Ozonier

Cedric

• SRC Member

Hi, does anybody know where in Singapore can I purchase a decent ozonizer? Heard AT is using a sanders, is that correct?

Thanks for any information you might have to share!

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

p.s. Oooophs, wrong spelling for ozonizer....

Comments are welcome!

before you guys go into ozoniser...highly recommend to get orp meter to monitor your ozone to avoid overdose....it may kill off your whole tank and do more bad than good....

and remember to make sure the ozonised water passes through active carbon to get rid of excess ozone before return to tank...

• SRC Member
Hi, does anybody know where in Singapore can I purchase a decent ozonizer? Heard AT is using a sanders, is that correct?

Thanks for any information you might have to share!

:thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

p.s. Oooophs, wrong spelling for ozonizer....

Hey ... the RedSea Ozonizer comes with a built in ORP monitor , an air-dryer and an ORP probe if you're interested. :D worth the buy ;)

post-17-1069911577.jpg

before you guys go into ozoniser...highly recommend to get orp meter to monitor your ozone to avoid overdose....it may kill off your whole tank and do more bad than good....

and remember to make sure the ozonised water passes through active carbon to get rid of excess ozone before return to tank...

Erhmmm.... that would defeat the purpose of ozonised water.

The ozone molecues is suppsed to react with organics in the water... so if you remove them before they have a chance to do so... :blink::rolleyes::look:

I think what you are confused with is that you are supposed to use carbon to absorb ozone molecues from the air output eg. on top of your skimmate collection cup.... not inside the water! :D

Well, if my unit was still operational, I would use it on and off... but alas.... I took it apart for cleaning and could never put it together again.. like humpty dumpty! :D

• SRC Member

Erhmmm.... that would defeat the purpose of ozonised water.

The ozone molecues is suppsed to react with organics in the water... so if you remove them before they have a chance to do so... :blink::rolleyes::look:

I think what you are confused with is that you are supposed to use carbon to absorb ozone molecues from the air output eg. on top of your skimmate collection cup.... not inside the water! :D

yes it is advised that the return water to your sump or tank be cleared of any residual ozone. Carbon is used to filter out the gas from the collection cup and as well before returning it to the main tank. High amount of Ozone in is residual form is detrimental to the reef system :D high amounts can also cause posioning in the reef. Used it on my fish only tank without carbon and all the LR turned bleached white.... :lol: Calcium didn't help to return the LR to it's normal state. :unsure: fishes were healthy though and no signs of diseases but any corals in there would have "kaputed"...he...he :lol:

• SRC Member

That's why the AquaC EV series comes with John Guest fittings. To connect the output of the ozonizer. So that the skimmer can blow off the access ozone.

Why not modified your skimmer to do the job?

yes it is advised that the return water to your sump or tank be cleared of any residual ozone.

And how is that even possibly done? Once ozone is in the water, it does its work/destruction before 'fizzing' out quickly due to its unstable molecular structure.

Excessive ozone shouldn't be allowed into the water in the first place... its the responsibility of the aquarist to control that.

Using carbon in the water as a control measure is wrong & dangerous.

• SRC Member

And how is that even possibly done? Once ozone is in the water, it does its work/destruction before 'fizzing' out quickly due to its unstable molecular structure.

Excessive ozone shouldn't be allowed into the water in the first place... its the responsiblity of the aquarist to control that.

Using carbon in the water as a control measure is wrong.

even at low concentrations , residual ozone is dangerous know of any other way of clearing ozone from returning to your main reef system..............? :huh::blink: so using carbon is not wrong at all. ;)

Yes... that is why it is recommended to pump ozone into skimmers and not direct input into the main tank or sump.

The longer reaction time for the ozone molecues in the skimmer will ensure that little ozone is pumped back into the main tank, excessive ozone will also be 'gassed out' via the skimmer... and that is why you need carbon to absorb this or your plastics around your equipment may melt or hurt your lungs (if you overdose ozone).

well, i may be wrong..but from my own interpretation...i feel that ozone is used in a specified chamber...eg...a section of a sump...ie incorporated into a skimmer....and the ozone reaction takes place in the skimmer bubble chamber....and the water outlet from the skimmer passes through carbon before going to other places in the tank...

because what if the outlet of the skimmer is so close to the tank or some part of the sump where there are some livestock or organisms? the excess ozone may affect other chambers where it is not supposed to go in the first place.....of coz if the dosing of ozone is small....it will dissipate very fast..but what if the dosing is high and the dissipation is not fast enough and the ozone gets to the livestock..thats why the carbon, whether place as airfilter to protect us or place as waterfilter at the outlet stage to protect the living stuff in the tank is a guarantee against accidental overdosing and poisoning when the ozone flows to other parts of the tank before dissipation :)

