OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

I wonder if some super rich kind soul would say acquired a dozen of such Peppermint Angels and release it into other areas ( of course with proper acclimatisation to ensure it is already adapted to shallow dealth and healthy) , would this be a possibility where Peppermint Angel thrive at such new areas and no longer be endemic only to the cook islands ?

It's so deep water that they probably exist in other areas too, just that too deep to explore. Peppermint angels may have range extensions outside cook island for all we know, but ad of yet it's still endemic.

As to collecting and repopulating other areas, most scientists frown upon it because introducing an alien species to a habitat that it was not intended to be in may have serious consequences to the ecosystem. Even though how small it may be, say, a little peppermint angel :)

• SRC Member

It's so deep water that they probably exist in other areas too, just that too deep to explore. Peppermint angels may have range extensions outside cook island for all we know, but ad of yet it's still endemic.

As to collecting and repopulating other areas, most scientists frown upon it because introducing an alien species to a habitat that it was not intended to be in may have serious consequences to the ecosystem. Even though how small it may be, say, a little peppermint angel :)

Yup, this is one of the key considerations when introducing a new species. It may upset the whole ecosystems. That's why countries like Australia are so strict when it comes to quarantine.

I wonder if some super rich kind soul would say acquired a dozen of such Peppermint Angels and release it into other areas ( of course with proper acclimatisation to ensure it is already adapted to shallow dealth and healthy) , would this be a possibility where Peppermint Angel thrive at such new areas and no longer be endemic only to the cook islands ?

A dozen peppermint angels dump into another sea will all perish in one day.

To establish a thriving population in a new habitat is v difficult, and for deep water and delicate species like peppermint angel is almost near impossible.

Wat makes peppermint rare is not so much of its endemism, but the great depth in which it is found.

Even if one day peppermint is found in another area, nearer, say Bali, it'll still be found at over 400ft deep and still make collection v difficult and expensive.

A good example is Abei angel. It is wide range and can be found in indonesia water, but v deep. So to date not available in our hobby.

Also to note, peppermint angel is even harder to keep alive then multibar or venustus. It requires v low temp, low lighting and v hard to get feeding. The first batch of peppermint available to the japanese long long time ago mostly perished.

• Senior Reefer

i posted a picture of a super red clarion i saw in long beach aquarium of the pacific when i was in L.A

it was in qt with a humeralis and a copperband.

now all three are put on display and you can see this clarion is indeed super orange, almost red. it's unlike most clarions i've seen.

i posted a picture of a super red clarion i saw in long beach aquarium of the pacific when i was in L.A

it was in qt with a humeralis and a copperband.

now all three are put on display and you can see this clarion is indeed super orange, almost red. it's unlike most clarions i've seen.

Tat is a enormous show size clarion!

post-10328-0-98600700-1322989223_thumb.j

post-10328-0-38595000-1322989228_thumb.j

post-10328-0-89969100-1322989232_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

what anthias is this?

my guess is pulcherrimus anthias since it came from the indian ocean, christmas islands.

it looks like randalls but randalls is a pacific species.

but why is the ventral fin yellow?

post-15755-0-94026200-1323012691_thumb.j

what anthias is this?

my guess is pulcherrimus anthias since it came from the indian ocean, christmas islands.

The one that PIA have?

Looks weird leh.. LOL..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

A dozen peppermint angels dump into another sea will all perish in one day.

To establish a thriving population in a new habitat is v difficult, and for deep water and delicate species like peppermint angel is almost near impossible.

Wat makes peppermint rare is not so much of its endemism, but the great depth in which it is found.

Even if one day peppermint is found in another area, nearer, say Bali, it'll still be found at over 400ft deep and still make collection v difficult and expensive.

A good example is Abei angel. It is wide range and can be found in indonesia water, but v deep. So to date not available in our hobby.

Also to note, peppermint angel is even harder to keep alive then multibar or venustus. It requires v low temp, low lighting and v hard to get feeding. The first batch of peppermint available to the japanese long long time ago mostly perished.

Thanks Lemon and Digi for the input.

Such is the wonder of wild life i guess, certain species such as Peppermint is so beautiful and rare and just meant to be kept apart from...predators like us :upsidedown:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

what anthias is this?

Neither randall nor resplendent.

Maybe it's new. And it's beautiful!

Hopefully we can get some thru hawaii shipment since it's from xmas island.

Actually they remind me Tosanoides sp..

The shape is v pseudanthias. Maybe the yellow stripes reminds u of T.Flavofasciatus.

The yellow pelvic fin is v unique. Randall and resplendent males both have red pelvic fins.

Hopefully is a hardy new species.

• Senior Reefer

aberrations in fairy wrasses are extremely rare.

here's a super rare and GORGEOUS aberrant luteovittatus fairy wrasse.

the yellow overtook the entire body and now it's an amazing gold coloured wrasse!

post-15755-0-61201400-1323169556_thumb.j

the yellow overtook the entire body and now it's an amazing gold coloured wrasse!

THIS IS just too insane...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Super beautiful, more stunning than rhomboid gold. All velvet wrasse should look like this!