OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

a new chelmonops truncatus. and a juvenile!

not so often seen in the hobby. I remember LCK brought in some before from australia. it is something i want to try this time. should be similar in terms of requirement to chelmon. but not sure of water temperature.

post-0-0-20349000-1371836888.jpg

• SRC Member

gorgeous colouration.

post-15726-0-14778500-1371896423.jpg

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

pseudochromis flammicauda.

in the wild and in the tank. i want one.

I dun think this one below is a flammicauda.

post-10328-0-70506500-1372042758_thumb.j

Flammicauda pics

post-10328-0-22918800-1372042766_thumb.j

post-10328-0-45404200-1372042771.jpg

So if u compare the weird dottyback above has different yellow pattern at both the caudal n head. Also the body and finnage shapes are also different. The one right above has more of a steenei shape than flammicauda. But i do not know what the first dottyback is either, cant find any similar in fishbase.

i have finally found it's id.

it is Ginsburgellus novemlineatus from the caribbean, and it lives under sea urchins. it also eat the tube feet of sea urchin.

Wa if it eats only urchin then it will be a terrible fish to have in the hobby.

Yuri, Digi, and anyone else.

i have recently been sent a picture of an unknown dottyback for ID. it has however, an unsual tail. it is slightly rhomboidal in shape. the only dottyback i know with a diamond tail is Ogilbyna verlifera, the sailfin dottyback. however there are very few images of it online and it is found in australia. the males have very long diamond tails like lanceolatus fairy wrasse.

this dottyback is found in cebu, philippines.

i suspected it was afterall, O. verlifera, but a female. with an under devleoped tail and subdued coloration.

here is a video from shutterstock with an identical fish swimming in this time, indonesia. it is labelled as O. velifera female. is this accurate, i don't know. i have e-mailed dottyback authority Dr. Anthony Gill and hopefully we'll get a reply. video here -> http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-2534186-stock-footage-female-adult-sailfin-dottyback-ogilbyina-velifera-swimming-underwater-in-indonesia.html

so what do you think?

From the vid it is an exact same fish. Not much info about O.Velifera on the net i can find, so for now i will just take it that it is velifera.

another rare one.

pseudochromis pylei

Pylei dottyback has been appearing on LADD with some regularity and costs around USD30 per fish. I hope to see some in sg soon.

digiman you know this wrasse? i lazy to search in the book

Labrus Mixtus (or bimaculatus) is available to the hobby through an EU supplier. The supplier ship to sg and also has many other weird mediterranean species available.

See a vid of their fish below!

For the big fish lover!

Below is the common Sailfin Snapper (Symphoricthys Spilurus). Juvenile is rare and coloration is quite different from the adult.

Symphoricthys Spilurus Juvenile (rare)

post-10328-0-31282200-1372044137.jpg

Symphoricthys Spilurus

post-10328-0-00202800-1372044142.jpg

Next is a closely related but rarer Symphorus Nematophorus (also known as Chinaman fish). It is rare in hobby but common as foodfish in HK.

Symphorus Nematophorus Juvenile

post-10328-0-43869800-1372044147.jpg

Symphorus Nematophorus (Gorgeous!)

post-10328-0-23498000-1372044154.jpg

Wa if it eats only urchin then it will be a terrible fish to have in the hobby.

From the vid it is an exact same fish. Not much info about O.Velifera on the net i can find, so for now i will just take it that it is velifera.

Pylei dottyback has been appearing on LADD with some regularity and costs around USD30 per fish. I hope to see some in sg soon.

Labrus Mixtus (or bimaculatus) is available to the hobby through an EU supplier. The supplier ship to sg and also has many other weird mediterranean species available.

See a vid of their fish below!

The EU supplier price is far too high for the weird fishes.. unless we are able to pool reefers to create a shipment it is unlikely we will get a shipment anytime soon.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

For the big fish lover!

Below is the common Sailfin Snapper (Symphoricthys Spilurus). Juvenile is rare and coloration is quite different from the adult.

Symphoricthys Spilurus Juvenile (rare)

Symphorichthys spilurus juvi.JPG

Symphoricthys Spilurus

Symphorichthys spilurus.JPG

Next is a closely related but rarer Symphorus Nematophorus (also known as Chinaman fish). It is rare in hobby but common as foodfish in HK.

Symphorus Nematophorus Juvenile

Symphorus nematophorus juvi.JPG

Symphorus Nematophorus (Gorgeous!)

Symphorus nematophorus.JPG

Both are super fierce and aggressive..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp