my new 1x1x1.5ft tank

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi nicholascjh, do you mean going to the farms in Pasir Ris tomorrow? I wish to go leh... but dun think will cycle there... [Where do you live?]

Had PMed bro solo77 to ask if he & another friend is going tomorow morning, but maybe he did not log in to check his PMs today... Then now also abit too late to message him leh (Fear he might be asleep already...)

For me, am staying in Punggol 21 area, so most probably will take bus 3 down & walk in to the Farms on my two legs... LOL!! Maybe if you happen to see me when you cycle halfway in, you can 'tompang' me in lah... Intend to get a shrimp (either a camel or a cleaner) & a red starfish tomorrow...

Let me know if you are keen also, then maybe we can arrange a meeting time/ place... Cheers

PS: It's also my first time going (or rather walking in) o these farms, so I may not know actually where they are located...

anyone going tomorrow? i cycled for about 2 weeks already. it should be ready.

Hi nicholascjh,

sorry was kind of dreaming last nite when I replied to your reply... [glad that someone wishes to go to the farms also...]. Your 'cycling' refers to that of the tank, but I took it as riding on a bicycle to visit the farms... LOL!!!

Anyway, came back from a fruitful & knowledgeable trip to the farms wth bro solo77 (thanks alot solo77)... [bought a cleaner shrimp, a red starfish & a scarlet hermit crab now acclimatising in my nano tank...] Definitely will be going back soon... ;p hope next time you can join in...

By the way, could I request a small favour from you. Tried in vain to buy the bluish tube for the Gex's Hangon lightset (even today asked many fish farms they all dun sell...), do you think it's possible for you to help me buy one (or even 2 tubes) for me, then maybe you can pass it to me next time if we go fish farms together??? Do let me know if you are able to help... Thanks!!!

Regards.

Hi nicholascjh, do you mean going to the farms in Pasir Ris tomorrow? I wish to go leh... but dun think will cycle there... [Where do you live?]

Had PMed bro solo77 to ask if he & another friend is going tomorow morning, but maybe he did not log in to check his PMs today... Then now also abit too late to message him leh (Fear he might be asleep already...)

For me, am staying in Punggol 21 area, so most probably will take bus 3 down & walk in to the Farms on my two legs... LOL!! Maybe if you happen to see me when you cycle halfway in, you can 'tompang' me in lah... Intend to get a shrimp (either a camel or a cleaner) & a red starfish tomorrow...

Let me know if you are keen also, then maybe we can arrange a meeting time/ place... Cheers

PS: It's also my first time going (or rather walking in) o these farms, so I may not know actually where they are located...

Hey bro, thanks alot manz!!! So by then you'd cycled (your tank) for 3 weeks already & livestocks will be ready to be introduced into it.... Cheers!!!

My Cleaner Shrimp, Red Starfish & Scarlet Hermit Crab are all doing fine when I woke up this morning to check... Scarlet just molted last night (found the molted shell), think may need to get some spare larger empty shells for it to upgrade in case it is growing... Will see if the farms have any shells next week...

Not so proactive to the pellets when I threw it in... Any other stuffs that I can feed it?

Cleaner Shrimp is rather 'daring', when I put my hand above the tank, it dares to come up near to the surface... When I fed it the pellet I bought yesterday, it'll readily grad the pellets & start pinching at them... Hope this is a good sign that it's adapting well in my tank...

As for Red Starfish, stuck on my liverocks most of the time yesterday until i switched off the lights at night then it started to change locations (guess it's a nocturnal creature). This morning stuck to the back top corner of my tank... Also wondering what it eats as it does not grab the pellets too...

Btw,how do we upload images in this forum here? Do we need to host our images up in some external webby (imageshack, webshots etc..) 1st then copy the link in here? [Wish to upload some of my tank & inverts' pics for bros' comments & suggestions...

Thanks!!

yea bro i can help you get no problem. maybe next week we make a trip to pasir ris farmway.

Ok, will try that...

For the bulb, maybe you help me to get 2 pieces first can? (They are the pure blue kind rite? Saw on GEX's brochure that they have 1 which have half white half blue...) [Have 1 as spare & in case I can't find it again...] Let me know the amount I owe you & I can either transfer to you first or pay you if we are meeting up in going farms together... Thanks!!

to attach pic just browse and upload, under attachments when adding a reply. how many bulbs you need bro.

