5-8... But of coz, i really didn't know how the fan will last, so i pleaded to get some discount. In case i waste the money. So it's a genuine case of 'trying', not so much of bargaining lah. (i think it'll help if you bring a female companion... i dunno why, but seems like everytime i go with one, asking for discount seems to work!) hahahaha...

Please dun quote me on that!

FYI, there were another purple one and a light green, that i really really really really liked. It was a close decision between the 3. If i knew they'll open up, i would have bought all 3 and ask for $10! hahaha.

So, go grab it before i do!

Btw, if you tank is huge, there's another orange one, it opens up to bigger than my outstretched-palm finger-to-finger. BIG! And polyps are opening too.

Seems to me not many shops carry sea fans nowadays.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

yo bro, your tank is looking better :eyebrow:

keep it up :rolleyes:

:paiseh:

hehe, thanx bro. reefing is a journey, not a destination right? So yah, have to 'slowly' play. i like the fact that everyday, i add a little something... spot some new stuff growing... and just 10 mins ago, i found some new stuff growing on the LR, but can't really take a good pix, so we'll just wait and see.

I enjoy LFSing too much... im now looking for some really nice mushies and zoas. The 2 lobos are now opening bigger and bigger, im afraid i may have to sell the one that's purple tip + green body. (that piece has 3 heads, and its really huge piece).

Will sell when offered irresistible price. haha!

Lobo RHS of tank

post-13920-1203353397.jpg

Lobo FTS

post-13920-1203353377.jpg

And finally managed to get a decent shot of the anthias It's a female squareback anthias.

post-13920-1203353413.jpg

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Hey You! Finally get to see you! You know, now that you mentioned, i really find your nick very familiar.

I also started reefing about 4-5 years back. And i do remember seeing your nick, coz it looks like eminem.

And yes, i added a few stuff since Sat night... Sea fan + 2 other fish, coz i managed to clear the Sailfin Tang. You should have seen the 2 Tangs together... They're both like WWE Heavyweight Tag-Team champions. Once they appear in the center 'arena', all other fish will swim off. Now, my purple firefish will actually come into the 'arena' during feeding time. In fact they are now trained to all gather in the center of the tank during feeding... makes my life a lot easier.

Dun worry dude, another 3 more months to go... I'll be more than happy to help you with the setup. In fact, please call me, i'll gladly take time off to go shopping with ya! Provided the Wives dun go, you know lah, they go, they want everything... Even those damnsels. But then again, when we do our own shopping, they can do theirs! Now we get excuse liao.

Feel free to drop by and fish watch. And you need to bring me to LCK and CF, i went there about 2-3 times about 4 years ago, but its been so many years, i dun remember the way there anymore.

Sure anytime

Hey bro why no more post?

errr... becoz im working?? haha... Super bz lately man, no time to buy anything... but no worries, i think by end this week, should have another 2 items coming right up.

Yday night was at a fellow reefer's place till like 2plus in the morning! Got home around 3am.

After that watch liverpool kick some italian bu**! By the time i sleep, can hear birds chirping liao.

Shucks man, when i got home last night, even the moonlight was turned off liao, so didn't do any feeding. This morning, woke up so freaking late... just showered and rush out of the house, didn't feed again!

Tonight gotta do 'entertain client'! Guess my fishes/corals are really suffering! Must teach wifey to feed them soon, else they'll all starve to death.

One question: to those who use Sorb4, how do you find it ah?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member
Thanks Sunny/Roger....

I guess i'm using too low power pump to drive my Po4-FR, only some parts of the beads moving... i find my PO4 a little high...

Time to upgrade liao. Maybe need to get a bigger FR.

Pump should not too high while beads should only " dancing" on the surface will be ok. for me just Tee off from chiller pump with control valve. so that saved one pump and space.

Pump should not too high while beads should only " dancing" on the surface will be ok. for me just Tee off from chiller pump with control valve. so that saved one pump and space.

Maybe my FR is lousy one (from the looks of it, it's quite an old model very 'used')... coz only one side of the beads are like 'moving' very slowly.

I'm running a really small pump, resun, 500-600l/h.

Aquabee 5000> T-off to return and chiller (maybe i should do another T-off to the FR??)

Rio 20> powering beckett skimmer

Am planning to get a cheapo dolphin pump to run T-off to 2 FRs, one for Sorb4, another for Carbon.

