Not enough salt or too much salt?

Hi all, just bought a Classical hydrometer & placed it into my Nano tank & the reading is @ 1.006 only (still quite a range from the norm level)... So for such a case, is it because I'd:

(a) put in too much marine salt [hence need to siphon out the water & add in more diluted water] or

(B) put in too little marine salt [continue to add in more marine salt until the hydrometer floats at the green coded region]

Haiz, regret now that never paid attention during Secondary school's Science lessons... Forgot all about density (SG) matters liaoz...

PS: Ok if I'm doing the following?

(1) Buying those distilled water from NTUC to use to mix with marine salt for my Marine tank? So do I still need to add those anti-chlorine/chloramine stuffs?

(2) Add marine salt to my tank water directly & then stir it (or don't need to stir as it'll dissolve over time with the water flow?)

(3) In times of water changes (intend to do so on a fortnightly basis), do I need to prepare the new salt water seperately (say in a pail then pour into the tank) or I can just add the Distilled water into the tank & then add marine salt til I get the desired SG?

Thanks in advance for all advises & suggestions!!! Still have a lot to learn about marine...

Hi all, just bought a Classical hydrometer & placed it into my Nano tank & the reading is @ 1.006 only (still quite a range from the norm level)... So for such a case, is it because I'd:

(a) put in too much marine salt [hence need to siphon out the water & add in more diluted water] or

(B) put in too little marine salt [continue to add in more marine salt until the hydrometer floats at the green coded region]

Haiz, regret now that never paid attention during Secondary school's Science lessons... Forgot all about density (SG) matters liaoz...

(1) Buying those distilled water from NTUC to use to mix with marine salt for my Marine tank? So do I still need to add those anti-chlorine/chloramine stuffs?

(2) Add marine salt to my tank water directly & then stir it (or don't need to stir as it'll dissolve over time with the water flow?)

(3) In times of water changes (intend to do so on a fortnightly basis), do I need to prepare the new salt water seperately (say in a pail then pour into the tank) or I can just add the Distilled water into the tank & then add marine salt til I get the desired SG?

Thanks in advance for all advises & suggestions!!! Still have a lot to learn about marine...

It is too diluted... Add more salt...

1) You wun need to add the anti-chlorine if you are using the those Distilled water.

2) I hope you mean when you are starting the tank and not when it is already filled with livestock. I prefer to let it dissolve with the water flow...

3) Prepare the salt water seperately in a pail den pour in tank. Dun do the latter...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

You know for beginners in marine, it is not recommended to start a nano as it can be quite difficult to control the various parameters. It can be done, but not with some reading to boost up your knowledge. I would recommend you to read up more before you continue. SRC contains many useful information on starting a tank, a simple search on starting a new marine tank on your friend 'google' would also point you in the right direction.

It is too diluted... Add more salt...

1) You wun need to add the anti-chlorine if you are using the those Distilled water.

2) I hope you mean when you are starting the tank and not when it is already filled with livestock. I prefer to let it dissolve with the water flow...

3) Prepare the salt water seperately in a pail den pour in tank. Dun do the latter...

Thanks Victor007 & Terryz (Sorry, don't know how & if multi-quote function can be done in this forum...),

had already done so in adding the marine salt to my tank water & now the hydrometer is floating where the water level is roughly at the GREEN zone... [keeping my finger crossed that the hydrometer is accurate!]

By the way Terryz, as I was adding the salt to the distilled water just now before pouring into my tank, had to do several attempts at adding salt until I managed to get my hydrometer to float at the GREEN zone... I'm wondering in the future when I top up my tank with distilled water & salt (as you mentioned, prepare the marine salt solution seperately in a pail before adding to the tank), How do I know how much salt to add to the distilled water in the pail? [is it I also need to let the hydrometer float in the pail at the GREEN zone first before adding into the tank? But will doing so cause to even higher concentration of salt in my tank eventually? Or is has to be based on 'agaration' & experiences?]

I know I'm really a 'problematic' man, but really sorry as I'm still trying to learn as much as possible in here & via the Net...

You know for beginners in marine, it is not recommended to start a nano as it can be quite difficult to control the various parameters. It can be done, but not with some reading to boost up your knowledge. I would recommend you to read up more before you continue. SRC contains many useful information on starting a tank, a simple search on starting a new marine tank on your friend 'google' would also point you in the right direction.

Hi ps2freak, thanks for voicing out your concerns... I know that my tank is SUPER NANO (actually maybe can term as PICO...), but I do not have the intention yet to go big on Marine set-up now as I've a few tanks of freshwater tanks already in my house... Hence, starting up NANO first & learn about this hobby along the way (it may be a painful & costly lesson eventually) before I commit more into it.

I do hope that my intention to do a water change on a fortnight basis will solve the sensitive water parameters problem also. I'm also limiting myself to not too many livestocks in case of bio overload in my Nano tank... Had done some read-up already ever I was introduced to this forum & also from others via Yahoo! Search... Will be picking up more knowledge (hopefully the less painful & costly way) from the kind experts in here along the way also... therefore, do point out to me & guide me along the way if I'm doing something wrong or not that right in this hobby... More than welcome to accept constructive criticisms & comments in order to learn more together... :rolleyes:

Thanks Victor007 & Terryz (Sorry, don't know how & if multi-quote function can be done in this forum...),

had already done so in adding the marine salt to my tank water & now the hydrometer is floating where the water level is roughly at the GREEN zone... [keeping my finger crossed that the hydrometer is accurate!]