• SRC Member
well, i may be wrong..but from my own interpretation...i feel that ozone is used in a specified chamber...eg...a section of a sump...ie incorporated into a skimmer....and the ozone reaction takes place in the skimmer bubble chamber....and the water outlet from the skimmer passes through carbon before going to other places in the tank...

because what if the outlet of the skimmer is so close to the tank or some part of the sump where there are some livestock or organisms? the excess ozone may affect other chambers where it is not supposed to go in the first place.....of coz if the dosing of ozone is small....it will dissipate very fast..but what if the dosing is high and the dissipation is not fast enough and the ozone gets to the livestock..thats why the carbon, whether place as airfilter to protect us or place as waterfilter at the outlet stage to protect the living stuff in the tank is a guarantee against accidental overdosing and poisoning when the ozone flows to other parts of the tank before dissipation :)

that is absolutely right because ozone can and will destroy all nitrifying bacteria in it's path and I dread to think what it will do to a reef system if one is not careful in placing activated carbon in the right places. :cry:

Here are some quotes i cut and paste about carbon use with ozonizers...

"For the rest of us hobbyists that do not have access to bromine free artificial seawater, we must make sure that all water which comes into contact with ozone has to pass through a carbon post filter before returning to the display tank. Carbon will remove secondary oxidants from ozone contact which otherwise would wipe out your tank."

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...ozonizer+carbon

"I feel that it is important to make sure that you run the effluent over carbon. You don't know what free radicals you may be letting loose in your tank otherwise. I'm not really sure how much impact it'll really have on planktonic life, since I'm not too convinced that the stuff that runs through your skimmer survives real well anyway. Half of it probably ends up in the skimmate. Half chopped by the pump etc... Now, granted, algae scrubbers/refugiums and other low tech methods of improving nutrient export are available, but properly used, I feel that ozone is a plus. Definitely use an air drier, an ORP monitor/controller, and only run it through a skimmer or reactor with carbon filtration of the outflow. My two cents."

"Went to a fish store over the weekend and saw this guy has ozone runing in his tank. He has it going into this towe with biobals in it at it is kept at 3 psi pressure. From here the water goes into another cylinder that is full of carbon and as it goes thru it it eventually goes into the sump----> tank.

He tells me the first chanber with the bioballs is to spread the water thin and saturate it with ozone while the other chamber with the carbon media is to remove it completely before it goes to the tank so it doesn't damage the inhabitants or the fish"

Well, what they say may be wrong..but if i ever use ozone..i definitely put carbon everywhere i can..LOL..kiasu :rolleyes:

well, just to be safe, whether you want to use carbon or not...just place the section where ozone is used as far away from livestock as possible...so that natural dissipation can take place before any excess radicals?/ozone can get to them :)

better be safe than sorry...but another thing to note is that most ozonizers for aquarium may not be producing so much ozone, that's why most can get away without putting carbon even...

unless you are using an industrial size ozonizer :blink::lol::blink:

http://www.thereefweb.com/ozone.htm

Removing excess ozone:

Whether you use a skimmer or a reactor, all effluent (the clean water coming out of the skimmer or reactor) should be carbon filtered. This removes excess ozone before the water returns to the tank. In most tanks this is probably more of a precaution than necessity. Since ozone is so unstable, it has a very short life, especially when turbulently mixed with water containing organic material. Most, if not all, of the ozone will be consumed in the reactions occurring in the skimmer or reactor. Nevertheless, carbon filtration is an advisable precaution.

You should also consider carbon filtering the air that comes out of the skimmer or reactor because inhaling excess ozone can be harmful to your health. (You can smell ozone if excess is escaping. It has a slightly metallic smell many people compare to bleach. The metallic smell you experience when using electric power tools, especially power drills, is ozone.) If you smell ozone near your sump, you should carbon filter the air output

hmmm... precaution is good... I didn't worry about excess ozone as I read that most aquarium ozonizers do not produce that much ozone anyway, even if cranked up. But better to be safe than sorry! :)

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member
excessive ozone will also be 'gassed out' via the skimmer... and that is why you need carbon to absorb this or your plastics around your equipment may melt or hurt your lungs (if you overdose ozone).

Sorry Guys, another question, how do u sorb the excessive Ozone the gassed out from the skimmer (collection cup?) Do we juz place a bag of Carbon on the CUP cover or ... ? pls advise ..

mydog.gif

• SRC Member

if you're using an ozonizer for your reef system just place the carbon near the outlet of your system where the water flows out and if your collection cup has a second compartment for carbon then you place it there but if not there isn't a need to place carbon on top of your collection cup. Using an ozonizer for a reef system you can't go more then 25mv as there is no odour when the machine emits that amount. Any higher then carbon is necessary..... ;) but you don't want to fry your invertibrates or fishes.... :lol: I am using the RedSea Ozonizer Aquazone Plus 200 and anything above 50mv has a powerful odour.