Need some advice here, can the Rio 20 be placed outsump? I'm kinda planning to take out the skimmer and Rio, coz it seems like the Rio is emitting alot of heat.

This way, my sump can be used to do DSB + plant some mangroves... :)

Am trying to save some energy bills here... Can't afford to have the chiller kick in too often.

Noted that my chiller needs 1 hour to cool down 1 degree. :(

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member
Maybe my FR is lousy one (from the looks of it, it's quite an old model very 'used')... coz only one side of the beads are like 'moving' very slowly.

I'm running a really small pump, resun, 500-600l/h.

Aquabee 5000> T-off to return and chiller (maybe i should do another T-off to the FR??)

Rio 20> powering beckett skimmer

Am planning to get a cheapo dolphin pump to run T-off to 2 FRs, one for Sorb4, another for Carbon.

Need some advice here, can the Rio 20 be placed outsump? I'm kinda planning to take out the skimmer and Rio, coz it seems like the Rio is emitting alot of heat.

This way, my sump can be used to do DSB + plant some mangroves... :)

Am trying to save some energy bills here... Can't afford to have the chiller kick in too often.

Noted that my chiller needs 1 hour to cool down 1 degree. :(

Rio pumps are meant for insump

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

More powerful pumps that is placed outsump somemore use to power a beckett means 100+ watts pump means u save chiller bill pay more skimmer bill lol. Well low wattage outsump pumps have a few lah but cost an arm u want to buy?

like i said bro, it's like maciam choosing between the devil or the deep blue sea, both ways also die.

i think still can kinda manage for now... unless someone has a FREE pump to give! haha

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Good morning n good news bro its almost 6am here after i spent 2hrs moding the aquabee into the skimmer. I would say i did a very professional job lol bloody happy with it. Looks like it was the intended pump in the first place. Only thing the pipings on the left side had to be slanted slightly. And i did'nt do any mod that was permanent meaning anytime wanna change back pumps also no problemo.

Heres some pics but i havent submerged it yet to test cos the one joint that i siliconed needs time to set, play safe i dowanna go thru another 2hrs lah got many other stuff to do. Will fire up later when i wake up and posts pics in my thread stay tuned. Will help u soon too with ur denitrator b4 u leave SG. Wa ki koonz liao sibei buay tahun. By the way nice home u have i'd like to say again.

post-6513-1203630702.jpg

post-6513-1203630739.jpg

Good morning n good news bro its almost 6am here after i spent 2hrs moding the aquabee into the skimmer. I would say i did a very professional job lol bloody happy with it. Looks like it was the intended pump in the first place. Only thing the pipings on the left side had to be slanted slightly. And i did'nt do any mod that was permanent meaning anytime wanna change back pumps also no problemo.

Heres some pics but i havent submerged it yet to test cos the one joint that i siliconed needs time to set, play safe i dowanna go thru another 2hrs lah got many other stuff to do. Will fire up later when i wake up and posts pics in my thread stay tuned. Will help u soon too with ur denitrator b4 u leave SG. Wa ki koonz liao sibei buay tahun. By the way nice home u have i'd like to say again.

Bloody holly molly!

No wonder you didn't reply my sms. Still kooning sia! You're really good at this DIY shit yah! Looks good, must give me update, i really hope the pump will help! Coz it's sitting in my pail for like 2 weeks unused! Waste money right?

Thanks for the offer for doing up the denitrator, now i need to ensure it can be used outsump, else dun even think.

Update me ah!!!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

with the amt of elbow joints, the head loss might be tremendous...

I figured, since he's using a more powerful power (than required), it should be okie... (i hope).

:eyebrow:

soul.... how? wake up liao not? time to put the pump to test!!!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member
with the amt of elbow joints, the head loss might be tremendous...

The main pump's job (aquabee3000 in the pic) is only to recirculate the water in the main chamber in a continuous loop thru the venturi air injector, making the bubbles finer and finer. Theres another 1200l/hr feedpump connected at the water inlet pipe not shown in the pics.

Theres many joints at the area where the aquabee is bcos its for easy maintenaince, 2 union joints before and after the pump for easy disconnection. Skimmer was designed by the americans so u can compare it with the way they design cars i guess, raw power is the name of the game.