Replace two part dosing with Kalk only

nanny

My 2part A,B buffering solution is used up. Thinking of using SeaChem Kalk to substitute it as it is cheaper and last longer. Will I be able to achieve the same buffering (PH, Alk, calcium) conditions or is there any additional additives I am missing here? Currently, I am also doing trace elements once a week.

Can the Kalk be dripped everyday together as part of my daily fresh water top-up? I am dripping 1.5 liter daily. Will it be overdosing if I am doing it daily? No SPS but few soft corals at the moment. What is the typical regime of your Kalk dripping and powder content for dosage for 1.5l?

Please advise, great masters...

• SRC Member
My 2part A,B buffering solution is used up. Thinking of using SeaChem Kalk to substitute it as it is cheaper and last longer. Will I be able to achieve the same buffering (PH, Alk, calcium) conditions or is there any additional additives I am missing here? Currently, I am also doing trace elements once a week.

Can the Kalk be dripped everyday together as part of my daily fresh water top-up? I am dripping 1.5 liter daily. Will it be overdosing if I am doing it daily? No SPS but few soft corals at the moment. What is the typical regime of your Kalk dripping and powder content for dosage for 1.5l?

Please advise, great masters...

hi, i don't think you will over dose your kalk. i used to use it for my water top up for years. and i does promote good coraline algae grow. ;)

anyway, i am using kalk to top-up my frag tank (mainly softies). the corals are growing well ;)

age.png

Just checked my parameters after 2 days of Kalk dripping... PH value is dropping to 8.0... Calcium is also lower than before my A & B solution is used up. Maybe I am not generous enough with the powder? I am now mixing half teaspoon for 1.5l. Is it too little for a 3ft tank?

Might wanna increase the concentration tonite. I am more worried that it can kill all my LS if I increase too much? But now it seems like the parameters are begining to drop to dangerous level if I dont increase the dosage. Any early signs to look for if I have overdose it tonite?

• SRC Member
Just checked my parameters after 2 days of Kalk dripping... PH value is dropping to 8.0... Calcium is also lower than before my A & B solution is used up. Maybe I am not generous enough with the powder? I am now mixing half teaspoon for 1.5l. Is it too little for a 3ft tank?

Might wanna increase the concentration tonite. I am more worried that it can kill all my LS if I increase too much? But now it seems like the parameters are begining to drop to dangerous level if I dont increase the dosage. Any early signs to look for if I have overdose it tonite?

no worries for overdose. i was using the kalk reactor and use kalk for my water top-up in my 100g tank and of course with auto top-up controller. daily, my tank need to top-up about 2-3L of water. i used to dump in 10 teaspoons for my kalk reactor and wash it in every 2 weeks :)

as log as you slowly top it up with kalk water into your tank, it should be ok.

age.png

no worries for overdose. i was using the kalk reactor and use kalk for my water top-up in my 100g tank and of course with auto top-up controller. daily, my tank need to top-up about 2-3L of water. i used to dump in 10 teaspoons for my kalk reactor and wash it in every 2 weeks :)

as log as you slowly top it up with kalk water into your tank, it should be ok.

2-3L evaporation. wow so much...

yup need not worry about overdose as the coraline algae will definitely absorb lots of calcium.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

Chk other parameters such as KH and Mg if u r unable to boost Ca to the correct level.... Does your corals look stress? If so, it may be advisable just to do 20-30% water change...

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

No coraline algae so far, as it is a fairly new setup. 1st timer. :) CA will be getting a more reliable test lit.

Coral doesn't opening up well but it is because my lighting system broke down this week. Have been relying on indirect natural light for this pass few days. Will try to get a new 4 tube T5HO lighting for this 3 x 2.5 x 2 tank this weekend. I reckon it should be enough for soft coral and LS only tank?

Thanks for all the inputs... so far after increasing the Kalk dosage everyday slightly, parameters are slowly climbing back up.

• 4 weeks later...

After 3weeks of Kalk dosing daily using 1.5l mix, water parameters are still not quite ideal.

CA: 300 mg/l (low)

KH: 6 dKH (low)

PH: 8.5 (high?)

Wanted to increase KH, but based on my dosing, its going to further increase my PH. Any way to increase it without affecting the PH? Might want to increase CA when KH and PH balance is solved. It seems like Kalk mixing requires more skill than balance addictive dosing.

Any suggestions? Will Seachem Reef builder be a good alternative to boast up the KH and maintain PH to 8.3? Fishes are doing fine, but one of the coral shows signs of bleeching...

Not sure what salt started off with. But ocasionally using NSW from LFS for small water change. I am able to maintain quite a well balance KH, PH, CA when I use A, B buffer solution. Only when I start using Kalk as substitute then the parameters start to go off.

What is the best solution to get back to the ideal parameters, besides water change? I still want to use Kalk for calcium supplement.

Ah-lim: Kalk solution is mixed and left overnite to settle in sealed 1.5l bottle, then top up at nite using dripping method. No massive storage of Kalk solution here.

Hi nanny,

What type of salt are you using? I'm currently using ReaSea Coral Pro Salt. It gives a well balance parameters. I believe there are others also using this brand.

Cheers,

bgrking

• SRC Member

Kalk will increases ur pH, but lowers ur KH. so does carefully. too high Kh will precipitate ur calcium.

try using sodium bicarbonate to increase ur KH when ur pH is lowered, it will stabilize ur pH.

monitor the calcium level, pH and kH for a while.

it should increase slowly over time.

btw, kalk is only effective one hour plus after mixing. after that it will interact with the gases in the top-up water to form calcium carbonate.