Temperature and corals

anakjoh

• SRC Member

Don't know what got me yesterday but I turned off the fan, leaving the MH on timer. When I got back today, the solitary bubble coral in the tank is all shrunken to its base. Temp was almost 30C :o

I immediately turned on the fan and place a bottle of frozen ice in the water. Fortunately, the bubble returned to normal in an hour.

BTW, I wanted to add more corals after 6 weeks commencing new tank but my LFS advised me to watch how the bubble fare in 3 months before introducing more corals.

I felt that he was unnecessarily cautious but I really respect his patience rather than influencing me to buy every coral he has.

• SRC Member

Yes, I'm in KL. Pity there's no info on location. When I registered, I was accepted so I suppose Sg reef club is open to all.

I hope AT doesn't change that because this forum is really very useful and interesting n I've learnt so much from u guys/gals.

BTW, most marine LFS here are quite helpful. Waterworld n 88 gives a lot of good advice. They even discouraged u from buying if they know that yr tank is not suitable.

• SRC Member

THANKS, Sinn!

I do not know if there's a reef club here, AT but I really doubt there is altho I'm quite new with marine, barely 2 months. We are divided by language - most LFS owners n their shop attendants don't know much of English except a few n Roger's one of them. BTW he is one of the partners of Waterworld - a FW/Marine LFS. I first started a 4ft planted aquaria with their help early this year.

Most LFS would be able to tell u the names of corals/fishes in mandarin or cantonese. Mostly reef LFS are pretty honest and will give good advice. This aspect of fishkeeping is just too daunting n LFS will lose valuable long-term custom if they do not nurture us from the beginning.

Reefers are usually respected because it is the more difficult and more expensive of the hobby. But Malaysians are more kiasi than kiasu in that they do not share freely about their tanks - afraid of being laughed at. But I believe there are many reefers because most corals are sold within days upon arrival - sometimes in the same day!

The best display tank I've seen is at East Aqua. Like I said before, if u come up to KL, it would be my pleasure to be yr LFS guide - if i can take leave.

• SRC Member
THANKS, Sinn!

I do not know if there's a reef club here, AT but I really doubt there is altho I'm quite new with marine, barely 2 months. We are divided by language - most LFS owners n their shop attendants don't know much of English except a few n Roger's one of them. BTW he is one of the partners of Waterworld - a FW/Marine LFS. I first started a 4ft planted aquaria with their help early this year.

Most LFS would be able to tell u the names of corals/fishes in mandarin or cantonese. Mostly reef LFS are pretty honest and will give good advice. This aspect of fishkeeping is just too daunting n LFS will lose valuable long-term custom if they do not nurture us from the beginning.

Reefers are usually respected because it is the more difficult and more expensive of the hobby. But Malaysians are more kiasi than kiasu in that they do not share freely about their tanks - afraid of being laughed at. But I believe there are many reefers because most corals are sold within days upon arrival - sometimes in the same day!

The best display tank I've seen is at East Aqua. Like I said before, if u come up to KL, it would be my pleasure to be yr LFS guide - if i can take leave.

names of fishes / corals in mandarin or cantonese.. winner ;) i really wonder what names they called some fishes.. like dottyback (dou dou bei yu???) :P

yeah.. perhaps coming anniversary for Sgreefclub, we can organise a trip down to KL??? what u think of that idea, AT?

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.