How to DIY hood ?

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

hi,i just got my 10g tank,L-60cm,W-22cm,H-30cm.i want to diy my hood, any one can help ? got any links ? :thanks:

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

what my dad did was to give measurements to the bangladeshi guys at the construction site to ask them to make it... since they have abundance of wood all over the place... but the workmanship would not be too good lah... there were nails all over the place but it could fit perfectly..

my new hood was made by a contractor... just get any renovation contractor and they would do it for u ;)

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

wood, nails, hammer, screws, screwdriver, contact glue, hinges, sandpaper, file :rolleyes:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

I believe, just by getting 4 pcs of plank of correct size will do. Ur hood need not be covered as long as the top of the hood is higher than an average singaporean height. U can also nail 4 pcs of wood inside the hood to rest ur equipment at the hood. This will act as a shelf.

Advantages of making an open air hood is that u have the opportunity to make a hanging mh light system neatly above ur tank. Besides, heat generated from ur lighting system can escape thru the open cover.

Its just my 2cts worth of opinion.

CHEERS!

• SRC Member

All you need is a hammer, wood screws, liquid nails (contact glue not suitable. get the wood glue but must be water resistant). Go to a plank cutter in kelantan lane or defu lane and get then to cut the wood to size. Just joint into a rectangle with the inner circumfrence larger then your tank by a bit. Then put wood corners to hold the hood on tank.

As for the finish, you have 2 cheap options. Sticker from those DIY store or just sand down and laquer. Both method about 10-20 dollars. The wood should be 10-20.

any idea wer to get practically priced quality wood for hoods that can withstand heat and salt?

Reefer Guy,

All reasonably thick wood can withstand salt n heat. Dont used plywood as the ply with warp in a matter of time. Solid wood shouldnt have any problem. If for making the hood only, ordinary wood plank will do. I am making an assumption that the wood u used is not in constant contact with any form of water even from the beating of the water bubbles of ur aquarium.

CHEERS!

• SRC Member

Hi, mind I borrow thread to ask a similar question on solid wood for cabinet ?

Can 'solid wood' strong enough and lasting to support a 5ft marine tank given the salt water and weight ?

Was advised to go for Chennai wood but it is very expensive compared to solid wood.

dont know wer to get wood.. was hoping to get precut sizes

This is my first post ... as for pre-cut wood you can check with your local hardware shop. First design the hood to exact measurement then show it to the hardware shop they should be able to supply the wood. The other place I know is Opposite the New World Centre (the place that they sell a lot of kitchen ware in Jalan Besar) there is a shed and they will help to cut the wood for you, but you have to buy the whole plank which is 4 x 6 I think.

The other thing that I would like to embark is working with arcylic, it is pretty fun too.

• SRC Member
yeah... was thinking of acrylic too... but as too its resistance against heat from metal halide... unsure... aside from which it is ex....

can anybody enlighten this issue; would acrylic withstand heat from mh?

thanks!

No.. I doubt it woud tahan MH...