peacemaker's office nano 2

peacemaker

Haha... kinda jammed packed right now, so nothing new. More of sad news though... quite a few of my fishes died. I'm still clueless to the sudden plunge in their health, when my corals are doing better. The peppermint and cleaner shrimps are doing very well too, so I'm doubtful of water quality issues, but I did not perform any test to confirm this. Now, I'm left with only my firefish goby. Casualties are as follows:

True percs x2

Hector's goby x1

Neon goby (hybrid) x2

All these are within one month. Percs have been with me for almost a year. I won't be getting any fishes anytime soon until things are more stabilized. <_<

Just did an 80% water change and a thorough scrubbing of my tank. Algae was in full bloom... love the super clean tank now. Will be exploring vodka dosing some time... still need to read up more about it.

i dun tink its copper poisoning? ur shrimps din die at least?

any new stunts u introduce or did lately ?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

You're not alone Peace, lately I've been losing some LS too.

3 chromis and my cleaner shrimp got sucked by my seio 820 return. Some of my corals also seem to be worse after rescape. :(

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member
i dun tink its copper poisoning? ur shrimps din die at least?

any new stunts u introduce or did lately ?

Haha... no stunts, or not that I know of... :upsidedown:

During the thorough clean up, I found the dead body of the neon goby stuck underneath a rock. I was surprised that it was unreachable for so many shrimps, but that seems to be the main suspect for bad water quality. The clowns got brook and the rest is history. Normally, shrimps would be the first to react, but all of my shrimps are still healthy. Some even just molted! <_<

• SRC Member
You're not alone Peace, lately I've been losing some LS too.

3 chromis and my cleaner shrimp got sucked by my seio 820 return. Some of my corals also seem to be worse after rescape. :(

Is your seio too strong...?

As for corals, it takes time to find that perfect spot. I know, coz I've been moving mine around so much they get pissed and start to bleach on me! :pinch: Most of them are doing very well though...

Haha... no stunts, or not that I know of... :upsidedown:

During the thorough clean up, I found the dead body of the neon goby stuck underneath a rock. I was surprised that it was unreachable for so many shrimps, but that seems to be the main suspect for bad water quality. The clowns got brook and the rest is history. Normally, shrimps would be the first to react, but all of my shrimps are still healthy. Some even just molted! <_<

any signs of bristtleworm ?

Bro,

Could your problem started from the below?

post-2241-1250610828_thumb.jpg

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Hi.. am new to corals.. and I read this from another source:

Human uses: Palytoxin, the poison extracted from a zoanthid, has been used to better understand how our body works and may provide better treatment of hypertension, heart disease and other disorders. Zoanthids are also a popular item in the live aquarium trade, although their toxins make them dangerous to handle.

So, they are all hardy and easy to care for, but there is one more thing you need to be particularly mindful of when it comes to zoanthids. Many types are very poisonous.

There are several types of commonly available zoanthids, including all of the palythoans, that can produce a deadly toxin (appropriately called "palytoxin"). It is found is the mucous coat that they cover themselves with, and if you get enough of it in an open wound, or your eye, mouth, etc. - it just might kill you. Many hobbyists have reported cases of numbness, sickness, and/or hallucinations, but the stuff is actually strong enough to kill, as well.

Handling them when you have a wound is an obvious no-no, but when you touch a colony and get the slime on your fingers (which is unavoidable with these things), it is imperative that you don't rub your eyes, suck your fingers, or even pick your nose until you have washed your hands thoroughly. Really, you should never handle these without wearing protective gloves. Some hobbyists (including me) have handled zoanthids without gloves many, many times in the past, but it is now well-known that things can go very wrong when this is done, even if you have no wounds you know of and plan on washing your hands immediately after touching a specimen.

Wear the gloves!

So my question is... although maybe abit noobish...:

How do you handle your zoas ? Bare hands? Will you get stung by them ?

Thanks..

Brooks?

Ya bro, I suspect it could be brooklynella cuz Peacemaker did mention that it happens very fast.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasi...rooklynella.htm

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi.. am new to corals.. and I read this from another source:

So my question is... although maybe abit noobish...:

How do you handle your zoas ? Bare hands? Will you get stung by them ?

Thanks..

To be honest, I handle my zoas with bare hands, but I would strongly recommend using gloves. You won't get stung by them, but if they release palytoxin, that can be fatal if absorbed. The article you quoted pretty much sums it all.

• SRC Supporter

wow bro, nice nano, took me the whole morning to start from Post #1 to #587!!!!!

I am too guilty of handling zoos with my bare hands too... seems like I better get myself a pair of rubber gloves!!!!

Set up a pico in my office too (without my boss's knowledge or maybe he pretend not to know but kinda hidden from direct public view) for my own view only... hehe. Now looking for frags to make it more colourful. If you have any pls pls pls pm me... i dun mind paying cos buying from LFS will be too huge... sigh. So difficult to get the correct size. :(

Sorry to hear your clown suffering from Brooklynella.. hope you can get solution over it. I have not encounter so can't advise much...

Good luck. Will be subscribing your thread... :)

• SRC Member

Thanks! Unfortunately, my clowns are already gone...

As for frags, I do not have any available for sale. Most are one and only, and the rest are kept in case my main colony doesn't do well. Kinda like not keeping all the eggs in one basket... I've learnt the hard way... ^_^

• 1 month later...