cycle liverock

Anthony

• SRC Member

hi guys .

just need some advise. i got 20kg of liverock, but all of them is dead n dry up already. my friends pass me that . so i just want know how to cycle the liverock. hmm yesterday just bought 3kg of fresh LR. i throw it into my tank. b4 that i had cycle the tank water for abt 3 weeks already. so now my tank contant 3 kg of fresh liverock, 10 kg of dead LR and sand inside.

hmm shld i add in a raw prawn? for bacteria?

anyway how u guys can help me with that ~!

thanx

post-6-1040310605.jpg

• SRC Member

Don't worry about the prawn...it is normal to turn orange in colour..due to decomposition. As for the green stuff they are macro algae. Can't exactly tell what type though.

The 3kg of LR should help start the cycling process with the assistance of the dead prawn..give them a couple more weeks. Meanwhile monitor the water quality.

• SRC Member
wahahah no idea leh . i just bought 3 kg of bushy LR with some green stuff there..

mrjoe, be careful on those macro algae. They tends to trap alot of detrius among themselves and as time passed, the whole thing will become ugly. Usually people keeps these algae in their sump or refugium. They are fast grower, with a week, you will see quite some growth. Do remember to trim them, else your whole tank will be full of these algae.

• SRC Member

But one thing i note is that these rocks with bushes of algae on them as so much more beneficial critters on them then normal liverocks...when i got 2 bushes, its like overnight, i got millions of copepods crawling ard, and lotsa brittlestars... i think its a good idea for mrjoe to use them to seed the otherwise dead rock of critters....

mrjoe, perhaps after one or two month, if the algae becomes too unsightly, just take it out and give to someone else if u dun mind trimming them constantly leave them in the tank at a corner... they are rather good nutrient removers..

mrjoe, perhaps after one or two month, if the algae becomes too unsightly, just take it out and give to someone else if u dun mind trimming them constantly leave them in the tank at a corner... they are rather good nutrient removers..

It is not advisable to just take it out. I did that once and u know what? For the next few weeks, i am struggling with nuisance algae problem. Imagine suddenly u lost a good nutrient remover and what will happen?

• SRC Member
hmm

thanx for all of ur reply. so i need to cycle at least 1 month rite? how often i need to check on my water condition ammonia, nitrite.

1 more things. by adding live sand . the cycle will be faster rite.

anyguys do want exchange live sand with me.

I think it is misconception that we should not think that cycle will be done in 1 month. There is no hard formula for that. Importantly, you need to introduce something for it to cycle, like a few fresh market prawns. As long as when you see that your Ammonia has spike and decline to zero, your Nitrite has spike and decline to zero and your Nitrate has spkie and has decline, then your cycle has done. Change partial of your water to get rid of the low level of Nitrate, wala... you are in for the hobby.

If you can get live sand from reefer, that will be best, as it help to speed up the bacterial building process.

• SRC Member
3v|L,Dec 20 2002, 03:16 PM]hey can we add herbivorous fishes like tangs to control the algae? btw wat are those algae call?

tangs will control them.. those look like "grapes" algae.. at least that is what the LFS/FF ppl called it

i agree with clowntrigger.. there is not hard and fast rule on cycling the tank.. but rather u have to take note of your nitrogen cycle...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

I think it is misconception that we should not think that cycle will be done in 1 month. There is no hard formula for that. Importantly, you need to introduce something for it to cycle, like a few fresh market prawns. As long as when you see that your Ammonia has spike and decline to zero, your Nitrite has spike and decline to zero and your Nitrate has spkie and has decline, then your cycle has done. Change partial of your water to get rid of the low level of Nitrate, wala... you are in for the hobby.

If you can get live sand from reefer, that will be best, as it help to speed up the bacterial building process.

I agree with clowntrigger very much... mine is about a month plus, coming to two, and i still detect nitrite~!

• SRC Member
hi guys... "since tempered glass like windscreens shatter instead of cracking" but tempered glass is much stronger then normal fish tank glass. but only thing that tempered glass cabinet tank only have 6 mm thickness

mrjoe, i recommend going for at least 10mm if your tank is more than 2ft.. mine 4ft is using 12mm throughout..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
hi guys... "since tempered glass like windscreens shatter instead of cracking" but tempered glass is much stronger then normal fish tank glass. but only thing that tempered glass cabinet tank only have 6 mm thickness

Mine is 12mm tampered 2ft tank with cabinet.. If you look hard enough, you can find them.. :)