By the way Terryz, as I was adding the salt to the distilled water just now before pouring into my tank, had to do several attempts at adding salt until I managed to get my hydrometer to float at the GREEN zone... I'm wondering in the future when I top up my tank with distilled water & salt (as you mentioned, prepare the marine salt solution seperately in a pail before adding to the tank), How do I know how much salt to add to the distilled water in the pail? [is it I also need to let the hydrometer float in the pail at the GREEN zone first before adding into the tank? But will doing so cause to even higher concentration of salt in my tank eventually? Or is has to be based on 'agaration' & experiences?]

I know I'm really a 'problematic' man, but really sorry as I'm still trying to learn as much as possible in here & via the Net...

Normally the floating one is very accurate liao, 2nd to refractometer...

If top-up of water, use the pure distill water....

For water change, mix the distill water with salt before adding to tank...

And yes, you have to test the salinity of your tank water and the new water so that there is not much difference and the salinity in the tank wun fluctuate too much...

I also agree that Nano tank is not for beginner due to the unstable water parameter becos of the little water volume... But it is not impossible to start with a nano tank, just take more time and dedication to stablise the tank...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

My question to you is, do you have sand in your tank? If you do, DON'T add in the salt directly into the tank. The salt will somehow sink into the sand and dissolve too slowly. You will get low readings in the first day or two and you would probably have continued adding until the desired amount. And just when you think you have got the desired, those that is buried in the sand that dissolve very slowly will continue dissolving. Before you know it, you will have a DEAD SEA! Even constant stirring of the sand will not be very effective way of ensuring this will not happen.

We got to learn not to be lazy. What you can do is siphon a small part of your tank water into a pail, add the salt and dissolve it until the salinity is much higher than what you want. Do small dosing ito the tank with all the pumps and powerheads running to do the mixing. Slowly dose until you get close to your desired result, then stop! Wait for an hour or so until it is stable, then check (usually the salinity would have climbed to your desired value by now). If it don't, then continue with smaller adjustment unti you get what you want. Or if it overshoots, adjust with purified water.

My question to you is, do you have sand in your tank? If you do, DON'T add in the salt directly into the tank. The salt will somehow sink into the sand and dissolve too slowly. You will get low readings in the first day or two and you would probably have continued adding until the desired amount. And just when you think you have got the desired, those that is buried in the sand that dissolve very slowly will continue dissolving. Before you know it, you will have a DEAD SEA! Even constant stirring of the sand will not be very effective way of ensuring this will not happen.

We got to learn not to be lazy. What you can do is siphon a small part of your tank water into a pail, add the salt and dissolve it until the salinity is much higher than what you want. Do small dosing ito the tank with all the pumps and powerheads running to do the mixing. Slowly dose until you get close to your desired result, then stop! Wait for an hour or so until it is stable, then check (usually the salinity would have climbed to your desired value by now). If it don't, then continue with smaller adjustment unti you get what you want. Or if it overshoots, adjust with purified water.

Hi MachoMarlin, yes I do have sand in my nano tank but can't afford to put too much due to space constraint (Will try to get a new thread up with pics of my tank soon...).

Maybe will do as you advised (siphoning out a portion of water to add salt in before adding back into tank...). Btut will doing so next time with livestocks 'stress' the live stocks?? Another question is - Can I prepare the salt water [Marine Salt + Diluted Water] in advance (say a few days) & then keep it til my next water change/ top-up? If yes, do I need to aerate the salt water solution in a pail or I can simply keep it airtight in those mineral water bottle? How long can these solutions keep kept? Thanks!

Maybe will do as you advised (siphoning out a portion of water to add salt in before adding back into tank...). Btut will doing so next time with livestocks 'stress' the live stocks??

Just like when changing water, 15litres each time, I add the premix solution by siphoning with a tiny hose (those used for aeration). Though it is a very slow process, I guess that will reduce chances of shock. For your Nano, perhaps you can dose the same way, and if kiasi abit, add a paper clip or cloth peg on the hose to slow down the flow (just make sure the paper clip or peg don't drop into the tank and forget about it).

Another question is - Can I prepare the salt water [Marine Salt + Diluted Water] in advance (say a few days) & then keep it til my next water change/ top-up? If yes, do I need to aerate the salt water solution in a pail or I can simply keep it airtight in those mineral water bottle? How long can these solutions keep kept? Thanks!

I know of people premix and keep it for afew days without aeration, but advise is not to keep it for too long, eg. >5days, as some do encounter smelling.

For me I do believe aeration to the premix is good for your tank as the solution will be air rich. For me, I do it mainly to 'burn' off the chlorine from the tap water, in a Jerrican with activated carbon. Not a pail, because the aeration will cause higher evaporation loss rate and splatter, making the whole place sticky, or insects who do Kamikaze attacks!

Guess I will do as you advised also...

Just like when changing water, 15litres each time, I add the premix solution by siphoning with a tiny hose (those used for aeration). Though it is a very slow process, I guess that will reduce chances of shock. For your Nano, perhaps you can dose the same way, and if kiasi abit, add a paper clip or cloth peg on the hose to slow down the flow (just make sure the paper clip or peg don't drop into the tank and forget about it).

Tot of adding Marine salt directly (say 2 to 3 days before intended water change) to my bottles of diluted water & then use it (for water changes) without aeration...

I know of people premix and keep it for afew days without aeration, but advise is not to keep it for too long, eg. >5days, as some do encounter smelling.

For me I do believe aeration to the premix is good for your tank as the solution will be air rich. For me, I do it mainly to 'burn' off the chlorine from the tap water, in a Jerrican with activated carbon. Not a pail, because the aeration will cause higher evaporation loss rate and splatter, making the whole place sticky, or insects who do Kamikaze attacks!