Anyone tried this method of piping before?

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I'm in the very initial stages of planning an upgrade to a 2' cube tank... anyway, the problem I have about cubes is that mine is supposed to be viewed from 2 sides, the other two against a corner of the room...

Problem is getting the powerheads on the sides next to the wall would be not very efficient since the water is directed away from the rocks, and having the powerhead on the viewing sides would be.. well... very ugly..

So I remembered something I read which looks something like the thing I have below.

Basically one very strong input with 3 or 2 outputs via PVC piping...

At the same time the flow will become more diffused (hopefully)

Saves the trouble of getting streams (uncontrolled) and multiple powerheads..

How? Any opinions?

post-9-1069834173.jpg

• SRC Member

it will only work if yr pump is of a very high output. All the elbows will create alot of headloss in the form of resistance.

Most likely you will get 2 of the output flowing and another output drooling water. The current generated will be very mild to provide the necessary circulation.

Maybe you would like to run a smaller diameter pipe or install a restrictor at all the 3 outputs so that the internal pressure can be maintained.

• SRC Member
Tried it before, not as controllable as expected unless we are using a very BIG pump. Most aquarium pumps that we use are inadequate to the task.

How powerful was the pump you used?

I'm thinking of splitting it into two instead of 3 outputs, along with slimmer PVC pipes (<1"??)

• SRC Member
Most likely you will get 2 of the output flowing and another output drooling water. The current generated will be very mild to provide the necessary circulation.

Might be possible to install a ball valve at each o/p to regulate the flow from each o/p and to size a pump to achieve desired total flowrate. But will be time consuming I guess to tweek each of the valves to get equal flow from each o/p.

• SRC Member
That sounds crazy....i'm using 1262 for my temp cube also....output is strong!My fish always get swept off its tail...hehe..

What's a temp cube? Temporary cube? How large is yours? I'm considering getting two seperate pumps instead one one gigantic one...

• SRC Member
how high will it be from your sump to the tank... use two output instead of three.. would be better... if the distance is less than 2.5m includin 6elbows... then what i would use is a hailea 6550... it should do the trick....

What's the flow rate one that?

Okay just found out... >5000l/h... phew... how much do one of these babies cost??

• SRC Member

Yah the guy at Clementi Florist looked at me in disbelief when I told him I wanted to hook up one of these to my 2ft cube...

But take a look at this,

5000l/h pushed up 1.5m?

so left with say 4000l/h

Then with all the elbows might bring it down to say 3000l/h...

So each output is now 1500l/h... alright what...

Oh the 6550 cost $68 bucks...

And planning for a 2" overflow... just in case...

• SRC Member
Then with all the elbows might bring it down to say 3000l/h...

I don't think your flowrate will drop by 1000 l/h due to the 90 deg elbows unless you have fitted some reducers in the pipeline. 1000l/h is a lot of flow loss....leh! Alternatively, you can use two 45 deg elbows in each corner to smoothen out the flow round the corners.

If you have 1500 l/h from each o/p ... wouldn't that be too strong as well?? That is equivalent to 416 ml/s or filling up 1-1/3 coke cans per second for each o/p! I hope you don't create a washing m/c environment!! :D

• SRC Member

hm... i wonder if it is too strong too.. but then considering streams run at 6000 to 12000 l/h.... my 1.5k is peanuts...

Of course their flow is more "spread" out... but I'm trying to get that too... perhaps 1" output pipes?

not too sure... should have taken up fluid mechanics module... darn..

• SRC Member

well you have a choice... your output assuming that the head is 1.5m, inlcuding your elbows should be in the region of some 3000l/hr...

if you wanna stream your water then get a flet end nozzle to your t-elbow... water will then come out in a "flat" stream mode... but do ensure that it is below the surface of the water... otherwise.... piangz... macham water spray everywhere... :angel:

• SRC Member

ervine: manifold simply means any form of piping network. And if you are gg to have 2 outputs, then isn't that the same as using the whachamacallit the flexible tube outlet for use with SCWDs? plus using that will reduce the head loss from the 90deg bends in PC piping. seems like reinventing the wheel to me? anyhow one idea is to drill a row of holes along the pipes instead of having 2 main outlets. of cuz the outflow will not be even, but will still give you a better laminar distributed flow. another idea is if you are using 2 main sides for outlets instead of inital 3 sides, use to sides adjacent to each other instead of opposite sides? maybe more turblulence?

• SRC Member

Hm... I went to re-read some articles, anyway it's supposed to be a closed loop at the top, to equalise the pressure or something...

Aiyah not sure leh... a lot of different opinions out there, I guess I have to just try it out myself to find out.. thanks!!

• SRC Member
ervine, closed loop is supposed to have equal pressure throughout, but you mentioned later you decided to use only 2 outlets instead, meaning not closed loop anymore hence whatever I said.

Oh okay i think i get it now.. I'm looking at closed loop actually...