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Sounds like your tank is ready.. Any time u want to take the clown fish, pop me a sms...

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

Ok, will try that...

For the bulb, maybe you help me to get 2 pieces first can? (They are the pure blue kind rite? Saw on GEX's brochure that they have 1 which have half white half blue...) [Have 1 as spare & in case I can't find it again...] Let me know the amount I owe you & I can either transfer to you first or pay you if we are meeting up in going farms together... Thanks!!

its the pure blue one.

Ok, will try that...

its the pure blue one.

Might be going to LCK this week. However, will take public, seems troublesome but will give a try. Will go to kranji mrt and then take the express bus, $2 each, and do some walking...hehe. If interested, please arrange to meet up. Happy reefing. Thanks.

quote name='nicholascjh' date='Jul 15 2008, 01:05 AM' post='749686']

its the pure blue one.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Hi bro, are you intending to go on Sat or Sun? Can't make it on Sat as have something on already... If it's Sun, will message you if I'm joining you in another exploration... ;p Cheers!!!

Might be going to LCK this week. However, will take public, seems troublesome but will give a try. Will go to kranji mrt and then take the express bus, $2 each, and do some walking...hehe. If interested, please arrange to meet up. Happy reefing. Thanks.

quote name='nicholascjh' date='Jul 15 2008, 01:05 AM' post='749686']

its the pure blue one.

Ok. Need to plan also. Hehe. Anyway, saw you asking for banded shrimp, just becareful as banded shrimp and kill your cleaner. It is aggressive and can prey on smaller fishes. Nevertheless, they are good in clearing worms hiding in holes of your rocks. Cheers.

Hi bro, are you intending to go on Sat or Sun? Can't make it on Sat as have something on already... If it's Sun, will message you if I'm joining you in another exploration... ;p Cheers!!!

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• 2 weeks later...
Do a partial water change if you cant stand the smell. If you can tahan...i will suggest u get a skimmer to "clean the water". Best is to use both...water change and skimmer. For marine setup, always good to have skimmer. Learned my lesson...previously suggested to a newbie like me to process the live rock which will kill those critter, and live bacteria....anyway, some ppl do kill live rock to ensure no parasite and slowly cultivate them to live rock again. Anyway, take my suggestion as reference as i might be wrong again....wahahaha...

open to correction. .....failure is mother of all success....lol

Just for your info, u can get a lot of info on nano tank without skimmer on nanoreef.com

An amazing example is linked here.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133238

Their nano reef of the month is also without skimmer. Not sure if anyone have replicated the success here.

The trick seems to be constant water change, top up and keeping hardy stuff.

Getting natural sea water is cheap and convenient for water change if u have transport. Iwarna (pasir ris farmway) sells it for $1 per 10 litre bag. Pacific Reef for $1.5. Have checked on reef depot sea water. Cheaper than buying distilled water and mixing marine salt which i did when i set up my RSM. Pacific reef recently has really cool stuff like nudibranch, frogfish, beautiful mantis, coral catshark, pom pom crab etc etc. Worth a visit. AM got interesting live sand u can consider. ML just leong some corals.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Ok. Need to plan also. Hehe. Anyway, saw you asking for banded shrimp, just becareful as banded shrimp and kill your cleaner. It is aggressive and can prey on smaller fishes. Nevertheless, they are good in clearing worms hiding in holes of your rocks. Cheers.

Is it true coral banded kills cleaner?? I heard some say they are ok some say they are devils. I have just added a coral banded to a tank with cleaner... Getting worried. It was smaller than cleaner but just moulted and now about the same size.

I think in the case of a Nano setup, a skimmer is not a 'Must-have' thing... Maybe it's a 'good to have' kinda thing? [so actually it all depends on one's own viewpoint...]

For my case [Nano tank using GEX Genoah 236 - basically a 24cm cube tank], space is not a privilege for me... However, after reading the pros of having a skimmer (even in a Nano), I bought this cheapo "NIROX protein skimmer" [cost about 1 piece of red note] from a shop @ Pasir Ris fish farms previously also... No doubt it is going to take up some more space of my already cramped Nano tank (which means that I'll have to accept the tradeoff of having less livestocks in it), my thinking was that if this skimmer can help me in maintaining a better water quality for my existing livestocks, I dun mind the tradeoff...

