OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Prognathodes brasiliensis usually looks like a washed out and more expensive version of P. aculeatus. I would much rather have the regular Caribbean longnose than P. brasiliensis, but the later is no longer exported as Brazil has banned the export of endemic reef fish species including Gramma brasiliensis and St. Paul's Rock Queen Angelfish.

that's interesting to note.

brasiliensis has never appeared here before and from all the online photos, they look really beautiful. almost lime-green/yellow.

if they do appear washed out then that's a shame.

Prognathodes brasiliensis usually looks like a washed out and more expensive version of P. aculeatus. I would much rather have the regular Caribbean longnose than P. brasiliensis, but the later is no longer exported as Brazil has banned the export of endemic reef fish species including Gramma brasiliensis and St. Paul's Rock Queen Angelfish.

The brasiliensis butterfly photo is a piece just recently appeared at one Japanese LFS for sale.

• Senior Reefer

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

seriously i cannot get over it!

i was really really upset that it was dying.

guentheri is a very rare butterfly. common in the wild but uncommon in the trade! this is a hybrid with xanthurus!!!

both guentheri and xanthurus do not form hybrids easily.

guentheri forms hybrids with the wrough iron butterfly in japan.

and xanthurus hardly forms any hybrids, except with argentatus.

so these 2 hybridise together is omg!!!

anyway here's argentatus X xanthurus

post-15755-0-22116800-1308997455_thumb.j

The very amazing and beautiful and rare hybrid butterfly from coral farm.

Xanthurus X Guentheri hybrid

it's an terrible shame that it was dying!!!

For us it's an amazing discovery of this fish today. I'm excited but disappointed at the same time. It will be a happy ending if the fish is not already dying!

From now on we must always check out V13, the cursed cubicle!

• Senior Reefer

For us it's an amazing discovery of this fish today. I'm excited but disappointed at the same time. It will be a happy ending if the fish is not already dying!

From now on we must always check out V13, the cursed cubicle!

V13! I'LL TATOO IT ON MY ARM TO REMIND ME.

it used to be so rare that only holotype pictures of it exsist/

im happy that more and more are finding their way into the trade!

Yes and it is only a matter of time we can get it.

PIA super Hawaii and marshalls fishes.

1.5" bandit (we never get this small)

post-10328-0-14118800-1309098346_thumb.j

Hawaiiensis anthias

post-10328-0-39979400-1309098368_thumb.j

Hybrid tinker (getting more common)

post-10328-0-36193700-1309098429_thumb.j

Cute angelfish duo

post-10328-0-35552600-1309098465_thumb.j

OMG.

an amazing wild caught clown that cost $4 from thailand.

found in philippines shipment. the white stripe on the top is on both sides.

Don't see wwhy it is special.

ORA and Bali Aquarich has produced many of such patterns. Being wild caught makes it rarer but still the patterns not special enough.

• Senior Reefer

Don't see wwhy it is special.

ORA and Bali Aquarich has produced many of such patterns. Being wild caught makes it rarer but still the patterns not special enough.

it's not special.

but i like it because it's wild caught!

sorry i always think in a geneticist point of view since im a science student.

there is nothing special about any captive bred clowns because toying with the genes you want will produce patterns u want. simple.

but wild caught fishes with strong stable genome to produce variations so dramatic like this, it's single nucleotide polymorphism at its best!! i love it!

• SRC Member

Here are some pics of the amazing fish! I had a chance to get this fish but was too late. The next time it is offered i will bound to get it.

Guys, care to share a little more on how to differentiate these flasher wrasses? To the untrained eye (like mine), it just looks like a regular wrasse to me.

• Senior Reefer

Guys, care to share a little more on how to differentiate these flasher wrasses? To the untrained eye (like mine), it just looks like a regular wrasse to me.

actually very easy.

take into condition a few things.

geographical location

tail shape

number of filaments

with the 3 basic things you will know how to differentiate all the flasher wrasses.

if no one else will do it, i'll take the time to put all the photos of all species in one picture and then list out the differences.

but not today. i have tests tomorrow D: