Papaya's new venture

papaya

• SRC Member
You two masters pointing at each other.. :whistle:rolleyes: ...

papaya, there are many reefer used more established brand like Hydor and Grotech from AM..at least it has proven itself (PROs or CONs)..you can ask around..You are getting a piece of equipment to do "dirty" job, there is a reason why trash bag are normally black....dun go by color as fashion.. :peace:

i never show tank...how to be master....

papaya....you can easily seek out the TRUE masters. most are nice guys and would gladly share their passion for the hobby with you over a cup of coffee....

they are also easy to find ...unlike what wlchew is saying.... :whistle :whistle :whistle ....

just seek out the local TOTM winner....like

AT, Scarab, danno and .....he whose name should not be mentioned here.....:D :D :D...of course a lot more i have not met.....:P

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

papaya, there are many reefer used more established brand like Hydor and Grotech from AM..at least it has proven itself (PROs or CONs)..you can ask around..You are getting a piece of equipment to do "dirty" job, there is a reason why trash bag are normally black....dun go by color as fashion.. :peace:

I am not using Grotech nor hydor for this time but skimz, as I thought to give Singapore a chance. If there is any pump made in Singapore, for example red lion, I will try!!! :eyebrow: support support la :upsidedown:

• SRC Member
I am not using Grotech nor hydor for this time but skimz, as I thought to give Singapore a chance. If there is any pump made in Singapore, for example red lion, I will try!!! :eyebrow: support support la :upsidedown:

You can certainly afford to try something new... :upsidedown: .. :thanks:

Good luck!

• SRC Member

Wow..... Been away from this forum for a while.

This is a great tank, design wise.

With yr 20K budget, I would have bought a couple of pieces of equipment that is different from you.

The lights and wavemaker looks good enough.

I would however choose a deltec or red dragon return pump. Personally have used many aquabee pumps, yes they are pretty power efficient but somehow they come with drawback. They don't seem to perform very well when required to travel long distance or through more Ts.

As for skimmer, I have tried from the lowest end, Macro to skimz beckkett to reef octopus to my current deltec NW skimmer. Not going to change my deltec any time soon. The skimming is consistent and the power efficient is unmatched. I would have chosen a AP 800 series if I were you. Think reefdepot is the authorised dealer in Asia. Not so sure about Skimz's effectiveness. Anyway I think their showtank uses grotech? I am not too keen on grotech cos have bad experience using their pumps. One new pump broke down on me 3 times within a year. Now its in my storeroom.

Chiller wise, I think something to the tune of 1/2HP would serve your purposes better? I am using 1/2 on my 4X2X2 tank and it works ok. I think there are brothers running 1/2HP on their 5ft tank and are complaining that it cant cool down fast enough.

For calcium reactor, if your intent is to have a full flegded SPS tank with some LPS, the CR looks a bit undersized cos I have that model previously and to dissolve enough to match the needs of my few colonies of SPS plus half tank of LPS, I had to pump in lots of CO2 which then caused lots of blockage. Currently using grotech dosing computer on 3 parts (CA, KH and MG Dosing) to good effect. Not saying that you need to follow the balling method, just feel that the CR may be a bit too small.

Do bear in mind that I am giving these feedback based on a 20K budget. If its anything like 10K or 5K, my comments will very different. Just my 2ct worth.

Keep up the good work and I love your house. Working hard to own something like this. Hopefully in the not so far away future.

Oh and I think AM's tank is very nice, just don't like the red algae that is growing amongst their sps though....especially like the big fat clam on the left corner.

• SRC Member

Actually, to add, HNS is a very good skimmer too. I have seen it at work at many bro's house and its energy efficient and skims very well too.

I am also having second thots on your wave maker. I would have gone for 4 x Vortech wave maker on wireless control.

It goes in line with your beautiful home and reduces the eye sore of having big bulky wave makers in the tank.

Its a dream to have 20K as a budget. Think if all these were implemented. think still have leftover from the 20K to buy quite a few nice pieces of SPS from Iwarna or GO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Actually, to add, HNS is a very good skimmer too. I have seen it at work at many bro's house and its energy efficient and skims very well too.

I am also having second thots on your wave maker. I would have gone for 4 x Vortech wave maker on wireless control.

It goes in line with your beautiful home and reduces the eye sore of having big bulky wave makers in the tank.

Its a dream to have 20K as a budget. Think if all these were implemented. think still have leftover from the 20K to buy quite a few nice pieces of SPS from Iwarna or GO.

Mr piero, from your few postings, I can "smell" some brand attacks, maybe they arent your cup of tea but definately doing good to this tank. I would suggest you to refrain posting on my thread should you have alternate intention, I may be wrong, apologise if I mistake your good.

Work is stressed up so do life especially now, hobby is to enjoy.

I am not ready for SPS as wife and children love lot of fish swimming.

Updating with recent pic soon.

:)

Hi Bro, impressive setup and good budget to start off.

I think Bro Piero is just sharing his experiences and preferences. Maybe you can do some searching in the forum to understand more if you got the time.

For any brand, i believe they will be breakdowns and it is just a matter on how frequent so as to judge their QC and quality. Anyway, i always believe users' reviews as compared to sponsors' review or shops' review. Like a sales representative selling a particular product, he or she cant possibly take a gun and shoot his product down. Lol. This applies to the shops' customers. Good products must have good supports and after sale service support is one crucial factor that i look for when buying big ticket item. Hope i didnt mislead you to make you think that i am attacking any brand.

Anyway, as what you rightly pointed out, reefing is a hobby to enjoy. Why get "politically" involved(one office politic is enough...lol). Lol. Will wait for your tank update.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Mr piero, from your few postings, I can "smell" some brand attacks, maybe they arent your cup of tea but definately doing good to this tank. I would suggest you to refrain posting on my thread should you have alternate intention, I may be wrong, apologise if I mistake your good.

Work is stressed up so do life especially now, hobby is to enjoy.

I am not ready for SPS as wife and children love lot of fish swimming.

Updating with recent pic soon.

:)

I also know that work is bad and these things are for relaxing. I just feel that with your budget, you could be asking for more than what you have been given from the tank makers, especially products that have been trialed and tested to work extremely well by other reefers who are more experienced than I am. Its more for your consideration and negotiation with your supplier of the tank. My point is very simple. U paid lots and U should given top of the range stuff... It does not have to be deltec (my trusted brand) but something of that quality/price range. Could be HnS, Suhuran, etc, etc...

Different pumps are meant for different purposes. I still use aquabee as a feeder pump for my skimmer and FR due to its low power consumption. But as a return which is the HEART of the system, I am suggesting a more robust pump like red dragon, deltec or even the industrial grade MD series (not the resun ones though), taking account into your budget. Think a couple of brothers also commented on the impellor's strength of aquabees.

For your CR, I mentioned that the size is too small to meet SPS needs. May need to ask them to upgrade it to a bigger version. Personally, I have had bad experience with Skimz CR cos the pump jammed, water leaked = carpet change... But that could be an isolated case. Leaving that aside, you may need to be concerned about capacity. You can stick to the same brand if you like but ask for double or triple chamber range. Also get them to change the tubing to CO2 resistant ones if they have not done so.

Cooments are not directed at you or meant to be a personal attack if you have mistaken it. If you feel offended, I will apologise to you. My sincere apologies

P.S Agree with another bro's comments that Vortech has their problems as the magnet was not shielded in first generation and they have done work to have it rectified. By the time my comments have been made, the newer generation should be available for consideration. Tunze works great amd I am not saying they are sucky. Just that the guy's house is so so nice... Get something that dont look so big in the tank lah. My house ugly I put tunze ok. Pple house so well designed of course need matching equipments.

To add to the disadvantage of vortech, it cannot be adjusted but other than that, it seems to work great....

If Bro Papaya is taking up the maintenance contract, all the issues highlighted may not a problem at all. This happens to my company's fresh water tank.....fishes died...they just come replace...do some clearing....etc and every month charge us a couple of hundreds.

It will be good to go ard LFSs to learn more. It will help alot but this requires time. Anyway, we here to share and advice and this can be ignored if one think otherwise.

Apologies to "contaminate" this thread and shall not deviate the original intention to just share the setup. Hope to see your FTS. Reef on, bros.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Supporter
MP 40W versions are controllable. Got wireless wave drivers that allow to run in sync or autonomously... I have been drooling at it for a while liao...

http://www.ecotechmarine.com/

bro, i agree..some of your experince are quite true. i experince it too :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

opss...for the adjustment, i am referring to the angle.....gotten one myself but yet to use it .......

MP 40W versions are controllable. Got wireless wave drivers that allow to run in sync or autonomously... I have been drooling at it for a while liao...

http://www.ecotechmarine.com/

Algae Scrubbler

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hahaha my hubby run away after i show him da pic of your house and tell him i want a house like yurs..Of cos i am kidding him..But who know 1 day..if i have a house like yours i will tell my hubby i want a tank 10feet by 5feet..hahaha and height 4 feet..

Sori if you think i am boring but i think it is you who is lame.