However, have not run this skimmer yet, as I'd yet to get an Air Pump for it... Intend to get it by this weekend & run my skimmer for my tank setup ASAP...

Cheers!

PS: I would love the idea of buying instant seawater (from Iwarna) also if possible, however the idea of having to carry the water out from the farms on foot is really killing.... Ha!! Ha!! [How I wish PUB will design in the future a tap in households that is able to channel seawater from the sea to our house with just a turn of the tap.... LOL!!! Yah! I'm dreaming, but who knows? Maybe it'll come true next time when seawater desalination is going to be so common....]

im keeping a 1ft nano cube, did not use skimmer since i started, and now its 3mths old. Not trying to prove anything but, it's possible. Just be more hardworking in maintaining the water quality.

Hi bro nicholascjh,

looks like you'd gotten your livestocks after cycling your tank for about 4 weeks+??? Your set up looks very nice & neat - unlike mine, very plain simple & so ugly that I don't dare to post pics up here to share with others for criticisms..... [Am saying that the way I scaped my tank is ugly, not meaning the cute livestocks & corals inside though...]

So what had you added into your tank? Can list down if possible? So you went down to farms in Pasir Ris? By the way, so sorry that I still had not collected the blue tubes from you leh...

Anyway, hope to see more updated on your nice 'NANA' tank... LOL!!! :upsidedown:

heres an update of my humble nana tank. will take a picture with blue light at night.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi bro nicholascjh,

looks like you'd gotten your livestocks after cycling your tank for about 4 weeks+??? Your set up looks very nice & neat - unlike mine, very plain simple & so ugly that I don't dare to post pics up here to share with others for criticisms..... [Am saying that the way I scaped my tank is ugly, not meaning the cute livestocks & corals inside though...]

So what had you added into your tank? Can list down if possible? So you went down to farms in Pasir Ris? By the way, so sorry that I still had not collected the blue tubes from you leh...

Anyway, hope to see more updated on your nice 'NANA' tank... LOL!!! :upsidedown:

hi. been away for quite awhile. hmmm. i added 2 clowns, 3 feather worms, a sea fan and a brain.

• 1 month later...
thanks, i think i'll do with some mushrooms and 3 clownfish for a start. maybe add an anemone. anyone can recommend some good place to get?

Better not to keep Anemone especially on a nano tank,,, if the water condition doesn't get well.. the anemone will keep runing around and die and pollute your water,,,

For a nano tank that will be a serious problem.. which may cause a complete tank Crush !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I think in the case of a Nano setup, a skimmer is not a 'Must-have' thing... Maybe it's a 'good to have' kinda thing? [so actually it all depends on one's own viewpoint...]

For my case [Nano tank using GEX Genoah 236 - basically a 24cm cube tank], space is not a privilege for me... However, after reading the pros of having a skimmer (even in a Nano), I bought this cheapo "NIROX protein skimmer" [cost about 1 piece of red note] from a shop @ Pasir Ris fish farms previously also... No doubt it is going to take up some more space of my already cramped Nano tank (which means that I'll have to accept the tradeoff of having less livestocks in it), my thinking was that if this skimmer can help me in maintaining a better water quality for my existing livestocks, I dun mind the tradeoff...

However, have not run this skimmer yet, as I'd yet to get an Air Pump for it... Intend to get it by this weekend & run my skimmer for my tank setup ASAP...

Cheers!

PS: I would love the idea of buying instant seawater (from Iwarna) also if possible, however the idea of having to carry the water out from the farms on foot is really killing.... Ha!! Ha!! [How I wish PUB will design in the future a tap in households that is able to channel seawater from the sea to our house with just a turn of the tap.... LOL!!! Yah! I'm dreaming, but who knows? Maybe it'll come true next time when seawater desalination is going to be so common....]

Hi,

I managed to to customized both my hob filter & skimmer into a skilter. (see link below)

If you don't mind the extra cost, I can make one for your nano too.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=73586&hl=