2ft tank needs?

i have a 2ft tank, im very new to this hobby i need help so far i got my tank last fri its surviving but im not sure is everything ok as in will everything last so please help me ok my discription for my tank is

i got a skimmer which cost $10.50

a BOYU light which is 15V

and a BOYU filter too

is this all ok???

if not please stats steps i need to follow please..

thanks.

• SRC Member
eh my BOYU ligths is 15W not 15V sorry hahas...

please some advice please.

=]

What's in your tank dude? What's surviving?

Sounds like you jumped into this without reading up at all. Never too late. Check out the "New to Marine Aquaria" Sub-forum. Lots of information you can use there.

What are the LS you have beside anemone and clown fish? Your light is insufficient to keep anemone at least 4 HO ATI T5. Anemone also like cooler water. Skimmer not strong enough. Are you using Sea water or salt mix? Maybe a photo of your set up will help.

This is my tank PLEASE help me im very noob but i really like reefing so please help thanks.

hope the photo will help sorry if its very ugly course im jus a beginner.

thanks.

erm all the fishes are hiding . hahas.

post-14267-1204792466.jpg

• SRC Member

hi jonny,

good thing is, u bought seawater, its easier to start off, which explains why ur livestocks are still surviving.. you've got live rocks, which is a must actually..

bad thing is, you've treated this like a freshwater setup.. marine is different. very different.. needs sump tank, good enough skimmer, biofiltration which removes excess nutrients.. stuff like that.. if im not wrong it'll soon crash, as the ammonia level will soon start to spike up..

need to purchase some kits to test for ammonia nitrite and nitrate..

and gotta have patience, let the water cycle in the tank for at least 1 month before adding livestocks..

that's my view.. cheers bro..

• SRC Member

live rocks are good.. :)

er, most ppl connect their tank to a separate tank, we call that sump tank.. that tank holds extra water, and whatever filtration u have, like using live rocks in the sump tank, or using sand bed, or using chaetos.. or putting biohomes, or even placing ur skimmer inside..

those freshwater filter: those with sponge inside, not very useful in marine setups..

• SRC Member

Erm, a tank should always sit fully on a flat surface. THe way your tank sits partially on the cabinet looks pretty dangerous. Uneven pressure on the tank bottom might cause it to fail earlier than expected. Normally we'll place a styrofoam board or foam base between the surface of the tank bottom and the cabinet to smooth out any uneven surface. :lol: Prevention is better than cure.....good luck and have fun in the hobby.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

This is my tank PLEASE help me im very noob but i really like reefing so please help thanks.

hope the photo will help sorry if its very ugly course im jus a beginner.

thanks.

erm all the fishes are hiding . hahas.

Hi Jonny,

You might remember me. I'm Rudy's cuz, we went to Aquamarin together? Anyway, I've explained to you the right procedure to start a marine Aquarium the other day. Maybe this link (below) will help you.

http://wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15

Anyway, you made the right thing by joining this club. ; )

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

how come ur tank is hanging and not resting FLAT on a table?? thats dangerous manz..as what other reefers mentioned...

best that you read up more...dun be too rush...patiences...and best of all...theres this site to answer all your doubts!

Getting basic things like hydrometer, test kits is important.

cheers and good luckz!

hahas its very stable hahas.

not 100% la

thanks for your concern bro. Cheers!

Better place the tank securely on a flat surface. It's no joke, the amount of water + salt + rocks ... the weight is more than you expect. Especially it seems that yours is a freshwater tank converted to marine (I did it before, I know).

Freshwater tanks are usually made of much thinner glass, it is not able to withstand higher pressure exerted by the additional weight of the salt + rocks. By not placing your tank flat on a secure surface, you are putting uneven stress on the already over-stressed thin glass panels ... it's a matter of time that the tank cracks.

My freshwater converted to marine setup: picture as follows,

It remains as my QT for a while, and now it is converted back to freshwater. Got my new Nano marine tank stablized already.

post-14187-1206462816.jpg

Just to give you a quick idea of how heavy a typical small nano marine tank can be:

Nano Tank, glass equipment etc. appox 10 to 18 kg

If it is a 28 gallon (appox 100 L) system, the freshwater itself will be around 100 kg

salt alone, you will need close to 4kg

live rocks, most people add around 20 to 40 kg

You can see that a relatively "small" nano tank can also add up to be more than 150 kg

... so don't play play, be safe rather than sorry ...