Some enquires

• SRC Member

hi all,

i new to this hobby... was quite unsure of a few terms mentioned while reading thru this forum...

i juz got my tank last wk... its a small tank (35L inclusive of sump tank) with some live rocks and coral sand.. no fishes yet..i have a few questions which i hope the experts can help...

1) Is a protein skimmer necessary for my small tank? is the weipro brand good?

2) what is a refugium?

3) what is a Chaetol?

4) what test kits shld i use? All-in-one strip type? or solution type? roughly how much do they cost?

would appreciate any advise... thks...

• SRC Member

1) weipro good enough for small tanks.. i wouldn't recommend it for bigger tanks though..

2) a refugium is a separate space whereby we grow macroalgae (such as chaeto) to absorb excess nutrients, as well as to grow and rear the copepods population.

* copepods are tiny bugs that are beneficial as they're sorta food for fishes

3) a chaeto is an example of macroalgae ppl use.. its green and wire-ry like.. one of the recommended ones because it's easier to grow as it doesn't require 24 hrs lighting.

4) salifert is a good brand to use as it's accurate, but i use API (aquarium pharmaceuticals inc) as it has a all-in-one package and is good enough for beginners. it consist of pH, NH4, NO2, and NO3.. slightly more than 3red notes..

when ur tank is established u can proceed to test for Mg, Ca, PO4, and kH..

just my 2 cents, my point of view.. :)

• SRC Member
1) weipro good enough for small tanks.. i wouldn't recommend it for bigger tanks though..

2) a refugium is a separate space whereby we grow macroalgae (such as chaeto) to absorb excess nutrients, as well as to grow and rear the copepods population.

* copepods are tiny bugs that are beneficial as they're sorta food for fishes

3) a chaeto is an example of macroalgae ppl use.. its green and wire-ry like.. one of the recommended ones because it's easier to grow as it doesn't require 24 hrs lighting.

4) salifert is a good brand to use as it's accurate, but i use API (aquarium pharmaceuticals inc) as it has a all-in-one package and is good enough for beginners. it consist of pH, NH4, NO2, and NO3.. slightly more than 3red notes..

when ur tank is established u can proceed to test for Mg, Ca, PO4, and kH..

just my 2 cents, my point of view.. :)

oh... ok... thks... but is a protein skimmer necessary for my small tank? cos i not really intend to get one due to the space contraint...

and as for the API all-in-one test kit... is it those strips type? how much is it?

thks...

oh... ok... thks... but is a protein skimmer necessary for my small tank? cos i not really intend to get one due to the space contraint...

and as for the API all-in-one test kit... is it those strips type? how much is it?

thks...

If i am not wrong, weipro is those type that can be hung at the back of the tank one ....

If you want something even smaller, try looking for a Resun SK-05 nano skimmer. I bought one before, it works well initially ... but later the powerhead leak electricity ... so i throw the powerhead away.

some other bros with nano tanks are using the SK-05 successfully, so it might just be that i got a lemon ...

• SRC Member

thks...

U got to know what are the "thing" tested in a all in one strip testkit.... Typically the all in one test kit do not include important parameter of a saltwater... one example is calcium. I think all-in-one teststrip may be at the begining when you recycle the tank 'cos it has indication of NH4, NO2, NO3, KH, GH, PH...

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

yes what kareen said is right, the API test kit doesn not include calcium, mg, and po4 actually, but what it does includes is NH4, NO3 etc which is essential for cycling stage of our tanks..

and it is NOT a test strip, it consist of 8 test bottles with 4 test tubes for u to test ur water.. :) once u cycled, u can continue to test for kH, Ca etc etc.. :)

• SRC Member
http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...68597&st=40

look at the above thread, got picture of how a bro fit a SK-05 into a small nano tank's rear compartment.

bro bro bro...personally....i find that by fitting back at the compartments,it kind of tedious and hectic....if i got a choice, i wont be slotting it behind...my father in law slot it in front of the tank...cos water level is important for this skimmer..but one thing for sure, if place well...it skims well for a nano skimmer... hope these helps...now, im adopting w/o skimmer and see how it does...will check water stats later part...

but bear in mind, stocking is important....DO NOT OVERSTOCK...and OVERFEED...control is important...and what you intending to keep for your reef tank is impt too..plan before cheoning!

hope these helps!

:D

• SRC Member
If i am not wrong, weipro is those type that can be hung at the back of the tank one ....

If you want something even smaller, try looking for a Resun SK-05 nano skimmer. I bought one before, it works well initially ... but later the powerhead leak electricity ... so i throw the powerhead away.

some other bros with nano tanks are using the SK-05 successfully, so it might just be that i got a lemon ...

TRUE! i agree that..POWER LEAKAGE...!!!! careful when dealing with MIC products!

• SRC Member
is the Resun SK-05 nano skimmer v small? i was afraid it might not fit into my sump tank... how much is it? and where can i get it?

well most rept LFS carried...most price it around 15bucks...bro tansk is selling... :rolleyes: