OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer
Bingo. Japan, C.mirationis deepwater and C.okamurai very very deepwater. Both require very low temp and is never collected for the trade. Okamurai is probably second only to Chromis Abyssus in terms of depth and rarity!

chromis abyssus. talk about the name being so descriptive!

Deepwater coral beauty. Actually i cant really tell wat's the diff between deepwater and normal coral beauty?

The 'stripes' on the body... But the deepwater one looks like a malnutrition Coral Beauty, I see it quite often... LOL...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer
the first one is very very nice!

both should be bodianus sp.?

im guess B. masudai for the first one..? or neopercularis? 2nd one im stumped..

ok first one i'm quite sure is B.masudai. 2nd one i dunno.

ok first one i'm quite sure is B.masudai. 2nd one i dunno.

First one is the true japanese B.Masudai. Second one is B.Paraleucosticticus.

B.Masudai is very rare and the very few caught all stayed in Japan and never shipped out. It's very rare in its own habitat and is not to be confused with the more readily available peppermint hogfish (B.Sepiacaudus) from Indonesia.

B.Paraleucosticticus is a rare and deepwater medium size hogfish maxing out at 4inches that is very under appreciated. It ranges from PNG to New Caledonia. Very hardy fish and beautiful but is considered not reef-safe. Not to be confused with B.Leucosticticus which grow huge.

Both are my dream hogfish. Below are more pics:

post-10328-1268746676.jpg

post-10328-1268746715_thumb.jpg

First one is the true japanese B.Masudai. Second one is B.Paraleucosticticus.

B.Masudai is very rare and the very few caught all stayed in Japan and never shipped out. It's very rare in its own habitat and is not to be confused with the more readily available peppermint hogfish (B.Sepiacaudus) from Indonesia.

B.Paraleucosticticus is a rare and deepwater medium size hogfish maxing out at 4inches that is very under appreciated. It ranges from PNG to New Caledonia. Very hardy fish and beautiful but is considered not reef-safe. Not to be confused with B.Leucosticticus which grow huge.

Both are my dream hogfish. Below are more pics:

Oh.. that ah.. i saw it on LA.. but it seems like impossible to get...

Member of:

That is quite ex... Maybe it is nicer in real life...

Quite?! I think it's very ex. Can get a clarion with surplus enough for a conspic. However i cant deny the fact that hybrid like this has rarity way beyond clarion and conspic. Well let's hope some angel crazy big spender will buy this fish so that we can see it in person at RB.

Quite?! I think it's very ex. Can get a clarion with surplus enough for a conspic. However i cant deny the fact that hybrid like this has rarity way beyond clarion and conspic. Well let's hope some angel crazy big spender will buy this fish so that we can see it in person at RB.

True.... Haha...

Member of:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

jakk5c.jpg

are these common blue striped clownfish or some exotic hybrids?

Amphiprion chrysopterus, white-tailed variant. Coralfarm has them from time to time, very touchy fish. They always appear healthy, until they get to your tank.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• Senior Reefer

The dorsal fin on the last photo looks like the reflection of a clear blue sky on the shiny surface of a sports car... nice!

yes exactly. that's what's so appealing about it. it looks kinda like a hooded. but the last 3 photos have dorsal fin extensions that remind me of the social wrasse complex. nice