A new beginning

wilsontantw

not sure but do not think so..

maybe i can drop by east on their spawning day haha.

but the fries will be food if you do not removed them :<

no more space for a standby tank?

For me, it's not the space, but the lack of knowledge + time.

:paiseh:

of coz, with guidance, it's a different story.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

led torch to find e babies swimming, not sure how is ur current flowing hopefully they can settle somewhere without predator ....

u do not wan to on ur main light n wake every1 up n start eating the babies...

i suspect the only way to keep the fries will be to take the LR outta the tank and take care of it in a separate tank.

will probably post in another thread, hopefully can get a detailed step-by-step....

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

i suspect the only way to keep the fries will be to take the LR outta the tank and take care of it in a separate tank.

will probably post in another thread, hopefully can get a detailed step-by-step....

dun need to take the lr out, during hatching the fries will try to swim to the water surface or somewhere brighter..

thts y i ask u ur tank flow at certain area is it very strong? else they kanna blow or bcum mincemeat already...

the fries hv higher chance of living if put inside a seperate container, the whole process hv to be done inside the water, dun expose e fries to air..

• SRC Member

coincidentally, i actually borrowed 2 books from the library to read up more on breeding about 2 weeks ago..

i still have it with me, and surprisingly the guides/steps are clearer than any information that i can find online..

if you have the time can rush down to your nearest NLB for a search

CLOWNFISHES A guide to their captive care, breeding and natural history (639.377)

The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes (639.342)

from what i read,

dont worry if this batch of eggs fail...

clownfish will breed again and again after their first one..

so meanwhile if you're serious about trying,

i found these 2 books rather interesting and much more helpful than the websites i googled :)

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

another faster and easier method is to buy Fuel a good dinner :)

Hey Wilson.... Pics of your new scape!!!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

another faster and easier method is to buy Fuel a good dinner :)

Hey Wilson.... Pics of your new scape!!!

yeah man bro.

how did the eggs fare.

can go chiong .... corals sponsered by SAF IPPT fees.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

Joys of Fatherhood.laugh.gif

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Quick update.

Rescaping as a whole brings me mixed feelings...

Thanks to Ray, (you're the man!) 6am yah.

The tank now has a pretty interesting layout.

But Murphy decided to visit us, and while catching the fish, we kinda messes out the entire tank. Trust me, we removed everything (except sand) from the tank.

As a result, the remaining tank water had to be siphoned off and tap water was pumped into the tank to clean the sand.

So effectively, I'm starting afresh again. Just hope the corals and livestock will pull thru.

Does anything has any other suggestions?? Cannot tahan. Gotta go take a nap.

Zzzzzz

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Add in bacteria.

Use NSW.

Give your LS to me. eyebrow.gif

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Quick update.

But Murphy decided to visit us, and while catching the fish, we kinda messes out the entire tank. Trust me, we removed everything (except sand) from the tank.

As a result, the remaining tank water had to be siphoned off and tap water was pumped into the tank to clean the sand.

So effectively, I'm starting afresh again. Just hope the corals and livestock will pull thru.

Zzzzzz

drain all the water from ur tank, ask iwarna send nsw, dose bacteria, after everything settle down say 1 - 2 hours, test ur water....if everything is okie, can put in the corals n some fishes....

Quick update.

Zzzzzz

sorry I don't get it here. you said you pump in tapwater to wash the sand and then what's next? You put salt inside with the livestock and fishes to mix to correct salinity?

Dump ALOT of carbon to help with the cleaning up. You need them badly.

Addition of GFO will help as well.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Quick update.

Zzzzzz

dun thank me man.. i contributed to Murphy's visit... lol... blushing.gif

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

would like to thank the very supportive reefing friends here who kept me going during these very dark days!

last weekend, during the rescape, it was such a disaster that i almost gave up the hobby...

Thanks to Ray, Eniram, Cedric, JoeP and many other bros who helped, and spent time/effort/advice to help... i'm still trying to cling on to whatever hope there is... (and with my 3 weeks trip coming right up soon, really keeping my fingers crossed for the best!)

Anyway, will try to share as much as i can here.

1) removed all corals and place into blue tub.

2) removed half of main tank water -> left half in main tank

3) removed all Live Rocks

4) try to catch all fish and transfer into blue tub (or so we thought)

5) took the chance to clean up the glass and detritus on sand.

6) after cleaning, tank water was totally murky, decided to siphon out all water.

7) remove entire tank water + sump + filter wool + everything (left only sand)

8) after cleaning up, found my mandarin and leopard wrasse (surprised that they are still alive)

And the above, was still 'ok'...

nightmare started when i decided to put water back into the tank... school boy mistake... as i didn't prepare enuff water, i decided to pipe water from tap and pump directly into the main tank. :cry2:

That's 1 fresh water 'bath'....

thoroughly washed the live sand (with fresh water!), stir up everything.. detritus and all... found many many worms! one was almost 2 ft long!

Water's dirty by now, so siphon out again!

With the sand now clean... went ahead to rescape live rock! (nice scape, thanks to Ray who actually did a sketch of how the scape should look like.)

Next, another dose of fresh water, this time main tank + sump, and set the return pump to run... with both live sand + live rock in tank! Dropped in almost an entire pail of tropic marin salt into the sump hoping the salt mix will helped me reach the ideal salinity of 1.022, but end up, only achieved 1.010!

-- At this moment, i didn't even think that i've done something totally wrong (believe me!) -- at 4am, you probably only want to quickly get the tank filled up asap!

When we stopped to take a breather, until we see lots of dead worms and pods floating in the tank. :o

It was only then, i knew this was game over for the tank... the only consolation was that everything has been transferred out to blue tub.

we called it a night at 6.30 am, when both of us were totally physically and mentally tired.

