RedSea Berlin Protien Skimmer

Acanthurus pyroferus

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

not to consider the wattage consumption.... its pretty low as compared to eheim....

btw, im not discouraging u guys about red sea berlin... in the first place i wouldnt take interest on bidding on it if i find it crap... its just that in found a better deal with a skimmer which i find fits my set up better.....

no offense bros....

• 3 months later...

Hi Acanthurus :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help previously.

Was too busy with work lately that I hadnt got time to reply you.

Anyway, I found out that the Extrema was too weak to power the skimmer as I have more than 1m of tubing connected to it.

(Use skimmer externally ->

Pump in 2nd chamber of sump ==> skimmer out of pump ==> skimmer return to return chamber).

So I change to Ehiem 1260 and viola! fantastic skimming action and skimmage within no time!

Absolutely good product despite the many negative reviews and comments from the net.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the help bro! :thanks:

My input on the RSB classic which I used way back from 2000 to 2002. In a way it is a good design as compared to others way back then but it is good only for at most a 3 foot tank especially if you have heavy bioload or keeping SPS.

I replaced it with a DIY beckett skimmer which can put out double the skimmate over the same period using a 3000 li/hr pump. Whereas the Berlin have stopped skimming , the beckett can still put out skimmate during a test I made in my tank. After that the RSB has been delegated to my cupboard when I maybe decide to keep a nanotank someday.

In my experience it is good for around 300 litre tank only.

• SRC Member
Hi Acanthurus :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help previously.

Was too busy with work lately that I hadnt got time to reply you.

Anyway, I found out that the Extrema was too weak to power the skimmer as I have more than 1m of tubing connected to it.

(Use skimmer externally ->

Pump in 2nd chamber of sump ==> skimmer out of pump ==> skimmer return to return chamber).

So I change to Ehiem 1260 and viola! fantastic skimming action and skimmage within no time!

Absolutely good product despite the many negative reviews and comments from the net.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the help bro! :thanks:

Hi Vinceire,

The RedSea Berlin Skimate pics are just awesome with it's kopi-o.... :lol: I guess some people still don't know or would like to spend more money on expensive and complicated skimmers.... :lol: I was glad to be of help and assistance in any way I could....and whats rewarding is that you're pleased with the results..... :D

Yeah , I found out that the extrema isn't powerful enough to drive the skimmer so the ehiem was a better choice in the end. You're most welcome bro at least we know how good the RedSea really is and within budget reach despite peoples comments that it's a lousy skimmer...... :lol::peace:

My input on the RSB classic which I used way back from 2000 to 2002. In a way it is a good design as compared to others way back then but it is good only for at most a 3 foot tank especially if you have heavy bioload or keeping SPS.

I replaced it with a DIY beckett skimmer which can put out double the skimmate over the same period using a 3000 li/hr pump. Whereas the Berlin have stopped skimming , the beckett can still put out skimmate during a test I made in my tank. After that the RSB has been delegated to my cupboard when I maybe decide to keep a nanotank someday.

In my experience it is good for around 300 litre tank only.

listen to what bro robe says...

his advice/suggestions are always good, true and saves us alot of hassle :)

Good for a 3 feet tank :blink: ....ha..ha...my dear bro...used it for a 6 big tank and skimmed the hell out of everything in there..... :lol:

what bro robe meant is that if you use it for a big tank....even if it skims hell out of the tank, other skimmers like the beckett can skim more hell....

let's say there are 10 units of junk to be skimmed....true, the red sea can skim maybe 7 units which is considered hell already.....but beckett probably can skim 9 units which is probably to the 18th level of hell :lol: ....just a rough example... :)

• SRC Member

listen to what bro robe says...

his advice/suggestions are always good, true and saves us alot of hassle :)

bro Robe.....says that it only works for a 3 footer bro Roidan and not more.... ;)

I've used it on my 6 footer previously and it skimmed perfectly well.... :lol:

Beckett :blink: ...lol...this is about RedSea :lol::lol::lol::lol: but I know what he's trying to say there. :peace:

• SRC Member

Hi, I would like to learn more about the RSB skimmer. I saw the berlin mod with a pump that has an impeller with several more blades than normal. Hence my question is:

For the orginal RSB skimmer, it runs on a venturi right? So the pump will pump water through the venturi, drawing in air bubbles, right? Where as for the mod, is the venturi place before the pump inlet? It would make more sense, the venturi draws in air bubbles, the pump impeller further chops up the air bubbles into finer ones?

Please kindly enlighthen me, I'm just curious as to how it works! :)

Comments are welcome!

oh yeah hor..paiseh..shouldn't bring in beckett into here... :lol:

just want to re-emphasize bro robe's point that the RSB can do well in smaller tanks..but for bigger tanks...even though the RSB can skim well also...but probably abit overworked

especially if you want to keep many stuff in the tank..you may skim alot in the RSB cup...but there may be much more left in the tank that is not skimmed out :)

and you happy happy see the collection cup so dirty and full that you forgot that still got alot out there in the water :)

• SRC Member
oh yeah hor..paiseh..shouldn't bring in beckett into here... :lol:

just want to re-emphasize bro robe's point that the RSB can do well in smaller tanks..but for bigger tanks...even though the RSB can skim well also...but probably abit overworked

especially if you want to keep many stuff in the tank..you may skim alot in the RSB cup...but there may be much more left in the tank that is not skimmed out :)

and you happy happy see the collection cup so dirty and full that you forgot that still got alot out there in the water :)

alot more fishy poo-poo you mean still floating around.... :lol: only wish I had taken some photo's of my previous 6 footer with the RSB at work. One of the best tanks I have kept up to date.

• SRC Member
Hi, I would like to learn more about the RSB skimmer. I saw the berlin mod with a pump that has an impeller with several more blades than normal. Hence my question is:

For the orginal RSB skimmer, it runs on a venturi right? So the pump will pump water through the venturi, drawing in air bubbles, right? Where as for the mod, is the venturi place before the pump inlet? It would make more sense, the venturi draws in air bubbles, the pump impeller further chops up the air bubbles into finer ones?

Please kindly enlighthen me, I'm just curious as to how it works!  :)

Hi Cedric ,

I don't quite get your question.... :blink: You want to know the difference between the 2 RSB which is the Berlin Venturi Classic and the Berlin turbofloter ? Or you want to know how they operate?... ;)