Totally messed up my living room. Spent another 2 hours cleaning up, and only managed to go to bed ard 9am. Couldn't sleep, so work up at 11am, it was only then, that i realised, i think i really screwed up.

Immediately, called Iwarna to deliver NSW + bacteria... did another full water change,

Now, i'm totally drained, and knew that its going to be another month before i can put my corals back in.

post-13920-12722165653413_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12722165792439_thumb.jpg

So, ended up, borrowed a spare chiller from Cedric (thanks buddy!) who despite having a migraine, came over to my place with Ray and hooked up the chiller for me to ensure there's no leak of sorts! Eniram for dropping by and helping with the rescape too.

Yes guys, Ding Tai Fung! or if you want, we can always try imperial treasure at T3! That's my fav dim sum place now.

I've also transferred the apf600 from main tank to the blue tub, hopefully these measures will keep my livestocks more 'alive' for the next 3 weeks, am counting on the buddies to help with water change/dosing of 'supplements' while i'm away.

So, i guess this basically summarises why my sudden "quietness" from the forum...

A simple rescape (which i've planned for months), ended with a totally new scape PLUS new tank cycling too.

Update for today: it seems like the main tank has stabilised, and i've added some zoas (quite a lot, including RB's purchase), yuma, mushroom and even 2 rics to test water... results seemed pretty okie... but will still monitor. Today added a six-line (in betta box)... still surviving also.

Here're 2 views of the new scape, without the corals in place, the scape still looks weird... but have to bear with this for the time being.

post-13920-12722177282964_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12722177412559_thumb.jpg

So, this is my story, school boy mistake... hope that this becomes a lesson...

Goodnight world... now this makes me appreciate the forum a lot! it's so good to know that there are so many friendly and helpful reefers around!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

wah bro, lucky everything settle with all those help from other bro.

running a skimmer in the tub really helps alot (if you got wavemaker dump it in too).

all the best bro!!! need anything sms me :peace:

It's my version of hell-week bro! this past week was bad @ work and reefing! I feel like decomming almost every day! Fortunately, wifey was quite understanding, though she was really hoping i can clear things up before we fly (but it's definitely not possible now).

oh yes, i forgot to mention, i do have a tunze nano wavebox in the blue tub (my spare one)...

a small pump is used to draw water from one corner -> chiller -> skimmer -> return to the other corner...

i am still looking for a spare skimmer for my main tank though... but i know this is going to be a tough one... who keeps a spare skimmer anyway??

will share more pix next time to show the very classic old-skool chiller from cedric.. damn cool man! and it's super efficient!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

lol i got a spare beckett skimmer

for my past 4feet tank

needs rio 20 pump to draw it water inside sump and pump it to beckett. need to have air pump too.

the piping for the return is abit werid as i had used it for my blue tub

if you want can loan you haha (must cut away the return piping as it will cause the skimmer to overflow via the collectio cup due to return pressure).

yea understand the feeling but if you decom today you will be back in a few months haha.

it's that poisonous bro.. lucky you didn't!!!

jiayou jiayou~

Bro oni: I wanted to decom cos I was worried the blue tub can't hold the livestock for 1 month. For rescape, it's okie, but to cycle the tank again, everything will die in that tub man.

Fortunately now everything is more or less stabilized. Buy I just suffered 1 fish casualty today.

My beloved yellow eye Kole was bullied by the ABT in the tub, so bad that it didn't even come out during feeding time. Tried to take it out yday but it couldn't pull thru. Damn sad.

Hey no worries abt te Beckett man. I try not to do too much mod on ur skimmer lah.

Will just see how, worse case, go LFS to find a 2nd piece. Sure I can find something somehow.

Oh actually, if I do decom, I guess I will take quite a long break. Cos I think it will be too heart breaking.

Bro kiko: thanks for passing me the skimmer man. I also hoping it can work. Will try again tmrw, dun dare to use it outsump leh, in case of leak. Let's just hope everything will be okie tmrw. No worries abt the wavemaker, I still have a couple of small wavemakers. So lucky that I have not sold my 2x6025 and the nano wavebox.

Again, thanks guys! This is what makes me so addicted to this forum.

Casualty list will be published tmrw...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Wow bro, it has been a week of hell indeed... Reading your account of what happened is really damn depressing. Wonder how you managed to keep a cheerful smile that night at RB haha. Nice meeting you bro, next time you need manpower feel free to call me too.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

wow wilson, I knew you rescape but did not know the extent of the problems you encountered.

No wonder you can only drool at those fishes in RB.......

I kinda feel sorry cause I was not aware of your predicament. Next time just drop us a note, I am sure we can each safe keep a couple of corals for you then pass it back to you when your tank is ready.

Hope your corals survive in the tub and that your tank is ready soon.

I screwed up big time on my previous previous rescape using artificial rock.

killed my RGs, firefish and true perc.

its a learning curve. tonight I am so much more ready than the last time. :)

I am sure that you are now a better reefer and next time, you will know what to do and you can give better guidance and advise to other fellow reefers in future too.

Tough times never last! Press on bro!

On you scape. Left side is pretty nice. nice steps to place corals. On the right side, maybe if you move the 2 vertical rocks to the back will be better.

They are kind of obstructing the view.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

beckette 32" x 8" diameter on a iwaki md55.

thats my spare one.

you can have it if you need.

but i dunno if the pump still functioning or not. need to check.

and man, that "misfortune" was terrible.

and for the 2 lr at the front, you can do without it.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

bro should have called me for help too.

i thought u were busy with clownfishes eggs ><

sms me if anything bro

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.